What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad succession

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Nah my eyes are shot. Golf is it these days, and it’s been hot AF up here over summer so haven’t had a hit in ages.

I have the same problem, cant find the f**king golf balls but that's not becuase of my eyes

Gronk

Staff member
So why is Rodwell still listed on our books @ the NRL ? Isn’t he actually playing for Wakefield Trinity now ? It can’t be that be are still paying some of his wages, because if true, Joe O would still be on the Tigers list , Waqa would have been on the Pennys list for years after he left.

Rodwell was on the Wakefield bench yesterday, but is still in our Top 30, per NRL signings thingy.

84 Baby

Referee
Utility: Brown, Gutherson (31), Talagi (20)*
Fullback: -
W/C: Dunster (26)", Penisini, Russell (23), Sivo
Half: Moses
Hooker: Hands (26), Lussick (30)
Edge forward: Cartwright (31), Doorey (25), Lane, Mataele (23), Matterson, Tuilagi (26)
Middle: Campbell-Gillard (32), Greig, Hopgood (26), Moretti (25), Ofahengaue (30), Paulo, Tuivati (20)

My take with assumed Lomax signing:
Brown has 2026 option to decide. I think we’ll get an indication this year/offseason which way that’s heading.
Gutho will depend on Drown. With Lomax and Drown, it could be a case of how much Gutho is willing to take, because we’ll have halves and Lomax can play fullback.
Talagi will depend on Drown & Gutho and his own development. I still think he’s capable of being a high class centre, but obviously there’s musical chairs there. And honestly if we allow him (& Sanders) to walk, why would we bother with juniors in future.
Dunster sorry bud but we don’t intend to take up our side of option.
Penisini is another with a f**ken option. Lomax gives us alternatives but FMD.
Russell reassess in offseason.
Sivo if French Rugby wants him, he can go. No intention to take up our side of option.
Moses rehab and give him all the help he needs. IMO he’s the only untouchable player we have.
Hands/Lussick ideally we dont go into 2026 with either as first choice. I’d take either as backup. Mrthur changes equation slightly but hooker IMO is even more uncertain than the Gutho/Drown/Lomax situation.
Cartwright probably warranted enough to be resigned.
Doorey reassess in offseason. Everyone can see he’s skilled but unfit.
Lane what’s that? Another f**ken option? Personally I’d move him on. He can be great but he can also be disinterested.
Mataele in no rush to resign.
Matterson after past couple of weeks I’d offer to Dragons this year. Especially after his f**k up to start last year, he’s way too disinterested at the moment.
Tuilagi no rush but probably yes maybe.
RCG seems a man preoccupied at the moment which is totally warranted. I’m leaning to resigning but it’s not going to be huge contract.
Greig reassess in offseason.
Hopgood hasn’t had the greatest season so far but I think he should be. 2nd year yips hopefully.
Moretti no real rush but probably worth another year or two.
Ofahengaue kinda depends on RCG/Matterson. I think yes but also not a bank breaker.
Paulo at this stage… I think this contract is possibly his swansong. Reassess in offseason but he’ll be 33 already in his final year.
Tuivati see Talagi a bit. Especially with Paulo/RCG/Ofahengaue in 30s, we need some youthful replacement.

Legal Eel

Juniors
Edge forward: Cartwright (31), Doorey (25), Lane, Mataele (23), Matterson, Tuilagi (26)
Middle: Campbell-Gillard (32), Greig, Hopgood (26), Moretti (25), Ofahengaue (30), Paulo, Tuivati (20)

Brown has 2026 option to decide. I think we’ll get an indication this year/offseason which way that’s heading.
Gutho will depend on Drown. With Lomax and Drown, it could be a case of how much Gutho is willing to take, because we’ll have halves and Lomax can play fullback.
Talagi will depend on Drown & Gutho and his own development. I still think he’s capable of being a high class centre, but obviously there’s musical chairs there. And honestly if we allow him (& Sanders) to walk, why would we bother with juniors in future.
Sivo if French Rugby wants him, he can go. No intention to take up our side of option.
Moses rehab and give him all the help he needs. IMO he’s the only untouchable player we have.
Hands/Lussick ideally we dont go into 2026 with either as first choice. I’d take either as backup. Mrthur changes equation slightly but hooker IMO is even more uncertain than the Gutho/Drown/Lomax situation.
Lane what’s that? Another f**ken option? Personally I’d move him on. He can be great but he can also be disinterested.
Matterson after past couple of weeks I’d offer to Dragons this year. Especially after his f**k up to start last year, he’s way too disinterested at the moment.
RCG seems a man preoccupied at the moment which is totally warranted. I’m leaning to resigning but it’s not going to be huge contract.
Hopgood hasn’t had the greatest season so far but I think he should be. 2nd year yips hopefully.
Ofahengaue kinda depends on RCG/Matterson. I think yes but also not a bank breaker.
Paulo at this stage… I think this contract is possibly his swansong. Reassess in offseason but he’ll be 33 already in his final year.
Tuivati see Talagi a bit. Especially with Paulo/RCG/Ofahengaue in 30s, we need some youthful replacement.
Good read - agree with a great deal of it and it’s fairly obvious that genuine wingers and dummy half are our Achilles heels

however, I personally remain unconvinced that new recruits will solve anything unless we have coaching reset/refresh

just think it’s stale

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Lomax:

* = player option
¢ = club option
" = mutual option
^ = development contract

Utility: Asi (24), Brown, Gutherson, Talagi
W/C: Cini (24), Dunster, Harper (26), Penisini, Russell, Simonsson (26), Sivo
Half: Moses, Sanders (20)^
Hooker: Hands, Lussick
Edge forward: Brazel (21)^, Cartwright, Doorey, Guymer (20)^, Lane, Mataele, Matterson, Tuilagi
Middle: Campbell-Gillard, Greig, Hopgood, Makatoa (31), Moretti^, Ofahengaue, Ogden (28), Paulo, Taumoepenu (23), Tuivati^

W/C: Dunster (26)", Lomax, Penisini, Russell (23), Sivo

Utility: Brown*
W/C: Lomax, Penisini (24)*, Sivo (33)"
Hooker: -
Edge forward: Lane (32)", Matterson (32)*
Middle: Greig (27), Paulo (33)

W/C: Lomax
Half: Moses*
Edge forward: -
Middle: -

W/C: Lomax (29)
Half: Moses (34)*

W/C: -
Half: -

Utility: Brown (31)*

So we (officially) have 28 merkins in this year's top 30, and 22 in the 2025 squad.

yy_cheng

Coach

Good read. The pack is aging and we really need Moretti or Greig to pick up when Junz and RCG really slows down.

Dunno why, but I like Asi. I think he could make a good 14 (pass and kick ) and as a backup for the backline if there is injury during a game. He will also been a good backup if a half goes down.

He reminds me of Corey Norman skill wise and I like the way he holds the pass ala Warriors. I reckon he could also play the Fogarty role if Mitch goes down.

Blaize should be Wing. Russell was crap under the high ball at the beginning and he has improved heaps. Blaize can learn that too.

Gronk

Staff member
Good read. The pack is aging and we really need Moretti or Greig to pick up when Junz and RCG really slows down.

Dunno why, but I like Asi. I think he could make a good 14 (pass and kick ) and as a backup for the backline if there is injury during a game. He will also been a good backup if a half goes down.

He reminds me of Corey Norman skill wise and I like the way he holds the pass ala Warriors. I reckon he could also play the Fogarty role if Mitch goes down.

Blaize should be Wing. Russell was crap under the high ball at the beginning and he has improved heaps. Blaize can learn that too.
Asi was given the same opportunity last year when Dylan was out. First game was great and then his form started to drop over the weeks until he was dogshit.

This is the problem with fringe NRL players, they can play out their skin for a game here n there, but get found out when it comes to consistency.

I like him too, but have also seen him in reggies arm grab and play some putrid footy.

Hopefully this time around he has learnt his lesson.

the phantom menace

First Grade
W/C: Dunster (26)", Lomax, Penisini, Russell (23), Sivo
FFS, how is Lomax not already a "Utility", if Gutherson and Brown are? 😂

Lomax has already played wing, centre and fullback in NRL.

the phantom menace

First Grade
How smart does Dylan Brown look with his two-yearly Player Options now...?

He can escape this rabble of a club pretty much whenever he feels like (for 2026), and if he doesn't progress his potential beyond the inconsistent glimpses we've seen from him thus far, he can stay on here for $1mil per year pretty much until retirement.

Gazzamatta

Coach
How smart does Dylan Brown look with his two-yearly Player Options now...?

He can escape this rabble of a club pretty much whenever he feels like (for 2026), and if he doesn't progress his potential beyond the inconsistent glimpses we've seen from him thus far, he can stay on here for $1mil per year pretty much until retirement.
Sadly he will be poached by the Warriors at some point. Nothing surer.