What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stars Wars: What order?

Danish

Referee
I honestly don't see how watching any of the prequels, or especially Rogue One prior to watching the original trilogy would do them any favours.

Rogue one is f**king fantastic, but you need to know the stakes and what goes on first. Plus all the little easter eggs and references won't make sense. Force Awakens probably stands on its own feet as a movie, but again is much MUCH more fun when you already know the universe they are set in. I mean seriously how are they going to know to cheer when the falcon hits the screen?

The prequels can be watched last in their leisure. They should watch them since they are canon, but thats more just like home work or required reading. Not so much event viewing.

In all honesty being able to show someone the original trilogy and see them experience the "luke I am your father" moment going in completely clean is about the primary reason why I want to have kids.

Revenge of the Sith is a close second to empire strikes back

Rogue one is a war movie therefore cannot be compared with the episodic entries as they're action adventures

I still don't know how I feel about Tarkin,i cried seeing him from behind but then he became an active character i felt a little uneasy

bileduct

Coach
Revenge of the Sith is a close second to empire strikes back
1084to.jpg

vvvrulz

Coach
The biggest problem with the prequels is Lucas's failure to create anything new, which is ironic since he is supposed to be the ideas man.

The entire trilogy is basically filled with backstory that orbits on the one thing we already know, Darth Vadar and his rise. Almost every event and character is basically throwaway and because of that, there are no stakes on anything.

Lucas of course can't help himself so he creates as many nudges and winks as he can; nobody needs more Jabba the Hutt, Boba Fett's dad, or even Yoda. Tell us a fresh story. Qui-gon, Dooku, Maul, Greivous... why don't you tell us who they are instead of killing them off to advance the plot?

Rogue One, a little movie in the middle, trumped everything these three could dish out in terms of plot and character - although ROTS was mighty entertaining.

LESStar58

Referee
In all honesty being able to show someone the original trilogy and see them experience the "luke I am your father" moment going in completely clean is about the primary reason why I want to have kids.

Spot on. If you're popping the SW cherry then classic trilogy 1st if only for THAT moment.

LESStar58

Referee
Rogue one is f**king fantastic, but you need to know the stakes and what goes on first. Plus all the little easter eggs and references won't make sense.

Excellent point. I've never really thought of it that way.

Blue milk, anyone?

Danish

Referee
Excellent point. I've never really thought of it that way.

Blue milk, anyone?

Precisely.

If you watch them backwards you’ll spend all of the original trilogy distracted by seeing the origins of random items they paid too much screen time to in the newer movies for what you thought was no apparent reason.

As an example, I watched T2 first as a kid, then when I watched the original it made me laugh that Arnie runs over a toy truck when pulling up to one of the other Sarah connors houses that is an similar model to the one the T1000 hijacks and chases them through LA in