What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Trek to return to the small screen.

Styles clash

Juniors
Last edited:

bileduct

Coach
The internal consistency of this show is f**king shocking.

So the sentient sphere data combined with the updated Federation databases was able to pinpoint the location of the Guardian of Forever which had managed to elude everyone else, buuuuuut.... Adira has to write algorithms to decode Federation distress signals...

We're at a point where Discovery can just teleport anywhere in the universe in an instant and the ship's computer can solve any problem they throw at it... if they remember they have a ship's computer and a spore drive.

Oh, and I loved how Book suddenly becomes aware that the Federation don't know how to use subspace signal boosters even after spending a year with Whisper Burnham who was trying to get in contact with the Federation the entire time...

jargan83

Coach
After the one way trip through time they found a convenient way to send Space Hitler back in time to be in a spin off.

bileduct

Coach
Hahahahahaahahaa!!! Hooooolllllly f**k, read through this!

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/star-trek-discovery-guardian-forever-carl-sagan

Instead of the mirror universe two parter we could have gotten Space Hitler and Whisper Burnham saying goodbye to each other while have a perfect day together baking an apple pie. Seriously.

That article pretty much sums up my exact thoughts about the writers of this show. They are just strip mining the Star Trek universe for their stories and can't come up with anything original. It's memberberries over and over and over. Remember Spock? Remember the mirror universe? Remember the Guardian of Forever? Remember Harry Mudd? Remember Pike? Remember the Enterprise? Remember the Borg? Remember Hugh?

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
‘A toast to cannibal space Hitler, she may have threatened to kill us all multiple times unironically, but I loved her and she was the best’.

f**k. Off.

zombie jesus

Staff member
If it weren't for the short seasons I'd have given up I think.

Prefer The Expanse and The Orville for the two ends of the spectrum.

bileduct

Coach
If it weren't for the short seasons I'd have given up I think.

Prefer The Expanse and The Orville for the two ends of the spectrum.
Not really a fan of The Orville, but holy f**k, The Expanse is f**king mind blowing. Discovery wishes it was The Expanse but the reality is the quality of the serialisation and season arcs between the two is like the difference between night and day.

Sure, The Expanse has a series of books behind it, but Discovery (and Picard) can't even maintain consistency within a single season much less plan out a story a season or two in advance, and they've written themselves into so many corners that have needed the giant reset button. Just watch them tie up the whole "The Burn" storyline in the last 5 minutes of the season and then move onto something completely different in season 4, which is exactly what they've done with every season of Klutzman Trek so far.

bileduct

Coach
So in this episode it's the dilemma of does Discovery just teleport away and let the peeps having a holoadventure hit their 4 hour limit and die, or do they hang around and get whacked by the greenskins?

But of course, there's an alternative!

Adira Crusher has SOOPER SEKRIT medication that will allow the idiots on the planet thing to survive until Discovery comes back, and it's sooooo SOOPER SEKRIT that she has to hide on Book's ship then jump out at the right time to beam herself down to the planet so now the people there can survive apparently indefinitely AND Discovery can get whacked by the greenskins! PLOT ARMOUR TO THE RESCUE!

So in Tilley's first few hours in the chair she manages to get Discovery captured by the greenskins all because Culber for some reason believes they can only be on the planet thing for 4 hours max and Adira Crusher has medicine that will allow them to stay much longer than that, but decides to keep her mouth shut until Discovery has hung around too long and ultimately gets boarded and taken over. At least Tilley didn't crash the ship into a planet I suppose!

Oh, and of course there's the "hey, we got a cloaking device during the retrofit, right?" moment that for some reason didn't come the first time they encountered the greenskins.

Then we have the curious bit where the greenskins can somehow track where Discovery teleports to. I'm gonna wait for more info on this one. I've been suspecting for a while now the Federation isn't all it appears to be, and it's possible Vance told the greenskins where Discovery was. But if not....

And there's a f**king trans-warp tunnel that opens up right at the source of "the burn." f**king ok.

Oh, and "the burn" looks like it's caused by some Kelpian window washer getting hyper emotional? f**king SNOOZE.

And finally, Tilley and the greenskin woman jibber jabbering at each other was like listening to two high school girls arguing with each other over who was more popular.

Last edited:

bileduct

Coach
So it seems like the whole point of making Tilley captain was to use her complete ineptitude to explain why Discovery got taken over so easily... Oh, and Mikey Spock to the rescue!

bileduct

Coach
"Here, have this super duper device that can do whatever you want it to and can get you out of any situation!"

As if the ship wasn't overpowered enough, Mikey Spock now has her equivalent of Picard's magic space dildo.

bileduct

Coach
Is there any doubt that Mary Spock's mayday message is going to result in a fleet of Vulcan/Romulan ships, as well as ships from Trill, Yum Yum's home planet, Earth and whatever remains of the Federation fleet all arriving in time to save the day?

Isn't giant fleets of ships arriving at the very last minute to sort shit out getting kinda old, especially since it was done in the last season finales of both Discovery and Picard?

Eelectrica

Referee
Henchman AI hasn't improved since the original Batman. After a thousand or whatever it is years, I'd have expected improvements.

Latest posts