What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stay and Play

greeneyed

First Grade
Summary of story from today's Canberra edition of the Sunday Telegraph by David Packwood:

The Raiders have begun negotiations with Adam Mogg, Ian Hindmarsh and Ryan O'Hara in an effort to re-sign the trio to extended contracts. The Raiders are offering a further two years to Mogg and Hindmarsh, while O'Hara has been offered four years.

Don Furner Jnr said: "It's important that we get to the anti tampering deadline next June and have as many of our top line players signed up to long term deals as we can. It gives us a better understanding as to where the club's playing personnel is at and what areas we need to strengthen. It also places less pressure on both parties where we're not running around at the last minute trying to finalise contracts."

The Raiders are also looking to extend Schifcofske by two years. He is understood to be considering playing options in England.

Meanwhile there is growing speculation that Schifcofske will take over the club captaincy from Simon Woolford next season. The Raiders are reviewing the captaincy role with the coach to make a decision before the start of the season. Woolford's contract expires at the end of next season and the liklihood is that he will finish his playing career in England. His replacement at the Raiders will be Lincoln Withers.

"Lincoln is young and a very exciting player who we feel would be a great asset to our club" Don Furner said. "We believe he would provide great back up in the hooking position and he can also play at half, which would give us cover next season."

Withers is expected to have a similar role as the one he had at St George this year, where he rotated off the bench with Riddell. He proved to be an important impact player with the Dragons and the Raiders will be hoping for the same in 2005 with starting hooker Woolford.

lotm

Juniors
greeneyed said:
"Lincoln is young and a very exciting player who we feel would be a great asset to our club" Don Furner said. "We believe he would provide great back up in the hooking position and he can also play at half, which would give us cover next season."
hmmm ... interesting. am i overanalysing it, or does it sound like he isn't the first choice for halfback for next season?

greeneyed

First Grade
I think the gist of it is: Woolford will be "encouraged" to go to England, partly by not getting the captaincy next season, in the meantime, Withers will play a role off the bench next season in the hooker or half spot.

woodgers

Bench
If the captaincy thing is blowing up I am disgusted about the whole thing. If they are basically saying that next season will most likely be Woolford's last, wouldn't it be in the best interest of club harmony to keep him on as captain for his final year? We could have a situation like England did before France 98 Football tournament whereas the coach refused to take Paul Gascoigne. In the end it caused so much rift throughout the country and players that it would have been easier to let the baby have its bottle. Some players thought he should have gone, others wanted someone else and there was a major split in the side.

I can just imagine if Germ does get shafted he is the type to be really bitter. This could get ugly and from where I sit, it is unnecessary.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i agree woodgers
add to that i dont see any reason to strip germ of his captaincy, he has done a fine job from where i sit

Bay56

First Grade
lotm .... could you please answer to woodgers remarks concerning the shafting of the team's captain.

Woodgers ... again you touch on an isssue I have remarked on previously ... the possible shafting of one of our more loyal players sickens me ... hopefully this is just a media beatup but may I say "where there is smoke there is usually a few flames beneath". If there is truth to this rumour I reapeat "SACK THE f**king COACH" before our captain, if it's a beatup I apologise to management/coach.

woodgers

Bench
Bay56 you and me must have a few similar thoughts. You have made remarks elsewhere which I haven't read and regurgitated them a few times now.

Great Minds and all that :D

Bay56

First Grade
woodgers said:
Bay56 you and me must have a few similar thoughts. You have made remarks elsewhere which I haven't read and regurgitated them a few times now.

Great Minds and all that :D

Re Germ: Read first page of the thread "Captain Crisis" for my thoughts on Germ. I think my remarks in my second post started the banter with lotm this arvo. I stick by my comments.

lotm

Juniors
lotm .... could you please answer to woodgers remarks concerning the shafting of the team's captain.
absolutely. i won't shy away from questions.

i'm completely and unequivocally against the sacking of woolford as captain. not only do i believe he is a great captain, but he's been one of the more loyal players we've had.

however, too many people on these forums (NOT including you this time, bay) are too eager to belive the crap they're reading in the papers. they're merely building up a scrapbook of newspaper articles intent on implying there's disharmony within the club. i've read articles and heard interviews where matt elliot has stated that the review of the captaincy was an annual event. until i hear more, i'm less willing than some people to accept this likely sensationalist media crap.

if it turns out to be true, i'd be interested to hear the rationale behind it. from where i sit, there's no justification for his sacking.

direct enough an answer for you, bay?

I think my remarks in my second post started the banter with lotm this arvo
i thought you'd understand by now this has nothing to do with germ. it's to do with your suggestion that we sack the lot of them. but it appears you're unable or unwilling to address that issue.

greeneyed

First Grade
lotm... I hope you are not saying I am "building up a scrapbook of newspaper articles". I report everything, and I mean everything, that is in the Canberra media that I don't think is reported nationally, so everyone can hear what it is......

I have my own opinions. I think the captain has underperformed significantly as hooker this season, and is not performing well as captain either.

But I don't select articles to post to match my own opinions. I post everything that might be of interest to people in Sydney and elsewhere around the world.

lotm said:
however, too many people on these forums (NOT including you this time, bay) are too eager to belive the crap they're reading in the papers. they're merely building up a scrapbook of newspaper articles intent on implying there's disharmony within the club. i've read articles and heard interviews where matt elliot has stated that the review of the captaincy was an annual event. until i hear more, i'm less willing than some people to accept this likely sensationalist media crap.

I agree...

Theres not much in the Papers about the Raiders except when the Sydney Media is saying something Negative

lotm

Juniors
lotm... I hope you are not saying I am "building up a scrapbook of newspaper articles". I report everything, and I mean everything, that is in the Canberra media that I don't think is reported nationally, so everyone can hear what it is......
absolutely not, and i'm sure that non-canberrans appreciate it.

have my own opinions. I think the captain has underperformed significantly as hooker this season, and is not performing well as captain either.
so what's you opinion on the possibility of germ being sacked as captain?

But I don't select articles to post to match my own opinions. I post everything that might be of interest to people in Sydney and elsewhere around the world.
it wasn't meant to be literal. i was just stating that there are people on this forum too intent on believing articles implying disharmony within the raiders merely to have something to criticise management about. half the stuff people criticise management about hasn't even happenned yet (sacking woolford, buying smith and adamson who'll inevitably sit out the majority of the season injured or suspended etc.).

i'm not going to apologise for what i said, but will say that my comments weren't directed at you.

lotm

Juniors
rl18 - to complete the quote, the end has to be [/quote]. you've somehow removed the /

greeneyed

First Grade
I don't think Woolford should lose his job as captain. However, if I was choosing who to keep and who to release after 2005, I would be encouraging the captain gently to go to England.

greeneyed said:
I don't think Woolford should lose his job as captain. However, if I was choosing who to keep and who to release after 2005, I would be encouraging the captain gently to go to England.

Agree 100%.

Yes Germ is one of the most loyal players we have, but he is getting on and he's not in the best form of his career going on this year, and we do have Withers who has enough talent to be the full-time hooker. Sometimes you have to make a few sacrifices to go forward. That being said though, IF he's stripped of the captaincy this year, it will be a deadset joke.

hrundi99

First Grade
I think the attitudes of those such as Bay in other threads and this one seem to contradict themselves.

If giving the captaincy to Choc next year improved the team, would you still believe it was more important to do the "right thing" by Germ?

Latest posts