What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stick By Smith

ParraMatt

Bench
Just an article i wrote for Forum Sevens
---------------

Stick by Smith

Brian Smith coached cellar dwellers Illawarra in the first year of his lustrous coaching career.

20 years, several semi final matches, a super league premiership and an NRL grand final down the track and Smith was back where he started. After smashing almost every record in the book in 2001, and doing just about everything bar win the comp, the fall of the Eels has been remarkable. In 2003 they couldn’t make the finals and this year people have dubbed them as the worst Parramatta side ever. Brian Smith has carried the burden of such poor form.

Smith has been widely criticised for being “too technical”, many citing his constant strategy and squad changes as the key stone reason for Parramatta’s downfall. However, the coach can only do so much; ultimately the players are professionals and a coach can only get a first grade team so far. To their credit, in the last 4 weeks Parramatta has turned poor form around and by the media’s logic, this is mainly thanks to Smith.

It has been suggested that international centre Jamie Lyon departed due to a fall out with Smith, but sources close to Lyon reveal that Noel Cleals exit, a mentor of Lyon, played a major part. Never the less this should not be attributed to Smith at all. Lyon is a professional and a disagreement with a coach should be no reason for a player to suddenly want to run off home.

Several key players have been released by the eels in the last few seasons due to salary cap constraints. While this obviously coincides with the coaches’ wishes, the board and ceo are the ones creating contracts. Players such as Schifcofske, Hodgson and Ryan were not playing as brilliantly in the latter stages of their Parramatta careers, so these losses would have seemed like logical sacrifices as a means of retaining internationals Nathan Hindmarsh and Nathan Cayless. In 2005 the Eels have began recruiting smarter. The robust and energetic Mark Riddell can provide the Eels with the passion and impact they have lacked. It will also answer the five-eighth problem, Current hooker John Morris has proved more then capable of filling the pivot role with Eels Adam Dykes looking like a sure signing for his former team the sharks.

When the Eels were struggling for form and had lost several ‘winnable’ games on the trot the fans and media were calling for Smiths head. To the boards credit they stayed solid and the Eels were able to turn around their season, posting impressive wins against Newcastle and Manly and taking contenders Brisbane and Penrith right to the line. Fickle fans have seemed to jump back on the Parramatta band wagon, highlighting the importance of loyalty to a coach through thick and thin. You never know when things can turn around.

The best coach in the world wouldn’t have been able to win a game for Parra a month ago. They lacked passion and pride in their jersey, and as the only cliché says “you can’t coach hunger”. To their credit the Eels were able to rediscover this passion, and obviously this can by attributed to Smiths persistence. A half time heart to heart with his players in the game against Newcastle proved to be a turning point.

Hopefully, the last few weeks are a sign that Smith can get back to the days where he enjoyed his coaching. The rise and fall of Parramatta has been extraordinary, but as the Panthers proved in 2003 things can turn around just as quickly. One thing is certain, turning your back on the club during a bad trot doesn’t help anyone’s cause. Any player in the world will tell you that a big crowd can lift you.

7th and 8th spot are up for grabs. Several teams lingering around mid table have shown enough consistency to warrant a guaranteed finals finish. The eels are just as capable of sneaking into the play offs as many others, and as history highlights, anything can happen in the finals.

Eels Fans, Get out to the Games, Cheer your Rugby League Team on no matter what the score line is. Let's show this competition that no matter how good or bad of a team we are, we still love seeing those blokes run onto the field with that blue and gold jersey on. Good Luck Brian Smith, and Good Luck to my Eels for the remainder of the season.

gfc-05.jpg

Eels Dude

Coach
Good article ParraMatt

Although I think Smith's time is up I think the criticism has been harsh in some cases. He can only do so much. Smith's going to stay here guys, you may as well just get back to supporting the side and stop moping around.

Eels Dude

Coach
scottyeel said:
CrazyEel said:
What "super league premiership" are you referring to?
English super leauge i think.

He knew that mate.

CE was referring to the fact that Smith has never won a super league premiership, a mistake that ParraMatt made in his article.

bradeel

Juniors
well said Matt. In fact, brilliantly said. I think that last line about looking positive and turning up to games regardless of what has been happening in previous weeks is an important thing for us all to remember. It doesn't matter how many losses you have in a season, those wins that you do manage to get need to be savoured. Winning up in Newcastle a month ago is a case in point i reckon. Nothing else mattered on that night except for the effort put in for that one game.

Nice ParraMatt!

I can see both sides and I do believe Parra need a change in the near future but sometimes I don't think Smith is necessarily the problem. Fitzgerald has been making so many players (and fans) miserable for years...I liked to see him go first.

At least let me just dream a little...

Suitman

Post Whore
Would you like to re-write this article now, take some biased feeling out of it, and tell things how they REALLY are.

Then I might give it some credence.

I commend the fact that you have enough passion to devote plenty of time to it, I just agree with Misty, that I disagree with most of it. Take off the blue and gold glasses, and try again.

Suity

Latest posts