What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Matai - tough or just stupid?

skeepe

Immortal
Now I know there are plenty of people who love Matai's "toughness" out on the field, and he can sure hit hard when he wants to. But that late hit on Soward last night... I just can't comprehend it. He was still standing still when Soward passed it, and only took off towards him after the play moved away. He was very lucky that he didn't make contact a little higher, because Manly would have been down to 12. (Although they may as well have been, because I honestly can't remember seeing him again in the game apart from a late spear)

So is he a legitimate hard-man of the game, or just an idiot prone to brain explosions?

jono

Juniors
Never been impressed at all with this guy
He's just a thug . (Was under a civil assult charge at one time if I recall)

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
He is a bit of both tbh

Plays the game hard and close to the limit, which occasionally results in a HUGE brain explosion. Cost the team tonight, but more often than not is on the positive side of the ledger

Jono, you are correct, he was under a charge, but that was thrown out on Video evidence, so not really worth bringing up

jimmythehand

Juniors
to be fair I think there's a chance he might not have known Soward has passed, as Soward had his back to him for a while. Unlikely, but possible :)

sharko

Juniors
When it comes to getting pissed and threatening young barmaids and being backed up by a couple of his mates when he is doing it ..then yes he is one of the toughest going around.
Most people however regard him as your standard local Manly trash..have a stroll around the Corso after dark and you will see his type of vermin everywhere.

gregstar

Referee
Don't mind him. Put it this way if he played for your club you'd love him

few if any rival this absolute cretin.

i believe you are the reason prophylactics were invented.

slip a plastic bag over your head & go for a jog.

jc155776

Coach
He had a similar shot on gasnier later in the game tht went unnoticed, gasnier offloaded, then Matai who was grappling with him picked him and slammed a good 2 or 3 secoinds after the ball was gone