What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Still a Top 8 Chance

Noddz

Juniors
Mathematically we are still a top 8 chance

1st of all, Cowboys are only 1 ahead of us, and newcastle equal, and have no more byes.

2nd of all i think we have an easier run home than the knights and sharks

both have lost today, and the sharks are up for a tough run home.

sharks lost to the bulldogs today, and have the dragons, broncos and roosters next 3 weeks, as well as storm a few weeks later... hard run

we have the bulldogs, eels and souths
if we beat these teams we should find ourselves in 8th position

our last games are bulldogs, eels, souths, bye, broncos, cowboys, and nights

if we beat the bulldogs, the broncos are the only top 8 team to beat...

the cowboys face knights, dragons, bulldogs, souths, panthers, us, and the sharks

and the knights face cowboys, souths, raiders, eagles, dragons, bulldogs, and us

basically, if we play like we did against melbourne, our biggest threat on the runs home could b the knights, who we play last...

our biggest advantage is we are not expected to make the 8, so are not a threat at this stage...

i think our season comes down to the bulldogs game... hope we hav plenty of support there...

ozcrusader

Bench
Eddie. said:
were close enough if we are good enough, not at all convinced we are though.

I love how people go through these mathematical gymnastics every year to prove that somehow, we can make the top 8 if 15 million other little things all turn out just right.

The fact is that if we were serious finals contenders (and we were with Marshall in the team), we would be locking up 5th of 6th spot on the table. The heavy losses against top tier teams in the recent month has shown us that we are nowhere near that class.

Even if we do make the finals by some amazing miracle, knowing the way our club is, most likely the Tigers will lose in that first week by the most tries ever scored in 80 minutes.

Pretenders...

Eddie.

Bench
goangod said:
Eddie. said:
were close enough if we are good enough, not at all convinced we are though.

I love how people go through these mathematical gymnastics every year to prove that somehow, we can make the top 8 if 15 million other little things all turn out just right.

The fact is that if we were serious finals contenders (and we were with Marshall in the team), we would be locking up 5th of 6th spot on the table. The heavy losses against top tier teams in the recent month has shown us that we are nowhere near that class.

Even if we do make the finals by some amazing miracle, knowing the way our club is, most likely the Tigers will lose in that first week by the most tries ever scored in 80 minutes.

Pretenders...

What did i say that constitutes mathamatical gymnastics??

read what i said again.

_A_J_Gray_

Juniors
You make beating the Bulldogs sound so easy......

I think our best chance is to just make sure we beat the Souths, Parramatta, The Bye & The Cowboys (Conceding losses to Newcastle, Broncos & The Bulldogs). And hope we just sneak in somehow on 26 points (and a terrible for and against).

Its a long shot you would make it in on that but I feel its the best we can do at the moment and I couldnt see us winning more than 3 of the last 6. To be a better chance we had to beat Manly or Canberra, two winable games. Unfortunately we came up on the wrong end on both occasions.

Anonymous

Juniors
The fact is if we can get 10 out of the next 14 points we would make it. Like Eddie. said, if we are good enough we can make it. Don't be such a smartarse. You're so bloody boring.

westie

Bench
Ahhhh, we are 1 win out of the 8 with a bye up our sleeve, it doesn't take a scientician to work out that it wouldn't be very hard to make the 8.

NZtiger

Juniors
goangod said:

Pretenders...

What kinda attitude is that?????? :x
Mate! Who cares if we'd get thrashed in the first week of the finals...AT LEAST we would have made it, something the rest of the 7 teams couldn't manage, and I think making the semis is a STEP FORWARD for this joint venture!
Look at the Warriors history...made the 8 for the first time, the next year they were in the GRAND FINAL! We gotta get to that first hurdle! It'll lift the team's confidence for 2005 AND give us something to REALLY look forward to!!!

Pretenders, to you, this year, but CONTENDERS in the making!

White Tiger

Juniors
making the eight is a very big deal for our club, even if we get knocked out after week one!!!

It will bring belief to the club,and it will give our youngsters a taste that will leave them wanting more.

It's like St George and the NZ trying to beat brisbane.They both had shocking records against them but once they got that first taste of victory they had that belief in themselves, and got a few more wins against them.

CULLUS.ONLINE

Juniors
Hell!

I have been waiting for the day that we make the 8 since i first started following league!

If we get thrashed in week one then who GIVES! I will be partying for months to come win or lose finals-round-1!!!!!!!!!!!!

TigerMo

Juniors
NZtiger said:
goangod said:

Pretenders...

What kinda attitude is that?????? :x
Mate! Who cares if we'd get thrashed in the first week of the finals...AT LEAST we would have made it, something the rest of the 7 teams couldn't manage, and I think making the semis is a STEP FORWARD for this joint venture!
Look at the Warriors history...made the 8 for the first time, the next year they were in the GRAND FINAL! We gotta get to that first hurdle! It'll lift the team's confidence for 2005 AND give us something to REALLY look forward to!!!

Pretenders, to you, this year, but CONTENDERS in the making!

Yes i totally agree with you here, We need to take it one step at a time, first by making the semis and then aiming for higher priorities.

If Cowboys and Knights can make the 8, then so can we. We should be a ahead of them because we still have 1 bye up our sleeves. And yes, as others have said, I wouldnt mind being smashed Wk1 in the finals, I'll be over the moon that we have made it for the first time ever in the JV.

Davester

Juniors
I wouldn't be bothered not seeing the Tigers in the semi or grand finals but just the finals alone would make me a happy chap

BJ

Juniors
it's possible.. and it would be a great step forward for this club..
players would have semi final experience..
and we could show all those knockers that we could make it..
but one week at a time, the boys need to focus on beating the bulldogs first and foremost

Noddz

Juniors
i know that its a tall ask... i mean the 8, but other teams have done it

it will show alot if the boys can pick up their season and still make something of it from now, if they cant nock off 4 out of 6 wins with only 2 teams in the 8 of those 6, then we deserve to be in the 8... if we dont and get through on 26 points somehow...

a win this weekend, with the sharks against the dragons, and the knights against the cowboys could see us move into equal 8th but 9th of 4 and against, its just a case of us winning, and dragons having a good day, like they do against us...

but i think we can get eels,souths, bye, cowboys and knights

even without the nights, we will probably come 9th, and playin rd 26 against the knights to make it...

fact is, if we got to that stage, it would show that even with a poor form patch as shown over the past month, and without benji, we are still a top 8 team, and a resonably young team 2...

people go on here saying we cant attract players, we are unsuccessful...

well making the 8, even gettin smashed first final, or missing the 8 by i win, would b a huge step forward, and it would make it easier to get the joel monaghans, and promising juniors that the roosters seem 2 get, or other clubs, apart from us, because they will know they are an origin player, and an origin player added to the 8th placed team cant really get worse... when/if we make the 8 our players will be more confident next year, more importantly young guys like prince, halatau, laffranchi. galea (not that young), bronson... confident young guys will develop faster...

it will mean we are possible contenders... and give us respect we havnt had before...

i dont care if we get smashe by 50-0 again in a semi, ill be there, havnt seen a tigers final live since that dissapointing day in 89...

either way, im not a huge fan of campbelltown stadium, but i remember sheens sayin that the tigers got home against manly with the backing of a huge tigers crowd at leichhardt earlier this year... so it whouldnt be to much to ask 2 get everyone you know out to campbelltown for a game that could set us to our maiden finals berth...

Gus22

Juniors
Famous1 said:
1 vs 8...... WEEK ONE we're elimated by the roosters anyway #-o

So what!
In 2001 Parramatta (1) smashed New Zealand (8 ) by almost 50. One year later NZ are in the grand final with the Roosters.
If we make the 8 it would be a good achievement at this stage of the teams development. Going any further would be a bonus.
The experience gained playing Finals Footy would be springboard to success, sooner rather than later.

steven_tiger

Juniors
beat me to it gus.. i was just about to post the same thing.

i would be extremely happy if we made the top 8.

need to learn to walk before you can run ;-)