What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Matai - tough or just stupid?

Big Mick

Referee
That hit last night...was stupid...he is just a moron...pure and simple.

Guys like Matai...is the reason our junior development are struggling.

Soccer mum's watch that and go "i don't want my baby being hit like that" and then don't register them in Rugby League...

torpedo

Juniors
That bloke has NFI how to play the game...Manly's replacement for one Hidden Finger licking lad...

Maybe him in disguise or is it the way they breed em up there...

shiznit

Coach
i think hes a tough bastard... ive seen him carrying some shocking injuries and keep playing...

but hes a f*ckwit... i hope he never gets another Kiwis jersey. that 58-nil hiding in wellington falls on his shoulders...

Garts

Bench
He is both tough and stupid, he will try and take on players bigger than he is but gee he does some dumb things. However we need someone in our side with aggression as nobody else really does.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
In a way this stuff is quite amusing

People always go on about the "good old days","game is going soft" etc, but when you get blokes playing the 70s style of game, Matai and Gallen as the examples from this thread, they get slammed

Ice777

Bench
In a way this stuff is quite amusing

People always go on about the "good old days","game is going soft" etc, but when you get blokes playing the 70s style of game, Matai and Gallen as the examples from this thread, they get slammed

Sorry i wasn't following the game in the 70's but are you saying it was full of dirty grubs like Matai and Gallen back then?

innsaneink

Referee
Shoulder tackles getting pinged for high shots is whats soft
Forwards having pow wows before a 'scrum' is soft
Losing teams players laughing and joking as soon as the hooter goes - soft.
The NRL version of rugby league is soft and its pissin me off more and more

hutch

First Grade
Sorry i wasn't following the game in the 70's but are you saying it was full of dirty grubs like Matai and Gallen back then?

gallen has done 3 or 4 grubby things in his career, matai does 3 or 4 grubby things a game, they are not even in the same ball park. matai isnt a bad footy player, but i dont think he is tough, and he is definately stupid!

Ryan

Juniors
I for one love Matai in our team. Adds grit to it. You don't have a few gritty players, teams like Melbourne will just plain dominate you - and most of us have had that horrible feeling.
That's why I'm so glad Perry is now with us. He's got the aggro streak in him as well.

He may have been in a bit of trouble off the field, but does anyone ever mention the charity work he does, or the fact that he's supporting his parents overseas? I'm sure that will now be belittled, or people will poke fun at it, but there are always two sides to any story - and you see the side that Dessie encourages on the field.

After that NZ game, the media were asking Dessie if he was going to change the way Matai played - to which Dessie replied, "no, why would I?".

Now, as I sign off, make sure you bolt all your doors, and lock all your windows, forget the boogey man, Steve Matai might be under your bed !!

Latest posts