What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sterlo's thoughts on the EELS

COACH STERLING

Juniors
A mate of mine had the opportunity of speaking to Peter Sterling recently at a work function. This is what he wrote to me:

I only had about 20 minutes with him as there was about 100 people trying to get a piece of him or get autographs ...etc...etc
I asked him what was wrong with Parra? And he said that the main problem was there retention policy. But he said that they have bought well enough to be a force next season and Smith is at least he thinks is changing things.
He is a huge fan of Glenn Morrison. He said he had a helping hand in trying to get him. He also thinks Tahu in the centres is a gun move. He knew all his stats, 74 tries in 90 games, injured for 3 5 weeks intervals, he said injury free he will be awesome. Paul stringer is the most underrated prop in the game, because he plays for souths, but he said that Parra is committed to bringing the best out in him. He also rates Riddell very highly, he said he will add strength to the ruck area where Parra is getting hurt in matches. He even gave me stats that Parra was the most dominated team in tackles. No other team gets belted more than parra.
I didn't notice it. He said look at the roosters how they come up quick in an umbrella formation and dominate and slow the play the ball, he said I don't understand why teams just don't wide...FAST!
He said that the big loss was Lyons. If we had Lyons back, we would have had the best centre combination in the game. He said that losing Vaeliki wasn't a gr8 loss as we could probably find a suitable replacement for his calibre.
He said that Mateo was going to be huge and also a guy who made his first grade debut against the cowboys. His young and is a tank. He reckons that he is going to be that big that he is going to overshadow Hindmarsh (Who is it??)
Then, I asked him the key question,
Will you coach Parramatta?
He said that he loves channel 9, and the only reason he will leave if Packer sacks him or he gets sick of it or Fitzgerald leaves Parra. Then I will go to England to cut my teeth and come back to coach Parra. He still gets into the sheds after every Parra game to talk to the boys and to see the developments of players.
He is still very close the board of directors except for Fitzgerald.
Apparently, he used to date his sister and it fell apart and then after that they haven't spoken since.
There was some other stuff about the footy show and his playing days but this is the most important.
Up the Eels!

Eelectrica

Referee
I'd believe it because it makes sense.
Now Sterlo for Eels coach in 2010?
Nine loses league coverage rights in 2007 (I think that's when they are up for renewel)
Sterlo coaches in england for 2-3 years, Fitzgerald retires, Sterlo becomes coach, Parra wins 5th premiership :p

Freak

Juniors
1st grade debut against Cowboys was Afamasaga wasnt it?

I was sure he played first before the Cowboys game though!!

Parraren

Bench
I think Sterlo must have had one too many if he thinks we should bring back Cliff Lyons from retirement ;-)

Eelectrica said:
Nine loses league coverage rights in 2007 (I think that's when they are up for renewel)
Sterlo coaches in england for 2-3 years, Fitzgerald retires, Sterlo becomes coach, Parra wins 5th premiership :p

I can't wait for that long!!!!!!!!

Eels Dude

Coach
Eelectrica said:

Didn't they re-sign till 2009 recently, with an option to make the last bid on the rights for the next 5 years after that?

Moggles

Juniors
Eels Dude said:
Eelectrica said:

Didn't they re-sign till 2009 recently, with an option to make the last bid on the rights for the next 5 years after that?

Oh God I hope not!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
damn good stuff

Stirlo is a Parra legend, and cant wait for the day when he becomes our coach

and if were freeze it here..............

our pack next year will be awesome

go Jaffa

thedux

Juniors
Definitely kills all that crap about him being a knights fan, especially if he helped to get morrison to the club. I've said all along that fitzy is parra's biggest problem and the fact that he is mates with hadley is proof enough. That Sterlo is keeping tabs on players and remembering the stats showa that he still cares.

Utey

Coach
Iam not Fitzys biggest fan but he has stabilised Parramatta and we now have enough equity to have a great developmental league, have a great stadium and the rest. He has done well on certain asepcts of the job.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Iam not Fitzys biggest fan but he has stabilised Parramatta and we now have enough equity to have a great developmental league, have a great stadium and the rest. He has done well on certain asepcts of the job.

Hoiw has Fitzy stabilised Parra? Was it unstable before 1980 or whenever he became sec? I didn't think so!

chico's nose

Juniors
COACH STERLING said:
A mate of mine had the opportunity of speaking to Peter Sterling recently at a work function. This is what he wrote to me:

I only had about 20 minutes with him as there was about 100 people trying to get a piece of him or get autographs ...etc...etc
I asked him what was wrong with Parra? And he said that the main problem was there retention policy. But he said that they have bought well enough to be a force next season and Smith is at least he thinks is changing things.
He is a huge fan of Glenn Morrison. He said he had a helping hand in trying to get him. He also thinks Tahu in the centres is a gun move. He knew all his stats, 74 tries in 90 games, injured for 3 5 weeks intervals, he said injury free he will be awesome. Paul stringer is the most underrated prop in the game, because he plays for souths, but he said that Parra is committed to bringing the best out in him. He also rates Riddell very highly, he said he will add strength to the ruck area where Parra is getting hurt in matches. He even gave me stats that Parra was the most dominated team in tackles. No other team gets belted more than parra.
I didn't notice it. He said look at the roosters how they come up quick in an umbrella formation and dominate and slow the play the ball, he said I don't understand why teams just don't wide...FAST!
He said that the big loss was Lyons. If we had Lyons back, we would have had the best centre combination in the game. He said that losing Vaeliki wasn't a gr8 loss as we could probably find a suitable replacement for his calibre.
He said that Mateo was going to be huge and also a guy who made his first grade debut against the cowboys. His young and is a tank. He reckons that he is going to be that big that he is going to overshadow Hindmarsh (Who is it??)
Then, I asked him the key question,
Will you coach Parramatta?
He said that he loves channel 9, and the only reason he will leave if Packer sacks him or he gets sick of it or Fitzgerald leaves Parra. Then I will go to England to cut my teeth and come back to coach Parra. He still gets into the sheds after every Parra game to talk to the boys and to see the developments of players.
He is still very close the board of directors except for Fitzgerald.
Apparently, he used to date his sister and it fell apart and then after that they haven't spoken since.
There was some other stuff about the footy show and his playing days but this is the most important.
Up the Eels!

Sterlo is still classed as a legend over here too. I don't suppose there would be to many complaints from Hull fans if he was ever to become Hull coach, even if it was to serve as an apprenticeship. His knowledge of the game is vast and he is a joy to listen to when he calls a game, unlike the drivel we have to put up with in super league.

The Godfather

Juniors
And this is the same Fitzy who was running around trying to sell the Eels off by merging us with North Sydney, Balmain, Western Suburbs, or anything else that moved so that he could cash in on the money from the NRL. :x

Not knowing the man, his current contract status, his coaching desires, etc, etc I'll say this much....all hypothetical of course.

I don't reckon he would need to bother going to England to cut his teeth in the coaching caper. He watches the games every week in a commentating role. Sure it is not the same as coaching a high profile first grade side but he gets to cast his opinion on how he reads the game every week of the NRL season.

Now if that isn't a pre-requisite for a first grade gig then I don't know what is. Rabs couldn't coach a footy team mind you but Sterlo having played the game at the top level for over a decade and then has commentated the game for over a decade would be a walk up start to coach a first grade NRL team.

Now whether it is successful is another thing.....

Latest posts