What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St.George Leader - Oval is now classy Oki

R2K

Bench
Oval is now classy Oki

By Brad Forrest. St.George Leader - 27/04/2006

"Old Kogarah Oval" has been spruced up nicely in advance of its first NRL game this season.

Former St.George stars such as Johnny Raper, Reg Gasnier, Billy Smith and Graeme Langlands will hardly recognise their playing "home" when St.George Illawarra hosts the Parramatta Eels, at what is now Oki Jubilee Stadium.

New lights, new seats, new grass and better facilities...for more fans.

Sydney's drought like conditions have allowed workmen to complete most of the renovations - part of the stage two work funded by the $8 million Federal Government grant - in plenty of time.

When the Leader visited the ground yesterday all major renovations had been completed, with most remaining work centred around finishing the final bank of new tiered seating, toilet and catering facilities and a new third ground entrance.

"We've been lucky with the weather, so I'm confident all the last work will be finished before the (round 13) Parramatta game," project manager Frank Bates said.

New terraced seating and a raised section of the large hill means that Oki's ground capacity will swell to around 19,000 - up about 2,000 on last year when some spectators had to be turned away.

The hill, ploughed with new kikiyu grass, has been raised between 750mm and 1500mm in sections, while a new operations complex under the scoreboard will house additional catering facilities.

An alcohol-free Family Hill section will be fenced off at the southern end, with a jumping castle and re-established food and drink outlets.

But the most striking additions are the new tiered seating and huge light towers.

Individual tilt seats fill both the new tiered terraces at the north-western end and around the lower concourse perimeter. No bench seats are left.

All up there are 6,235 replacement and new seats, including seats for the disabled and carers - double the number since stage two work began.

The third ground entrance (Gate C) off English Street should provide easier access for the disabled and families with strollers to the Hill and reserve tiered seating.

The new stadium lights, erected before Christmas, are some of the most technically advanced in Australia and will facilitate high definition television coverage.

Kogarah based fans who have had to travel to Wollongong to cheer on the red and whites, should be pleasantly surprised when the gates of Oki Stadium open for the first of five 2006 games.

God-King Dean

Immortal
At last, it is complete :badgrin:

You'd think Us v Parra will be the Friday Night game. That's gonna be one hell of a night.

Careful now Immortal, it ain't finished yet although it's getting bloody close.

19k. That's good - the upper end of my own guesstimate.

Although it does sound to me like that's only the journo's or the club's own guesstimate.

R2K

Bench
Cheesie, an independent assessor will need to visit the site and confirm the new capacity. Bates stated that this will happen shortly.

Good pics by the way. :thumn I haven't made it down there as often as I would have liked in the last fortnight due to work and other commitments. Was doing the daily lunchtime tour at one stage - another benefit of working in Kogarah.

R2K said:
Cheesie, an independent assessor will need to visit the site and confirm the new capacity. Bates stated that this will happen shortly.

But of course. How the Tigpies can cram that many people into Leichardt and not get told off by the relevant authorities is beyond me. Still, the plans for Jubilee have changed so many damn times I'm very interested in getting a definitive answer ASAP.

R2K said:
Good pics by the way. :thumn I haven't made it down there as often as I would have liked in the last fortnight due to work and other commitments. Was doing the daily lunchtime tour at one stage - another benefit of working in Kogarah.

Oh, if I lived anywhere near there I'm sure I'd be down there every couple of days I'm sure. Fascinating stuff.

Now, the question I'm interested in: is there any money left? The article implies that there's more to go, although personally I struggle to see how they've got much left from 8 million for all the work they've done.

My guess is the next work they would be looking at would be the hill between Stoney's Slab and the Jubilee entrance. That was on the wee plan on the construction firm's web site.

R2K

Bench
Cheesie, the figures fluctuate but the last report was just below $2 million.

I agree that the Jubilee end should be the next priority, but the "temporary seating" near the War memorial from the last upgrade should also be on the shortlist. It pales in comparison to the new seating beside it and it has to be assessed each year.

In addition the toilets behind the hill remain and it would be beneficial if these could also be replaced.

I would love to see the current grandstand extended a little bit towards the school (without creating any detrimental shadows :roll:) and for the steering committee to look at bringing in the boundaries to make the grass area rectangular, thus increasing capacity significantly. Not cheap obviously!

R2K

Bench
Morenito said:
Stadium pics look excellent!

Anyone know when tickets go on sale?

Should be early next week if last year is anything to go by.

R2K said:
Cheesie, the figures fluctuate but the last report was just below $2 million.

That's not bad. Surely enough to put do a bit here and there. For isntance:

R2K said:
I agree that the Jubilee end should be the next priority, but the "temporary seating" near the War memorial from the last upgrade should also be on the shortlist. It pales in comparison to the new seating beside it and it has to be assessed each year.

Definitely. If it was up to me, first priority would be additional permanent seating at the Jubilee end and second priority would be replacing the temporary stands. Whilst they're not perfect I reckon there's more value in the investment of upgrading hill to terraces rather than temporary terraces to permanent terraces.

If the works so far have cost 6 million I see no reason why both of those things can't be achieved with 2 million.

R2K said:
In addition the toilets behind the hill remain and it would be beneficial if these could also be replaced.

I do believe that you reported that they got permission for a new toilet block. Although as I said in the other thread it's pretty clear that the toilet block won't be going before the season's out.

Here we are:

"On Monday evening, Kogarah Council is expected to approve another Development Application to demolish the eastern toilet block and to relocate the operation centre adjacent to the existing scoreboard and to construct a new kiosk and garage. "

http://www.r2k.info/news/08122005.html

R2K said:
I would love to see the current grandstand extended a little bit towards the school (without creating any detrimental shadows :roll:)

And lose Stoney's Slab and the Legends' Club?

R2K said:
and for the steering committee to look at bringing in the boundaries to make the grass area rectangular, thus increasing capacity significantly. Not cheap obviously!

I'm not sure I can see that happening at all really. I'm quite positive that the design of the Northern Concourse (needs a name) shows that the oval is here to stay. This upgrade was probably the ideal oppurtunity to chop off the northern curve of the oval and begin moving towards a rectangular boundary. I'm not sure the lay of the land at the southern end lends itself to reconfiguration to a rectangular shape and the east is almost certainly in the too-hard basket. You'd have to move the hill!

R2K

Bench
As Willow states, "Stoney's slab" is the best view in the house - I didn't mean an extension that would wipe out that feature. I had a chat the other day with one of the Project Managers and he thinks the stand could be extended without losing the slab. His vision is for a 22,000-23,000 ground.

Yes, following the current upgrade the rectangular issue is probably a pipe dream but I would like to see some facts released on what it would cost, how much capacity could increase and whether or not it's practicable. I guess the Oval maintains the important community aspect of the ground, with School Carnivals etc being able to be held there...always useful for a multi-use argument for funding.

R2K said:
As Willow states, "Stoney's slab" is the best view in the house - I didn't mean an extension that would wipe out that feature. I had a chat the other day with one of the Project Managers and he thinks the stand could be extended without losing the slab. His vision is for a 22,000-23,000 ground.

Sounds good to me, but I'm not sure I can really picture what you have in mind as far as the grandstand extension.

Personally, I'm very pleased that it looks like we'll get Jubilee close to a 20k venue by the time the 10 million (1.85 + 8) has been spent. As far as I'm concerned that will have Kogarah up to a minimum standard from which any future upgrades can be launched.

R2K said:
Yes, following the current upgrade the rectangular issue is probably a pipe dream but I would like to see some facts released on what it would cost, how much capacity could increase and whether or not it's practicable. I guess the Oval maintains the important community aspect of the ground, with School Carnivals etc being able to be held there...always useful for a multi-use argument for funding.

Yep. Couldn't agree more.

One last question. You mentioned on WORL that as part of the upgrades we're getting a semi-permanent screen. Any word on where it will go? I had been assuming it was going to be erected behind the northern concourse somewhere, but after my visit I reckon next to the scoreboard up on the platform somewhere could have potential.

HMS Cheesemaker said:
(1.85 + 8)

Went back and checked my facts. Turns out it was 2.4 million. 1.85 was the original budget and the Leagues Club put in some more money.

According to the council report Saints Leagues asked for a 5 year extension on the lease as compensation. Do you know anything about that?

R2K

Bench
HMS Cheesemaker said:
Went back and checked my facts. Turns out it was 2.4 million. 1.85 was the original budget and the Leagues Club put in some more money.

According to the council report Saints Leagues asked for a 5 year extension on the lease as compensation. Do you know anything about that?

The 5 year extension was granted in February 2004 I think, so the lease lasts until 2016 as a result. JOCA didn't raise as much funding as expected and the Leagues Club ended up tipping in more $. I think the Club originally put in $538K and this was increased to $923K.

R2K

Bench
HMS Cheesemaker said:
Sounds good to me, but I'm not sure I can really picture what you have in mind as far as the grandstand extension.

Personally, I'm very pleased that it looks like we'll get Jubilee close to a 20k venue by the time the 10 million (1.85 + 8) has been spent. As far as I'm concerned that will have Kogarah up to a minimum standard from which any future upgrades can be launched.

Yep. Couldn't agree more.

One last question. You mentioned on WORL that as part of the upgrades we're getting a semi-permanent screen. Any word on where it will go? I had been assuming it was going to be erected behind the northern concourse somewhere, but after my visit I reckon next to the scoreboard up on the platform somewhere could have potential.

The last I heard it was still being planned for behind the northern concourse.

I remember the return to Kogarah match against the Eels (in 1990??), which we unfortunately lost, although John Fifita played well as always :D . Hopefully the result will change this time around. Can't wait to see the new look ground in action.