What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stalker alert!!! / Beer appreciation thread

thickos

First Grade
Coldies are very good, I'll give you that. Spent some long weekends away getting acquainted with Mr Cold :D

Dry is alright but for some reason bars think they can charge ridiculous amounts for them... North Bar!!!

woodgers

Bench
Thickos is on the money with Beer, there are good ones and there are bad ones (although I would put old in that catergory mate, the black beers aren't my favourites). If you want to get good beer then you will pay extra. It will cost you a bit more 69 but you should try beer like Carlsberg, Becks, Kronenberg, Grolsch or Stella. These taste very different to the standard 'aussie' beers, I find them a lot sweeter than the mainstream ones here and it may be a way to ease yourself in. Personally I was hanging out for a VB by the time I was coming home from overseas and I still enjoy that beer most regardless of what a lot of people say about it. I recall reading a few years ago that VB (yes VB not CUB) had 40% market share of all beer consumed in this country. That figure would have changed now but VB will always be very popular in Aus, probably the most popular.

Bugger it, I'll buy you some decent beer on Monday.

For regular beer, I'm a Crown or Cold fan.

You're spot on woodgers, beers like Carlsberg, Becks and Stella are tops, but only if you're prepared to pay for it. I'm not ashamed to say I like a Corona either, it's extremely refreshing with a slice of lime.

thickos

First Grade
Corona is good for a change, can't drink it all the time though.

To be honest I think Crownies are over-rated. Still if I'm not paying for them., I'll drink anything :lol:

woodgers

Bench
You drink a Crown Lager and a Fosters Lager and tell me the difference? I bet if I blindfolded any beer drinker they couldn't tell which beer is which. However Crownie has a good reputation and Fosters is considered a joke of a beer in Australia but they are virtually identical.

thickos

First Grade
I've never had a Fosters :oops: Is there any bars in Australia that actually have it? It seems export only?

azza

Juniors
Well next time I go to a bar I'll have to get one of you guys to order for me :lol:

thickos said:
Problem is RR and 69 you were drinking cat's piss as well - New, or VB. Terrible beers. Get a higher quality beer into you and the taste difference is amazing. I'm partial to a James Squire (Amber Ale) which is very full-bodied and almost sweet in taste. Their India Pale Ale is good as well.

Out of the cheap beers I'd go for a Tooheys Old, but its a very acquired taste.

69 if you're in the city there's a belgian bar near the Rocks I had a party at a few months ago and their beers are magnificent. About 12% alcohol so they're extremely potent but the flavours are incredible. It's an expensive night but they do food to suit the beer as well, it's great. I think the beer is called Aschuf or something... that one is good.

umm...it was a corona..it wasnt vb or new

hrundi99

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
simple to aquire a taste for beer, start slow, get yourself to a level of handling about 5 beers (im not too far from this level now) and then get paraletic on it, ive been tempted many a time but never did it

Thick chops, as i said the only beer ill touch is Extra Dry (which is tops for a few if im in the mood) or Coldies

That's because those beers have little flavour.

Stu was on the money with the Belgian/German beers in that they feature some great flavours (and a kick).

My regular is Reschs, though I don't mind New and Carlton Draught.

I detest VB.

Raider_69

Post Whore
well some where between "wheres the chicken gourmet" and "i need another vodka" ill probably venture into a beer or two and see if i can keep my aquiredness ticking along

jed

First Grade
Great to see everyone celebrating RR's momentous occasion :lol:

Raider Ultra

Bench
Australia has the worst mainstream beers of any country I've been to. Unfortunately Australia makes some terrific beers (Redback, Coopers, Squire), but they are not really widespread. The best thing to do is wait to Woolies Liquor has an import sale, which is about every two months, and stock up on Carlsberg, Lowenbrau and Grolsch. Although Stella is still my favourite drop.

woodgers

Bench
Raider Ultra said:
Australia has the worst mainstream beers of any country I've been to. Unfortunately Australia makes some terrific beers (Redback, Coopers, Squire), but they are not really widespread. The best thing to do is wait to Woolies Liquor has an import sale, which is about every two months, and stock up on Carlsberg, Lowenbrau and Grolsch. Although Stella is still my favourite drop.

It's all down to opinion and personal taste but I really like the mainsteam Aussie beers. The other ones are good for a change and like I mentioned to 69, good to get started on but I prefer the ones you find 'on tap' at most pubs. I'm not big on New but I will drink it if it is there. Reschs Real and Tooheys Red are the real catpiss ones but besides that I will jump at VB, Carlton and the other main ones first.

thickos

First Grade
Well said Ultra :clap:

Anyone a Guiness fan? Can't say I am to be honest. I will drink it if one is handed to me however :D

Raider Ultra

Bench
I was taking the piss Thickos, although its not as bad as alot of people make out. Guinness is evil, tastes like thickened instant coffee.

Latest posts