What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Folkes joins Tigers.

DanOz

Juniors
But surely that has to be the long term plan .. Why else would they fork out good money on a qualified coach just to actualy train and condition a side ? Particulary when i dont believe fitness has been the reason for failing year in and year out.

His last employment was as a strength and conditioning coach.

westie

Bench
OK - a couple of things to consider here:

Firstly, yes, if there was any possibility of Folkes taking over I would be worried.

Period.

As to his coaching record, so what? Chris Anderson had a great record also and yet came to Easts well after his prime, coaching the same old geniused up and in defence with no idea of the modern game. Another case of a broken old man forced to leave in humiliation mid season. The team wasn't the problem - Fittler walked in without a clue and all of a sudden they started playing football again.

If you're going to use that argument we might as well exhume Jack Gibson.

Secondly, you're seriously suggesting that Folkes would attract quality players to the club?

Apart from El Masri and Patten, every marque Bulldogs player walked out on him - most in a highly public fashion. In the end he went off to try his luck with West Indies cricket and even they turfed him.

Finally (and this is the guts of it), no one wants to see that type of football played anymore (if in doubt take a look at how well the Ricky Stuart coaching style is going these days).

There is a reason that Gould says that if it were up to him he would see the Tigers televised every Sunday afternoon of the season.

This is the most exciting, unpredicatable and interesting team in the NRL.

With a first class front rower, a proper half, a decent kicker and a touch of luck they could easily win the thing next year.

Folkes is not the answer mate ... he's not anyone's answer.

Peace.

Jase

If Stuart coached his style with Benji and Farah he'd win premierships. He's one dimensional, just like Fittler who copied his style... but when it goes off, it bloody well goes off. The whole style was just to give Fittler the opportunity to do his stuff, without that class playing for him it's let down. We have that class.

What's wrong with 4 rucks and a try at the end? Better than our knock-on-athon, weak as piss rubbish that we're guaranteed to throw up every few weeks. You know simple football is always going to work, look at the Dragons, playing the exact same style and leading the way - our style will only work for half a season max.. every few seasons.

I don't agree with what the Dragons have done, failing to sign a guaranteed attacking performer, but if we were to play their style, with Benji and Robbie (assuming we added a few rough forwards obviously... and a winger with either size, pace or some sort of footballing ability), who could stop us. I don't think Bennett's Dragons have that extra gear that we do, but we're not there to even be considered.

jasonl

Juniors
If Stuart coached his style with Benji and Farah he'd win premierships. He's one dimensional, just like Fittler who copied his style... but when it goes off, it bloody well goes off. The whole style was just to give Fittler the opportunity to do his stuff, without that class playing for him it's let down. We have that class.

What's wrong with 4 rucks and a try at the end? Better than our knock-on-athon, weak as piss rubbish that we're guaranteed to throw up every few weeks. You know simple football is always going to work, look at the Dragons, playing the exact same style and leading the way - our style will only work for half a season max.. every few seasons.

I don't agree with what the Dragons have done, failing to sign a guaranteed attacking performer, but if we were to play their style, with Benji and Robbie (assuming we added a few rough forwards obviously... and a winger with either size, pace or some sort of footballing ability), who could stop us. I don't think Bennett's Dragons have that extra gear that we do, but we're not there to even be considered.

Agreed.

Thoughtfull reply Westie. It must be bloody frustrating.

On a side note, I wonder what could have been if you guys had signed Michael Crocker.

TroopyF

Juniors
Oh f*** off, Dr Kuah IS one of the best in the business.

Pffft....one of the best?? Only if your name is Benji Marshall.
He's pretty good at gettin his mug on the telly ANY chance he gets with the WT's that's for sure.

westie

Bench
Agreed.

Thoughtfull reply Westie. It must be bloody frustrating.

On a side note, I wonder what could have been if you guys had signed Michael Crocker.

It's not so much the players, though that would help, I feel it's a mental attitude. Payne, Galea, Ellis, Morris etc can all hit as hard as anyone in the comp for players in their position. Even Heighno, Benji and Farah and these guys have the agression - it's just not utilised. Remember Fitzgibbon and Flannery were leading members of the most feared pack in the comp at one stage... under different motivation, they couldn't bust a wet tissue.

Edit:

If it wasn't obvious, my point was, we need to be coached to be agressive and feared etc... to play consistent football.

Though, as the dragons have evidenced again tonight - you need that class and unpredictability. You need the extra gear. Daniel Anderson is a wonderful coach - he's sorted the Eels' defence and mental side, and now his players are playing football. That has to come first. Their season sums up why we've been sh*t for years.

Last edited:

innsaneink

Referee
Yep.
"You score 32 and we'll score 34" is a negative, reactionary attitude.

"We'll let you score nothing and our score will then look after itself"...would be a nice change.

Unfortunately the former motto isnt a result of recruitment & retention, R & R is a result of the motto

Latest posts