What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St Helens implodes in a sea of stupidity

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
It really does beggar belief:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/3631253.stm

Basically Saints' GB internationals Sean Long and Martin Gleeson have been the centre of allegations made in a 3 page colour spread in the national press that they bet £1,000 each on St Helens to LOSE their match against Bradford IN THEIR OWN NAMES :shock: .

The controversy if unrelated to the picking of a weakened team, but shows the new levels of utter stupidity that the pair have descended to. Saints are saying they will investigate the matter, but I have no doubt about it, the careers of these two are OVER! The betting by players is prohibited by the RFL but to make things even more concrete Gleeson played in the game!!! :oops:

Undoubtedly two of Super League's finest players the pair will undoubtedly receive record bans from the RFL for this. Possible punishments range from fines to bans to total expulsion from the sport. I would be both shocked and annoyed if the pair weren't sacked if found guilty.

Bye, bye lads, you've done yourselves proud :lol:

xXSANDYXx

Bench
it wud hav been abit tempting tho, knowing 11 of the regular team is not playing like duh ur gonna lose so mch so why not place a bet ur gonna lose and make abit of money outa it. it is very stupid and disappointing of saint helens and long and Gleeson :evil: even tho long did say he did it for sum1 else :roll: unbelievable!!!

terracesider

Juniors
At best they've been even more than incredibly stupid and even then long bans are in order.

Perhaps St Helens should be twinned with Canterbury.

Hightown Tiger

Juniors
Maybe its just me, but I think they will get off scot free. I'm one of the people who think there is an incredible amount of bias against clubs from outside the Super League top 4 and I think they will get away with it.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Hightown Tiger said:
Maybe its just me, but I think they will get off scot free. I'm one of the people who think there is an incredible amount of bias against clubs from outside the Super League top 4 and I think they will get away with it.

I think you are right. Had the news broken in League Express then they would probably have just had their knuckles rapped quietly and a small fine, say £3,800 between the pair.

BUT they were exposed in a NATIONAL NEWSPAPER and the story has been given more air time on NATIONAL NEWS CHANNELS than any other Rugby League story has EVER received in recent times. For that reason and that reason alone the RFL will have to act quickly and show the nation that the sport will simply not accept their behaviour.

I personally think they will slap life bans on the pair of idiots, then reduce them on appeal quietly some weeks later.

I don't think we'll see Long and Gleeson at least until next season.

xXSANDYXx

Bench
deluded pom? said:
Fairleigh Good! said:
deluded pom? said:
Fairleigh Good! said:
I don't think we'll see Long and Gleeson at least until next season.

You`ll see them on Sunday if McManus has his way and they are both fit.

I know! Shocking aren't we :shock: :lol: :oops:

Not just shocking ,you`re a disgrace to rugby league.
:lol: class innit and without long it wud hav been only 36-6 :shock: , owell :lol: