What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stacey Jones

Blaze

Juniors
Needs to have a big game today.

2 starts for 2 losses so far. He needs to show why the club brought him back, because so far he hasn't looked any better than Fien in terms of organising the team from halfback.

shiznit

Coach
Needs to have a big game today.

2 starts for 2 losses so far. He needs to show why the club brought him back, because so far he hasn't looked any better than Fien in terms of organising the team from halfback.
big enough for you??

Scorpio30

Bench
The few seconds it takes to kick a field goal from almost in front doesnt = 80 minutes of football though.

Rovelli

Bench
Everyone's gonna target Stacey. But he clearly is our #1 decision-maker, he's always been cool under pressure, and it showed.

We didn't deserve to win, we had too many guys coming back into the side and they weren't quite on the same page with the rest of the regulars. Lucky we got home.

Micistm

Bench
Stace set up two tries nd got 1 himself... then kicked our field goal what more could you ask for?

Sigh...nothing...unless you're in camp negative.:lol:

TBH people that like Jones return will find good in all he does, people against it will find fault in everything-and the good things will only be very begrudgingly accepted.
Like all players he'll have good games and bad games, and unfortunately we are going to have both camps screaming "Told you so!!!" in regards to either situation.

He had a good game today and deserves credit for it. If he has a bad day I personally don't really like unneccessary bagging of players but if criticism is deserved and constructive fair enough...as long as it doesn't sink to the appalling level of abuse Jones got after the news of his one year signing-or even worse the get a life brigade who like to boo members of their own team:x

shinobi

Juniors
He had a good game couple of shocking passes tho. Fein should be banned from touching hte ball on the last tackle.

Scottey

Juniors
Sigh...nothing...unless you're in camp negative.:lol:

TBH people that like Jones return will find good in all he does, people against it will find fault in everything-and the good things will only be very begrudgingly accepted.
Like all players he'll have good games and bad games, and unfortunately we are going to have both camps screaming "Told you so!!!" in regards to either situation.

He had a good game today and deserves credit for it. If he has a bad day I personally don't really like unneccessary bagging of players but if criticism is deserved and constructive fair enough...as long as it doesn't sink to the appalling level of abuse Jones got after the news of his one year signing-or even worse the get a life brigade who like to boo members of their own team:x

Give this man a medal.
Spot on.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
He had a good game couple of shocking passes tho. Fein should be banned from touching hte ball on the last tackle.

Exactly. Jones wasn't perfect- but he did what needd to be done to pull us out of the sh*t.
What exactly did Fein do? Pretty much every last tackle option he took stunk, as did his field goal attempt (yes it went close but his positioning was terrible, and he should have put himself in a better position and nailed it from there).

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Stacey will be reliant on the pack in front of him, and was today

He was very poor in the 1st half, but once the forwards got moving, and he got room, he was very good in the 2nd half.

He should be getting angry and giving Henderson and/or Fien a whack around the head though. Jones perfectly placed to slot the winning field goal with a couple of minutes to go, and Henderson takes a terrible option, taking the ball away from the posts and to a bloke under pressure, Fien. Stacey had spent 3 plays setting that opportunity up, and the way it was blown really summed up the standard of the entire match

Blaze

Juniors
big enough for you??

you serious? Was pretty average imo.

What a bonehead play to grubber to himself in extra time, handing the Roosters good field position. That play typified Stacey Jones' career. He is an instinctive player, but doesn't have the football brain/organisation skills needed to be a top halfback. A top halfback would have kicked to the in-goal or got himself in position to take a drop kick at goal.

Iafeta

Referee
He helped get us out of gaol, but it's just not totally fluid at the moment. I think we lack depth, and in general our halves have all got fairly weak passes. Moon to me looks a good player, but at the moment he's not quite fitting into our (lack of) structure. Although, he was onto another line break in the first half off a Royal offload that was disgracefully called forward. The combination seemed more settled with Fien at 6, but I still don't understand how he missed his field goal. He's not the bloke you want outside Jones to win a game for you.

Iafeta

Referee
you serious? Was pretty average imo.

What a bonehead play to grubber to himself in extra time, handing the Roosters good field position. That play typified Stacey Jones' career. He is an instinctive player, but doesn't have the football brain/organisation skills needed to be a top halfback. A top halfback would have kicked to the in-goal or got himself in position to take a drop kick at goal.

That's the only part of your criticism that I have a serious issue with. The neo-negative brigade who want ultimate unrealistic perfection are sitting back waiting for Jones' to stumble to say, I told you so. As far as not being a top halfback over his career, that's laughable. He's had a terrific career, and at many times has been the cornerstone of the club, and the Kiwis.

You don't get such accolades as the Golden Boot award by being an ordinary halfback. The argument that he's highly instinctive is fine, but the perfect example of him having some organisation skill is the semis of 2003 when the bloke was on one leg, and turning packs around with pinpoint kicking.

I would not regard him as a top halfback now, but to critique him as not having been a top halfback is merely having a tug. It's a farcical comment, I can't imagine such a horrifically incorrect comment on the forums to be honest.

Latest posts