What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stacey Jones retires

Always sad to see a true champion retire, and one of my all time favourite players.

My best memory of Stacy will be his match winner with about 2 minutes to go in his last ever NRL game.

ByRd

First Grade
A very gifted player and was awsome to watch, congrats on a great career and lets hope he can help the game in NZ and help the Warriors in the future, well done champ.

MKEB...

Staff member
Brutus said:
Nah

1.Mark Graham
2. Stacey Jones
3. Ruben Wiki

It's a shame Stacey won't be making next year's World Cup his swansong.

Nah

Stacey Jones
Ruben Wiki
Dean Bell

Without a doubt the most underrated player in the history of rugby league. He will never get the true credit he deserves, mainly because he's a kiwi. He should be an immortal f*ck Johns.

Some of my favourite memories of Stacey are when he was very young, and was single handedly carrying the Warriors. From about 97-2000 he had some absolutely rubbish players around him at the Warriors. During that time he scored, and set up some phenomenal tries, but Australia never really took notice of him. It was always Johns this, Johns that. He outplayed Johns on various occasions. During the 2002 GF week build up, there was all this hype around Stacey and people were asking can he really live up to it? Well he went out there and scored one of the greatest solo tries of all time.

He was a genius for the kiwis, and won us many test matches by himself. Who will ever forget his performance in the 2005 Tri Nations when he was flying all over the world every couple of days, but he wasn't affected. Jet lag would never be an excuse for Stacey Jones. He went out in the TN Final and guided us to a historical victory.

I'm extremely sad to see him retire. I was really hoping he would play in the World Cup for us next year. I was actually certain he would, oh well I'm sure you know what's best for you Stace. Good luck in retirement you absolute legend of this game.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Iafeta said:
I remember the 2002 semi final v Cronulla at Telstra. Every man and his dog had written us over here in Australia, it was going to be too hot, our big men would get exposed by Kimmorley and Peachey, it was a Chooks-Sharks final.

10-10. I think it's 3 minutes to go. Last tackle, the Warriors are 20m out, playing the ball from left to right, Jones at first receiver. The Sharks race out of the line, we're all shouting... FIELD GOAL.!!!! FIELD GOAL!!!! Stacey feigns the field goal, grubber kicks pin point 10m right of the post so Peachey can't cover across, John Carlaw comes through...TRY! The greatest moment in Warriors' history, we had truly arrived. And it was ironic that Jones provided it given he'd provided so much else. Yep, it was great that Carlaw, a journeyman who delivered the goods solidly was on the spot, it was great that Marsh and Lauitiiti and Cleary and Campion and the likes were going to get that grand final (particularly Claery who had missed out so often), but Stacey...WOW! The following week in the grand final, he gets the Warriors to 8-6 in front with 25 to go after an amazing 45 metre try, beating 7-8 of them, untouched.

I also remember a game at Penrith, it's close, last tackle, 35 metres out, a Panther comes hard at him to stop the bomb, slow ball to Stacey, he finally gets it, steps right...chips...regathers...chips again...regathers again, scores.

I remember a game against the Roosters, round 2 2002. Last tackle, the Warriors run it to the left, I think Lauitiiti off loads to Cleary, who passes it onto Toopi... Toopi gets an offload to Campion... 45m out, off to Jones... grubber kicks from 45m out, John Carlaw's first ever touch as a Warrior he grabs the ball on the goal line and goes over untouched with no one within cooey. Stacey showed remarkable vision there.

And of course, fiitingly, he last game... 16-20 down at Manly... 4th tackle..10 out from their line... 5 to go... step off the left, step... TRY! He wins his last ever game. His last home game he had three, that's right, three tries disallowed by the video referee.

There was no better site in rugby league than Stacey lighting it up. Kia Kaha, what a truly great ambassador for this game.

Great post

I'll never forget that semi against the sharks, one of the smartest plays.

It was a great try in the GF, I thought the Warriors were gonna win it, until that 40/20. but Stacey wasnt too disappointed, he knew there was always gonna be next year, and he almost guided them to another GF. I reckon if they beat Penrith in the semi they wouldve beaten the Roosters in the Grand Final.

I know one year a lot of people rated the halfbacks and had Johns, Kimmorely, Orford. Jones in 2002 was brilliant and wasnt much behind Johns in the Dally Ms, but he did take out the Golden Boot award, not many Kiwis have won it.

Great player, will be missed, not only in New Zealand, but also Australia, England and France.