What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squash

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Does anyone play squash?

I'm taking up squash this year to supplement my cardio workouts and would like to hear from others as to what their experiences have been playing. Does it greatly benefit aerobic fitness?

I had my first hit out tonight and it felt pretty good.

watatank

Coach
Yep, it's a great workout because everything is done at a high intensity and you're always moving.

The key is to play against someone who is a good match for you, someone who can push you all the way and you can have long rallies with. If it's a mismatch it's going to be a waste of time (from a workout perspective) because points will be too short.

Make sure you warm up and cool down after the game, otherwise you're going to be really sore the next day.

Last edited:
Squash is a great sport. I played every day at uni a few years ago, scaled it back a bit but still play at least twice a week.

It's probably the best and most strenuous exercise out of all the sports, provided you play with a player of similar ability to give you long rallies. Like tank said, it kills it when your partner cannot rally with you (or you can't rally with them)

JoeD

First Grade
On the odd occasion I play I always get a sore ass from all the lunging and bending you have to do. If you get a good game it is a really good workout. One tip for longer rallies is get a beginners ball because it will be bouncier and will give you more time to get to your shots.