What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St Marys VB Sevens

brook

First Grade
yappy said:
who's this mysterious Wests Tigers contracted player Brook?

obviously I'm wrong but I was under the impression Rysko was under a wt contract? wasn't he an apprentice at some stage?

Spike

First Grade
He still is, Rysko has been in the apprentice program since 2006. Wayne Dunley is also a WT apprentice.

gr8_1

Juniors
brook said:
There was at least one wests tigers contracted player in the magpies team - why was he not in the WT team when they were using Balmain contracted players? (Matty Ryan is an apprentice btw I'm glad to say - that kid has future leadership potential).

Not sure what your talking about here. Magpies had entered a team early into the 7s and picked players allocated to them - which isn't many. Llike I said WT only entered on late notice.

brook said:
oh times are tough no doubt about it, but it seems to be much more closely related to the fact that the management simply doesn't care. I don't like giving praise to the magpies but at least their board members are prepared to fight for their identity - Balmain couldn't be bothered in the slightest.

Why would they be bothered when they are spoon fed by the Wests Tigers. As an outsider it seems to me that Balmain think they are the Wests Tigers not a joint partnership. They train at Concord, they have there football office at Concord and they send out letters to Wests Tigers fans addressed as Dear Balmain fan. I like the fact that the Magpies try to keep some sort of identity - though I wish they would work more with the Wests Tigers on occasions.

brook

First Grade
gr8_1 said:
Not sure what your talking about here. Magpies had entered a team early into the 7s and picked players allocated to them - which isn't many. Llike I said WT only entered on late notice.
I have no objection to the magpies selecting the players they did at all - my gripe is that, if the wests tigers wanted to enter a team they should have picked wests tigers players - I don't like seeing soley balmain players playing as 'wests tigers'. As you noted the current Balmain management seems to think that its all the same thing, and its not.

Why would they be bothered when they are spoon fed by the Wests Tigers. As an outsider it seems to me that Balmain think they are the Wests Tigers not a joint partnership. They train at Concord, they have there football office at Concord and they send out letters to Wests Tigers fans addressed as Dear Balmain fan. I like the fact that the Magpies try to keep some sort of identity - though I wish they would work more with the Wests Tigers on occasions.

Yup and check out what happens when you click on 'season draw' at tigers.org.au :roll:

They SHOULD bother because they are elected to work in the best interests of the Balmain Tigers Rugby League Club - not the Wests Tigers franchise. The magpies management understand that fact, I wish Balmain did too.

gr8_1

Juniors
brook said:
I have no objection to the magpies selecting the players they did at all - my gripe is that, if the wests tigers wanted to enter a team they should have picked wests tigers players - I don't like seeing soley balmain players playing as 'wests tigers'. As you noted the current Balmain management seems to think that its all the same thing, and its not.

Solely Balmain players ? Only 3 got named in the 7s.

Anyway don't care, next year won't have any of these problems with the U20s comp. They will all be Wests Tigers players.

brook

First Grade
Yes soley balmain players - no matter what the state of their contracts there are only two players among them that have ever played for the wests tigers and honestly it would be a stretch to imagine that there will be more than *maybe* 1 or two more this year - all of them are Balmain Tigers players currently although theres several that have good hopes of becoming wests tigers at some point in the future.
By the way since when is Griffen on a wt contract? unless his contract has been upgraded since last year he is Balmain contracted.

Don't get me started on the under 20's comp - I will be willing to bet that the majority of fringe players and debutants will still come from either wests or balmain because unless the quality of the *average* 19 year old player jumps overnight most players will still not be NRL ready until they hit their early 20's. We'll just have a bizzare situation where players go from wests or balmain sg ball to wests tigers under 20's to wests or balmain PL and then maybe onto the wests tigers...

Spike

First Grade
I've "heard" that the under 20's comp is not going to get off the ground. At least not before next year if ever.....