What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Carter

*Sandy*

First Grade
That's great news for Scarts. I think he'll bring a lot to it. I look foward to following his progess. I've always felt that Scarts should get into coaching, he has good knowledge of footy and I have a feeling he will get the best out of his boys.

girvie

Staff member
parra_panther said:
It's on there now! :lol:

girvie obviously got the inside word before it was formally announced...
I did start this thread for a reason ;-)

*Sandy*

First Grade
Sorry late again...

The Sun Weekly, Footy 2005 by Steve Carter. Thursday 15th September.

English fans world champs.

Reading Andrew Johns account of his English debut had me reflecting upon my days with widnes vikings.

Seeing the Poms reaction to hosting a fellah like Johns, who has done more in the game than 99% of other players, reinforced my impressions on the passionate English.

He played in front of a capacity of 14,500 which would only be considered an ordinary crowd in our game. But he said it sounded more like 100,000. And then there is the singing between both sets of fans. The fans are more commonly known as "speccies" short for spectators. Some of the more memorable chans include "Widnes till I die" and Cheat, cheat, cheat" after a dubious referreeing decision. The worst thing the Leeds speccies could have done last weeekend was start the chant "What a waste of money" about Johns.

As we all know, Johns can do amazing things when he's presented with a challenge. The end result? Andrew Johns produces a Man of the Match performance. It really does give you a sense of the occasion when you play in front of any English crowd. You know it's something special when a player like Johns talks about his nervousness prior to running out to entertain the most passionarte sports fans in any part of the world.

I thought he was being very kind to his beloved novocastrians when he said th the Poms would even give them a run for their money when it comes to being parachial. We all know how tragic the Knights fans are. But they don't even get close to devout english rugby league fans. The game is absolutely everything to them, and nothing else matters.

After questioning Johns ability to rise to several recent challenges, I wont be falling for it again. Don't be surprised to see the great man carrying the Championship Trophy come grand final night.

On the local rugby league scene, I've kept a close eye on the latter part of the season, particularly the U/19's as I have taken on the Bears Jersey Flegg (u/20's) team for 2006. Unfortunately for these guys the lack of an NRL team locally creates a lack of direction, however with the Cronulla sharks offering scholarships and training, it has helped and some of the Central Coast Rip players have already benefited.

I look forward to the challenge of coaching and see this as an ideal starting point which also enables me to continue with my main employment selling houses.

It's also a great age group to work with. Guys at this age want to be treated like men, so you don't have to be worried about hurting anyone's feelings. My philosophy is that to be successful, you need to tell it how it is. Inevitably peoples egos will be hurt before they can learn. It's a great test to see whether an individual has got what it takes to overcome the many hurdles they will be confronted with at top level footy.

girvie

Staff member
Thanks PK.

It will be interesting to see how many Central Coast players he brings to the Bears.

*Sandy*

First Grade
The Sun Weekly, Footy 2005 by Steve Carter. Thursday 22nd September.

Tigers have Panthers look.

I sure am glad that the NRL tipping competitions finish after the regular season, because I've been well off the mark with my selections - except for the two obvious choices from the first week of the play offs.

The West Tigers and North Queensland Cowboys knocked out the Brisbane Broncos and Melbourne Storm last weekend, the two teams I rated as chances to take out the the title.

Midway through the season I highlighted the form of the Tigers, and in summing up I said time would tell if they can continue on their fairytale season. Well, so far they've met every challenge put before them. In fact, they now have me comparing them to the giant-killing Penrith Panthers team of 2003.

For starters, they play a very similar style of care-free football. The Tigers team make-up is also similar to that of the 2003 Panthers. They have creative halves, dangerous outside backs, and an ever present fullback. The only difference is that the Tigers lack the two huge back-rowers that the Panthers possessed in 2003. But I think the Tigers have been getting plenty of mileage out of their claims that they have only a little forward pack.

I would love to see the Tiger Cubs eliminate the more fancied Dragons this Saturday night. The Tigers are a side that nobody, bar themselves, even rated as a chance to make the semi-finals. Obviously the entire club believes in its ability, and has a lot of us standing up and taking notice now.

I sat and watched last Sunday's match at my local, and it was great to see all of the Tigers fans revelling in their teams success. I actually followed Balmain as a kid, until I joined Penrith, so I still have a soft spot for them.

There were many critics of Super League who were critical of the merger between Wests and Balmain, two great clubs steeped in tradition. But I'm sure a lot of those critics were cheering the Tigers on at the weekend. I see it as a great partnership. At the time of the merger neither club was financially viable. And both clubs were struggling at the bottom of the competition table.

Even the fan bases of the two original clubs suit each other. Both clubs were labelled as Westies at different stages of their histories, and the majority of thier supporters are working class people who love a beer.

There has been plenty said about Super League, with plenty of people claiming the "ARL Hill" of the higher moral ground. But really, every individual involved - players, administrators, referees and commentators - did what was best for them, and their families.

One good outcome from the Super League era that is being realised now has to be the coming together of these two great clubs that have grown into the force that we are witnessing now.

If it were not for the merger, the Tigers and Magpies fans would probably be watching their team participating in the Jim Beam Cup by now.

There will be no excuses for the Dragons if they do falter at the finals hurdle this year, just as there were no excuses for the Broncos last Sunday. It may be time for a change at the helm north of the border. As much as I rate the Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett, sometimes clubs just need a change. He has had two or three chances to qualify for the Grand Final in recent years, but has come short every time.

girvie

Staff member
North Shore Times – 28/07/05 – David Rowlands

Panther comes to the Bears’ aid

Life has imitated art at North Sydney Rugby League Club through the appointment of its Jersey Flegg Cup coach.

The Bears now have their own “Coach Carter” after one of Penrith’s greatest servants agreed to join their ranks.

Steve Carter, who played 242 games for the Panthers between 1998 and 2001, will take charge of the club’s under-20s team next season.

“It’s his first real taste of coaching, but I have no doubt he has the ability and the knowledge to make a good fist of it,” Norths general manager Greg Florimo said.

“We’re certainly very impressed with his communication skills with the players.”

A product of the Central Coast, Carter’s appointment came about through his link with the Wyong club, where his sons play along side Florimo’s boys.

Ironically, the two men were direct opponents on several occasions over a decade, as they both wore the No 6 jerseys for their clubs.

“It will be interesting to be working with him instead of against him now,” Florimo said.

*Sandy*

First Grade
The Sun Weekly, Footy 2005 by Steve Carter. Thursday 29th September.

Tigers my tip for decider.

ANY claim that St George Illawarra and Parramatta lost at the weekend because they each had a week off doesnt wash with me. Both were favourites to win, and had stronger players than theirrivals. So, it comes down to preparation and coaching. I don't knowwhat both clubs got up to during their week off, but it didnt do them any good.

I'm a believer in recreating, as closely as possible, real game conditions when teams hve the week off. When I was at Penrith and we had a weekend off during the finals, we started training at 3pm - the kick-off time for matches - and were flogged in the heat of the day. Physically, there can be no excuses for the Dragons and Eels.

I thought Parramatta coach Brian Smith could make the adjustments to get his team over the line in the big matches this time. I'm sure he knew something had to change in his approach. And I'm sure he put those changes into place. But disappointing end of season losses are happening too often with Smiths teams for there not to be something wrong. The defensive effort put in by the Eels on Sunday was the worst I've seen from a Parramatta team.

The fairytale continues, meanwhile, for Wests Tigers and Cowboys. People who say that the two best teams won't be playing this Sunday night are wrong. There hasnt been a grand final in which the two best teams haven't got through.

Some observers reckoned the Tigers looked vulnerable when they started to watch the clock in the second half against the Dragons on Saturday. I think it was a good sign for the Tigers. It showed they can shut down a game if they need to, and a lead of eight points can be a big margin in a grand final.

I havent tipped the Tigers all season, but I think they'll get the job done on Sunday. They are playing with such high levels of energy, self-belief and skill at the moment. They are so efficient at moving forward as a unit, and moving defences around. I'm sure my old mate Royce Simmons can take some credit for that. Royce was big on players fine tuning their skills while at penrith.

However, I also think coach Graham Murray has got the Cowboys peaking at the right time, and although they have been less consistant this year, they are dangerous, and he'll have the team in the right frame of mind. Their 50 point flogging by Wests earlier in the final series won't count for much on Sunday. But I'm not sure the flights the Cowboys seem to be having into and out of Townsville this week is the ideal preparation.

Wests, on the other hand, were into their normal training routine on Monday. But they are 2 to 1 on favourites, and no longer have the advantage of being underdogs. It will be interesting to see how they handle that.

girvie

Staff member
Here is a photo of Steve Carter at the Bears Jersey Flegg Trials. Is he still writing in his paper over the off-season?

20051016SETRI3942R.jpg

*Sandy*

First Grade
He needs to see the big MG and get some hair tips from him. yeah yeah. ;-)

Nah, he has either stopped for the off season or is concentrating on his coaching position. There hasnt been one since the lead up to Grand Final week.

girvie

Staff member
PK said:
He needs to see the big MG and get some hair tips from him. yeah yeah. ;-)

Nah, he has either stopped for the off season or is concentrating on his coaching position. There hasnt been one since the lead up to Grand Final week.
Ok thanks. Hopefully he starts writing again next season.

*Sandy*

First Grade
No, I havent noticed any articles written by him, then I havent read every week of the Sun Weekly either. But I will assume no.