What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Witt

antonius

Coach
Don't know what you guys thought, but I thought he showed the right touches tonight. Pretty quiet game but he did put in some good kicks, and I thought complimented Kidley quite well, he wasn't a game breaker by any means, but I think if given 3 or 4 more games he could put his mark on the team as he gains more confidence, it's a pretty dounting task coming in as a back up for Johns replacement(Kidley), but I thought all the signs were positive, he definately knows how to and when to throw a pass, and he has a bit of finess in his kicking game, I hope Hages persists with him, what I saw tonight was all positive.

MC DUI

Juniors
antonius said:
Don't know what you guys thought, but I thought he showed the right touches tonight. Pretty quiet game but he did put in some good kicks, and I thought complimented Kidley quite well, he wasn't a game breaker by any means, but I think if given 3 or 4 more games he could put his mark on the team as he gains more confidence, it's a pretty dounting task coming in as a back up for Johns replacement(Kidley), but I thought all the signs were positive, he definately knows how to and when to throw a pass, and he has a bit of finess in his kicking game, I hope Hages persists with him, what I saw tonight was all positive.

So true Antonius he played well, he didn't stick out like a sore thumb but for me that is what impressed me, he was thowing some excellent passes out there tonight and I thought that he set up a number of our tries.

Stick with him Hages pleeease [-o< I think that he and Kidley looked excellent together :D

thuganomics

Coach
Yer, he didn't try special stuff. His defence impreesed me. I like the look of this kid. I wanna see mroe of his kicking game though.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I think I heard his name said once or twice. Couldn't see his name on the NRL.com stats though, but I'm pretty sure he was there.

Risa

Bench
I suppose he was just trying not to make a mistake. It was a big step up for him, so I'd say stick with him, and hopefully next week he'll be a bit more involved.

keeney

First Grade
im rewatching the game now and he had a decent debut, i think we're just spoiled from carmont adn seage coming through that we expect every young player to turn in a terrific performance, from what i've seen whil he was being cautious, he showed good skills, hes got some pace and a little step, and as his confidence built, he lpayed with more daring, he is the answer for this year, im realy looking forward to seeing him oging around next week

Up_Da_Knights

Juniors
I was happy with his performance. Like Antonius said he had a quiet game but not a bad game. I think he's still trying to find his place within the team and in a few more games i think we will see him to his full potential.

thuganomics

Coach
His game today was good, i would like him to execute the crossfield bombs, Kidleys seems to be struggling with that aspect in his kicking game.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I wish he'd kick more often. His grubber for O'Davis was probably one of the best all game (with the exception of Kidley's kick to big brother).

keeney

First Grade
hes got a good kicking game, hes just gain in confidence a little, he seems to be amde of the right stuff, just not sure howto use it yet

chinorocks

Juniors
Yea he definately needs to kick more...having Kidley as the lone kicking option isn't working, especially cross field bombs.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
so you love my Steve? :D
i thought that like you said, he hasn't been flashy but he's been solid. I hope he kicks some serious behind for you guys

~knights~

Juniors
Just some info on steve.

From
http://www.nrl.com.au/news.cfm?id=8413

After battling injury, confidence problems and a younger brother who passed him by Steve Witt had every reason to think he would not make the NRL. A new life at the Knights has changed all that. Peter Badel reports.

You'd have forgiven Steve Witt for thinking he was never going to make first grade.

As a kid, he nearly had his leg cut off. A chronic back problem wiped him out of rugby league for 12 months. And then last season, as he approached his five-year anniversary rotting away in Parramatta's lower grades, he watched baby brother Michael leapfrog him into the NRL.

His self-belief in tatters, Witt had every reason to quit, and fate was gladly showing him the door.

But an off-season move to Newcastle, which paved the way for his belated first grade debut a fortnight ago, is as much about opportunity as therapy for a 21-year-old who could probably pen a manual on how to conquer adversity.

"It's felt like I've waited forever, five years is a long time in football," says Witt, who made his NRL debut against the Warriors in round five and went head-to-head with five-eighth legend Brad Fittler at EnergyAustralia Stadium last Sunday.

"A lot of times I thought I'd never get there. After so long in the lower grades, I'd lost my drive and my confidence. There's been times when I’ve wanted to go back home to Toowoomba, but then I'd think: 'What job would suit me? What else could I seriously do?'"

Besides, Witt had already come too far and overcome too much. Rugby league was his life, even as a child who faced the terrifying prospect of losing his leg.

Today, Witt has hazy recollections of the incident. He remembers going paddock bashing with brother Michael on their Toowoomba property, and ending up in hospital as doctors fought to save his leg.

"I was nine years old," explains Witt.

"We were hooning around on our motorbikes and then I hit a fence. I went flying off the bike and landed in a ditch. Then I looked down and saw a huge gash in my leg, it was a mess. I just screamed and Michael – I think he was only seven – ran to call an ambulance.

"When I got to hospital, the doctors told my parents they doubted they’d be able to save my leg. The hole was so big they struggled to stitch it up, they put a screw in, and it was placed in a cast.

"Somehow my leg came good. I'm just so grateful they didn't cut it off.”

The leg now poses no physical problems. But Witt's bitter-sweet tenure at the Eels, a club he never planned to leave, has added to the psychological scars.

Parramatta had bold plans for Witt. From the moment they plucked him from his hometown as a 16-year-old in 1999 and put a roof over his head in lodgings on the cusp of Parramatta Stadium, Witt was being groomed for a role at the scrumbase.

At 18, he was rated by Eels coach Brian Smith as having the best passing game at the club. At 19, he was destroying opponents in Premier League.

Then came the hurdles. He rose one morning with a back injury he’d never previously experienced and for two years it flared intermittently, affecting his form and hampering his push towards first grade.

His deathknell at Parramatta sounded on May 2, 2003 – the night younger brother Michael was pitchforked into the top grade by Smith.

For Steve, it was conclusive proof the Eels had other plans.

"By the end, I thought I wasn't going to get a chance at Parra," said Witt.

"To be fair, I was going stale there. It was getting repetitive, I felt I was doing the same things over and over again and not getting a chance in first grade."

For a year, the Knights had been tapping on his door. Witt had a link there in Robbie O'Davis, who grew up in Toowoomba and acted as Witt's big brother.

The former Queensland and Test fullback negotiated a lifeline – and Witt couldn't be happier.

"I should have come here a year ago," said Witt, whose godparents are O'Davis' parents. "Compared to Parramatta, it's a lot more laidback, training is different and it just suits me better.

"The Parramatta style just wasn't for me. It's pretty strict there, but here it's a new start, there's new faces, new coaches, new surroundings and it's freshened me up."

Even the confidence is coming back.

"His talent is endless," says O'Davis.

"I know Steve well, he's like a brother to me, and I always thought he'd have one season in lower grades then walk straight into first grade.

"The setbacks shook him, they really affected his confidence. At Parra, he'd ring me up every second week and say: 'Rob, my back's no good, what's wrong with me?'

"But he's fitting in well here and his enthusiasm is back. The important thing is he's got a chance now."

A chance created ironically by the season-ending knee injury to Andrew Johns – the other reason Witt joined the Knights.

"Joey's been awesome for me," says Witt. "Before he got injured, he'd ring me and Kurt (Gidley) up on our day off from training and say: 'C'mon, let's go down to the park'.

"We work on passing, kicking, footwork, just the three of us. He gives all sorts of tips, it's just so exciting to be learning from the best player in the world."

Coach Michael Hagan, however, is reluctant to over-burden Witt. For now, he's a work in progress.

"We just need Steve to work with Kurt," says Hagan.

"I'm glad he's here, he has a good range of skills and he gives us a bit of insurance in the halves.

"We've benefitted from the apprenticeship he served at Parramatta. There's no doubt he's ready for first grade."

Finally, after so many kicks to the guts, Steve Witt has the chance to prove it.

It's really good that he has settled here :)

parra_princess

Juniors
And if Johns was still fit do you think Steve would be given his chance in First Grade...So much for wasting away in Premier League :?

And Jess you sure do love your Steve!

astrogirl

First Grade
~knights~ said:
Just some info on steve.

From
http://www.nrl.com.au/news.cfm?id=8413

For a year, the Knights had been tapping on his door. Witt had a link there in Robbie O'Davis, who grew up in Toowoomba and acted as Witt's big brother.

"I should have come here a year ago," said Witt, whose godparents are O'Davis' parents. "Compared to Parramatta, it's a lot more laidback, training is different and it just suits me better.

"The Parramatta style just wasn't for me. It's pretty strict there, but here it's a new start, there's new faces, new coaches, new surroundings and it's freshened me up."

Wow, that's a great article.

I had no idea that he knew Robbie O prior to joining the Knights. I hope the Knights set up really does bring out the best in him.

I'm pretty impressed to hear that Joey had spent some extra time working with K Gids and Witt. What a star :D

www.nrl.com.au said:
"Joey's been awesome for me," says Witt. "Before he got injured, he'd ring me and Kurt (Gidley) up on our day off from training and say: 'C'mon, let's go down to the park'.

"We work on passing, kicking, footwork, just the three of us. He gives all sorts of tips, it's just so exciting to be learning from the best player in the world."

Latest posts