What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St Merge fans v Ben Hunt

Vee

First Grade
I've seen a lot of Merge fans bagging the legend. I know I watch my team closer than others but every time I watch the Merge, he's your best.

I get you see what he does for the Mighty Maroons at 9 or 14 but that's because we have dce. Who covers him for the Illasox?

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
I've seen a lot of Merge fans bagging the legend. I know I watch my team closer than others but every time I watch the Merge, he's your best.

I get you see what he does for the Mighty Maroons at 9 or 14 but that's because we have dce. Who covers him for the Illasox?
He’s not a halfback. He doesn’t have the required skills.

If we didn’t pay him so much to pretend to be a halfback, we could afford someone who can play the position.

Vee

First Grade
I can't see it. He's been your best or close to it every time I watch. Maybe if he had better cattle around him.

SBD82

Coach
I can't see it. He's been your best or close to it every time I watch. Maybe if he had better cattle around him.
He’s a good player. Could be a great 6. Definitely an elite 9.

But he can’t organise. He can’t play for anyone except himself. He cant control a game with his kicking. All attributes that are needed in a 7.

Vee

First Grade
He’s a good player. Could be a great 6. Definitely an elite 9.

But he can’t organise. He can’t play for anyone except himself. He cant control a game with his kicking. All attributes that are needed in a 7.
I'd argue he's still your best option at half by the length of the straight and his impact would be much reduced at 9 without good halves to take advantage.

SBD82

Coach
I'd argue he's still your best option at half by the length of the straight and his impact would be much reduced at 9 without good halves to take advantage.
No one is disputing that he’s currently our best 7.

But he’s not good enough to justify his wage, and is a roadblock to any other option coming to the club or coming through the juniors. And it’s been the same story for the past 8 years.

He could play 9 and be the experienced head in a young spine, but his ego won’t allow it.

lynx000

Juniors
If McGregor is depending on Hunt for game management, cool headedness and closing games out, both he and you are in for a long season.
I posted that in the St George forum back at the start of 2017 and got shit for it. Hunt has never been a game managing halfback. He could have been a top shelf hooker though.

Mojo

Bench
I don’t rate him at 9 either. He’s a good attacking player, that’s all. He hits his stride at rep level, with great players around him. At club level I think his individualism detracts from the team, especially if he’s in a pivotal organising position.

If you saw how Hunt played much of today, you wouldn't pay him even a pie and coke. For much of today's game he was bog ordinary. I can understand why Dragons fans have been critical of him this year. He is capable, but seems to have problems putting his best together week to week.

Last edited:

Generalzod

Immortal
I saw Hunt at Taren point Bunnings a couple of weeks back, he moved pretty quick around the aisles…..

kurt faulk

Coach

I was pretty much done with him after the playoff game against the rabbits in 2018. Last play of the last set for the saints. Hunt has the ball in his hands. Saints need to score to win. He has 3 players out the back waiting for the ball against one defender. One of them the fastest player in the field.

He goes short to the decoy runner who gets smashed by three defenders. This was the last tackle of the set. Rabbits get the ball in good field position and kick the winning fg.

What kind of player goes short there?

What's worse is after the game he says he should have kicked the ball and played it safe. That made me angrier than his initial brain fart.

Unfortunately the saints are at the stage where they need him to win games. He's a necessary evil right now until they can find someone else.

Last edited: