What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad name for Manly trial

samshark

Juniors
Sharks Side Named For Trial Match

Sunday, 7 February 2010
SEE YOUR STARS!

Cronulla fans will have the chance to see eight of their new Sharks recruits take the field in their highly anticipated opening trial match against the Manly Sea Eagles.
New recruits Dean Collis, John Morris, Stuart Flanagan, Albert Kelly, Nathan Gardner, Josh Cordoba, Siosaia Vave and Adam Cuthbertson will all make their first appearance since joining the club.
Experienced campaigner, John Morris, will join captain Trent Barrett in the halves while Stuart Flanagan will pull on the number nine jersey to start with. Bookends Luke Douglas and Kade Snowden will again lead from the front after a consistently solid showing last season.
"I will be good to get amongst it again," Douglas said.
"We both had to play a lot of game time last year, so I suppose we'll take on a similar role this season and try our best to lead the forwards around starting this Friday night."
"We've got a lot of depth in key positions, so fingers crossed everyone stays fit and we can keep the same group of players on the field."
In what is sure to be an attractive game for everyone, Sharks fan will get to see their first hit-out of the year at home - Toyota Stadium.
Anthony Tupou and Blake Ferguson were not named in the side after both were selected to play for the NRL and Indigenous All Star sides respectively in the historical match to be played the following night on the Gold Coast.
Paul Gallen, Scott Porter, Paul Aiton and Taulima Tautai were not considered for the match due to injury.
In their return to Toyota Stadium, the Sharks will look to start their season on a high and string a few combinations together early on in the match.
Cronulla Sharks side to play Manly this Friday Night at Toyota Stadium-
1. Nathan Stapleton
2. Luke Covell
3. Ben Pomeroy
4. Dean Collis
5. Isaac Gordon
6. Trent Barrett
7. John Morris
8. Kade Snowden
9. Stuart Flanagan
10. Luke Douglas
11. Reece Williams
12. Grant Millington
13. Jayson Bukuya

Substitutes: (unlimited)
Nathan Gardner
Albert Kelly
Matthew Wright
Stewart Mills
Josh Cordoba
Lancen Juodo
Siosaia Vave
Adam Cuthbertson
http://www.sharks.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=22405&sharks-side-named-for-trial-match

Why do we need to trial Pom in the centres?

I thought a year of trials in that position last year confirmed he was crap!

Great to see Bukuya in the run on side.

If he stays fit this year he could really shine.

samshark

Juniors
Pom is not crap. How did he go in 2008?
Yes he lost his way last year with too many mistakes and he lacks a bit of skill but physically he is so strong, has a presence, good ball runner and defender. You need a centre like that.

Have to agree to disagree on that one Sam.

I see him now as a backrower and a stop gap centre when required now.

samshark

Juniors
If he can dramatically lower his mistake rate I am more than happy with what he can offer in the centres. Is a very strong man.

samshark

Juniors
Stewart Mills. Local junior, only 18 I think. Fullback/winger. Destined for big things according to Joey Grima and would have played NSW U18 last year if not for injury. Personally from what Ive seen I think he is a couple of years away.

Eion

First Grade
John Morris at Half - A recipe for success
I don't disagree there. Hopefully it's just because porter is unavailable.

BTW - f**king pom?? To me it's not a learn to catch thing. Whether it's the pressure or he's just not wired for it, the bloke simply cannot catch and will never be able to.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I am with sam too, the Pom can redeem himself.

IMO he has to play right side, on the left his handling gets worse.

ghoti

Bench
I didn't catch must of the 2009 season on account of being overseas, but his 2008 form was fantastic...he's definitely someone I'd like to see given another shot in the event that he comes through. But, as how many years with Simmons showed; how many chances can you give a guy?

samshark

Juniors
I didn't catch must of the 2009 season on account of being overseas, but his 2008 form was fantastic...he's definitely someone I'd like to see given another shot in the event that he comes through. But, as how many years with Simmons showed; how many chances can you give a guy?

Based on that comparison Pom has another 5 years to prove himself.

Pom's already proved himself anyway. If he can just improve his hands and get a bit smarter then with his size and strength you are talking about an origin player.

S.R.

Juniors
So going off that report, the full strength side at the moment looks something like this?

1. Nathan Stapleton
2. Luke Covell
3. Ben Pomeroy
4. Dean Collis
5. Blake Ferguson
6. Trent Barrett
7. John Morris / Scott Porter
8. Kade Snowden
9. Stuart Flanagan
10. Luke Douglas
11. Grant Millington
12. Paul Gallen