What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Price to retire at the end of 2010

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Veteran Warrior Steve Price to retire in 2010

Veteran New Zealand Warriors prop-forward Steve Price has announced that he will retire at the conclusion of the 2010 NRL Season.

Price's retirement comes as he has yet to play a game in the 2010 season due to ongoing injury concerns. He was relieved of the captaincy of the club during the recent off-season.

36-year-old Price captained the Warriors between 2005 and 2009 after previously captaining the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs through the tumultuous 2002, 2003 and 2004 seasons, culminating in the Bulldogs 2004 premiership season. He joined the Warriors in 2005 after playing 222 games for Canterbury stretching back to 1994.

Price went on to represent Queensland on 28 occasions (a tally he may still add to in 2010, injury pending), and also made 16 appearances in the green and gold for Australia between 1998 and 2009.

It is understood the Bulldogs intend to recognise the career of Price in their upcoming Round 5 clash with the Warriors at ANZ Stadium this Sunday.

http://leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=19088

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
That's where I saw it - then I scouted for official news releases :p lol

lockyno1

Post Whore
Good. That is really all I care about. Even at 36 he is the best prop in the game.

Scottey

Juniors
Good. That is really all I care about. Even at 36 he is the best prop in the game.

I suspect half the reason Mannering got the captaincy for the Warriors is because Price wants to keep on going at Origin level, and the Warriors want a captain who's going to be there week in week out.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I suspect half the reason Mannering got the captaincy for the Warriors is because Price wants to keep on going at Origin level, and the Warriors want a captain who's going to be there week in week out.

That is fine, and it is not as if Price needs a (c) next to his name. He is professional enough to know the reasons. Plus I think everyone knows who is the Warriors leader anyway- Price.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Would have thought that one of the better props, leaders and ambassadors of the game would deserve a little bit of respect and praise.

MacDougall

First Grade
If he actually plays a game this year he will retire at the end of 2010. Otherwise he retired at the end of 2009.

Either way, nice career Steve.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Been a pleasure watching him over the years. Seems a decent guy and always gave his all. Good luck in retirement.

Timmah

Staff member
Price to retire at end of season
The NRL’s longest-serving current player Steve Price today announced he would finish his 17-season rugby league-playing career at the end of his 2010 campaign.

Price, the NRL’s oldest player this year at 36, has so far made a total of 313 appearances for the Vodafone Warriors (91) and the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs (222).

“I’ve been thinking for some time about retirement. At my age I couldn’t go on forever and this just seemed to be the right time,” he said.

“I’ve had an unbelievable time playing for my two clubs the Vodafone Warriors and the Bulldogs. I can’t say enough about what they’ve both done for me and for my family. They’re times I’ll never forget, playing with some fantastic players and working with some great coaches. And I’ve also had the honour of playing for both Australia and Queensland. That has been massive for me.

“But it hasn’t all ended yet. I’m committed to getting my heel injury right and getting back on the field for the Vodafone Warriors as soon as I can. I certainly intend to finish my last season in the game making a contribution on the field.”

As Price made his announcement, his only two NRL clubs also confirmed major plans to jointly celebrate his career.

This would start this week when the Bulldogs host the Vodafone Warriors in Saturday night’s sixth-round match at ANZ Stadium in Sydney and Vodafone Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah announced the club would honour Price later in the season at Mount Smart Stadium.

While Price is not expected to be fit to play this week, Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg said the club would honour him in various ways on Saturday night. Together with wife Jo and their children, he will be flown to Sydney by the Vodafone Warriors with the Bulldogs hosting them on game day.
“Steve Price is a life member of the Bulldogs and he will always be revered as one of our club’s true greats,” said Greenberg.

”We have been working closely with both Steve and the Warriors over the past few weeks in an attempt to acknowledge his incredible contribution to the game of rugby league.

”I'd encourage all rugby league fans to be at ANZ Stadium next Saturday night to acknowledge one of our game’s true greats, and be a part of something very special.”

Greenberg said the Bulldogs have agreed to provide free entry to the game for any NRL club member/season ticket holder. He added the initiative was designed to ensure all supporters had the chance to farewell Steve and acknowledge his contribution.

“Whether fans support the Bulldogs, the Warriors, any other club or rugby league generally we just want them to get out to ANZ Stadium on Saturday night and be part of a special event,” said Greenberg.

A tribute highlights DVD package will be screened before the NRL clash, drawing on material covering Price’s performances for the Bulldogs, the Vodafone Warriors, the Kangaroos and Queensland. Together with his family, Price will also be taken on a pre-match lap of honour around ANZ Stadium. After the match, the Bulldogs will make a special presentation on the field to Price.

Scurrah said the Vodafone Warriors’ last scheduled home game of the season against Brisbane (August 27-30) had already been planned as an old boys’ day and would also include a special farewell to Price.
“The Bulldogs are doing a terrific job in acknowledging Steve this weekend and we’ll be putting on our own tribute to him when we play the Broncos in August,” he said.

“Steve has made a huge contribution to the game and especially to our club since starting here in 2005. We want everyone to give him the farewell he deserves when the time comes.”

Vodafone Warriors coach Ivan Cleary said Price had distinguished himself as one of the game’s great front rowers over a lengthy career.

“He has been our player of the year twice and has always amazed us with the capacity he has to keep performing at such a consistently high standard,” he said.

“He has been frustrated by injury so far this season but we’re expecting him back soon and know he’ll contribute to the team the way he always has. There’s no question he has been vital to helping to turn the Vodafone Warriors around after some tough times a few years ago.”

During a career which started at first-grade level in 1994, Price has played 15 Tests for Australia and has represented Queensland 28 times in State of Origin, the most by a forward in Origin history. He also played a guest player for the All Golds in England in 2007.

STEVE PRICE
Born: March 12, 1974
Birthplace: Dalby, Queensland
Position: Prop
Height: 193cm
Weight:107kg
Junior Club: Newtown Lions (Toowoomba)
NRL Debut: Bulldogs v Balmain, July 3, 1994
Club Numbers: Bulldogs: 594
Vodafone Warriors: 121
NRL Career: 313 appearances, 1994-2009
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs: 222 appearances, 1994-2004
Vodafone Warriors: 91 appearances, 2005-2009
NRL Points: 140 (35 tries)
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs: 88 points (22 tries)
Vodafone Warriors: 52 points (13 tries)
Representative:15 Tests for Australia, 1998-2009
28 matches for Queensland, 1998-2009
Prime Minister’s XIII, 2005-2006
All Golds, 2007

http://www.warriors.co.nz/news/548/Price-to-retire-at-end-of-season