What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Still Proud

Willow

Assistant Moderator
8. why kick with 1 tackle still to run the ball in extra time? that extra 10 meters we could have gained could have put the field goal attempt out of reach... once again this is where your halfback needs to take control in the set of six, Hornby simply cant do this...
My reading of it was that we were not making 10 metres with each tackle. Very skinny 10 all night, and there was no way the ref was going to give a penalty in extra time.

Credit to the Broncos that they knew this, they had been getting away with off side all night, so a fast line defence was the order in extra time. By fifth tackle, we had about a five metre gain on offer. If we got to the last, we would have had to pass it back about eight metres just to find the room. If Soward waited until the last, he would have less chance to put a kick in. As it turned out, the kick wasn't great. But again, this is a credit to the Broncos defence.

I don't know who won the toss for extra time, but in retrospect I would have liked to see us kick off and employ the same tactics.

In reality, that's how close the game was.

redvwhite

Juniors
In regards to the Hodges tackle on Morris...

Hodges' hit on Morris under NRL scrutiny
Print
- Font
+ Font
RSS
David Beniuk AAP Sun, Sep 18, 2011 - 5:37 PM

Tweet
Brisbane centre Justin Hodges could be hit with a contrary conduct charge for his controversial tackle on an injured Brett Morris in Saturday night's NRL semi-final win.

The league's match review committee will on Monday examine the incident, which occurred in the second half of the dramatic 13-12 victory over St George Illawarra at Suncorp Stadium.

Morris had suffered an ankle syndesmosis injury after catching a kick and falling to the ground in obvious pain before Hodges ran several metres to fall heavily on the winger, despite Dragons players signalling he was injured.

The two representative stars appeared to reconcile after the incident, but committee chairman Greg McCallum and his team will decide whether it contravened the spirit of the game.

Match review committee members believe the incident is almost unprecedented, with Justin Poore's attempt to lift an unconscious Steve Price in the 2009 State of Origin series the most similar to it in recent times.

Ironically, it was Hodges who later called NSW's treatment of Price, which also resulted in Trent Waterhouse's send-off, a "dog act".

Saturday night's incident caused outrage on Sunday radio programs, with commentators quick to describe it as unsportsmanlike.

Test centre Hodges was rubbed out for two weeks in 2008 on a contrary conduct charge for making an inappropriate gesture to referee Tony Archer.

Brisbane face more trouble ahead of Friday night's grand final qualifier against Manly with halfback Peter Wallace placed on report for a first-half high shot on Dragons fullback Darius Boyd.

Dragons players declined to speak to the media when they arrived back in Sydney on Sunday.

Morris' leg is in a moon boot but a Dragons statement said fears of a fractured ankle had been allayed by scans.

The Test winger is expected to recover in time for the start of the pre-season under new coach Steve Price in November, but will undergo further tests this week.

"Brett suffered syndesmosis in the ligaments high above his ankle which is usually a six-week turnaround to heal," Dragons doctor Thomas Carrigan said.

"We took him to the local hospital following the game with the scans there showing no obvious fracture.

"We will now arrange for an MRI to take place during the week to further evaluate."

Morris courageously played on before crawling from the field in agony after leaping to defuse a Broncos bomb in the 67th minute.

"It was a tough blow to end the season like I did but I'm in good hands and am certain I'll be fit again soon," he said in the statement.

LINK:
LINK: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/justin-hodges-a-grub-over-brett-morris-hit/story-e6frfgbo-1226140330624

Last edited by a moderator:

redvwhite

Juniors
Now Slippery is weighing in on the matter.

Justin Hodges a 'grub' over Brett Morris hit

Tyson Otto and Andrew Webster From: The Daily Telegraph September 19, 2011 12:00AM

Controversial: Justin Hodges. Source: The Daily Telegraph

DRAGONS great Steve Morris has labelled Justin Hodges a "grub" after he shockingly hammered injured Dragons winger Brett Morris as he lay on the ground at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night.

Morris, father to Brett and Josh, said his son was brave to try to play on with the injury for 10 minutes, but condemned Hodges' tackle as a "barbaric act" which the NRL must stamp out immediately.

Brett Morris suffered a syndesmosis ankle ligament injury - or high ankle sprain - and fell to the ground with the ball in his hands in the 54th minute of his side's 13-12 loss to the Broncos. Hodges then slid into the Kangaroos and NSW Blues representative as he writhed in agony.

"He's a grub. It was a grubby act to do that while someone is obviously injured," Steve Morris said.

"To do that while they're on the ground. He was basically defenceless. It's got to be stamped out now.

RELATED COVERAGE
Knights: Benny's new dawn for Newcastle
Dragons: Gasnier walking to NRL after-life
Drama: Gallop fires up over Gould attack
Broncos: I will play, says injured Lockyer
Injury: Kimmorely knows Lockyer's pain
Broncos: Thaiday fumes over Bennett jibes
NRL finals: Manly only hope, fans can't bear it
NRL finals: Fury over Manly's armchair ride
Storm: No one can halt runaway Slater

"Say he had a shoulder injury and Hodges comes flying in to hit him like that. That's a barbaric act. You can't do that.

"What he did was low."

"He got him when he was obviously injured. He could have been seriously injured."

It is understood Brett Morris had no issue with Hodges, although other Dragons players were privately fuming about the incident.

NRL Match Review Panel chairman Greg McCallum said yesterday Hodges would not be charged when the panel meets this morning to look over the game.

However, Steve Morris said a penalty had to be awarded against Hodges and he warned that the failure of referees Matt Cecchin and Tony Archer to protect players on Saturday night has set a dangerous precedent for similar incidents in the future.

"That should have at least been a penalty," he said. "Can you imagine how the crowd would have reacted if it was a Broncos player? He'd get 10 minutes in the bin straight away.

"And the referees, they didn't do anything. No penalty, no nothing. I was telling people all week the referees would decide the game. It's not just because he's my son. It's just not something you want to see."Morris was more concerned about his injury as he hobbled off the plane in Sydney wearing a moon boot. He may have done more damage by playing on.

It is understood Morris hurt his ankle when fielding a wobbly Darren Lockyer drop-out. He battled on with the injury, and there are fears he may have done further damage while leaping high to snuff out a Broncos bomb.

He is all but certain to miss Australia's Four Nations campaign in England, beginning October 26, after scans in Brisbane revealed he had a serious ankle injury - not a broken fibula as first thought.

"It was a tough blow to end the season but I'm in good hands," said Morris, who will have further MRI scans this week.

LINK: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/justin-hodges-a-grub-over-brett-morris-hit/story-e6frfgbo-1226140330624

Last edited by a moderator:

redvwhite

Juniors
Match review committee members believe the incident is almost unprecedented, with Justin Poore's attempt to lift an unconscious Steve Price in the 2009 State of Origin series the most similar to it in recent times.

Ironically, it was Hodges who later called NSW's treatment of Price, which also resulted in Trent Waterhouse's send-off, a "dog act".

Very hypocritical thing to do Justin. Imagine if it were an injured Lockyer on the ground and someone came in with their knees infront of 50000 Broncos fans...

Mr Red

First Grade
My reading of it was that we were not making 10 metres with each tackle. Very skinny 10 all night, and there was no way the ref was going to give a penalty in extra time.

Credit to the Broncos that they knew this, they had been getting away with off side all night, so a fast line defence was the order in extra time. By fifth tackle, we had about a five metre gain on offer. If we got to the last, we would have had to pass it back about eight metres just to find the room. If Soward waited until the last, he would have less chance to put a kick in. As it turned out, the kick wasn't great. But again, this is a credit to the Broncos defence.

I don't know who won the toss for extra time, but in retrospect I would have liked to see us kick off and employ the same tactics.

good point ...
on that note i noticed all game that when the broncos kicked they seemed to be able to boot the leather off the ball, whereas the dragons made it look like they were kicking a piece of concrete most of the night.
hornby and soward seemed to struggle all night trying to hit the sweet spot when kicking...

saint06

Juniors
No doubt the heart and attitude was there. No doubt they did us all proud.

But we are left with a whole of questions:

1. Where has that performance been for the past 2 months?
2. That was Weyman's best game of the year, but what happened during the year?
3. Why wasn't Cuthbo playing in the last 6 weeks? Why go into a game with 3 hookers?
4. If only Boyd's ball had gone to Gaz.
5. Geez, we need to get Young out of hooker - can't wait next year when its King and Rein.
6. Why kick on the 4th?

I think all the Prior bashers better take a look at themselves - he was good on Saturday. They all were. And although i am very proud of the boys, i can't help but have a sense of emptiness. The question of what if is also there. Why couldn't we play like that last week? For the past 8 weeks - we probably wouldn't have been in the position that we were in on Saturday.

Anyways, its hard to go to back to back, reckon we gave it a good shake. Couldn't really care who wins it now. Don't really want to watch the remaining games.

Thanks for the seaon lads. Thankyou Wayne for delivering us something we have craved for a long time. Thanks to Darbs, Gaz, Cuthbo (looks like he'll be leaving) and Green.

RedVDave

First Grade
Although the loss was obviously extremely dissapointing, How can anybody be upset with that performance? Guts, Determination, Passion you name it!

Brett Morris playing with a broken ankle and giving it his all.

The boys defended the house down (by all rights should have been down by 24 at the break).

Never gave in fought and fought till the end.

The guys may not have come away with a win but they went down fighting one of the most passionate displays of footy I have seen, I would like to add though can people please stop bagging Sowie for kicking on the 4th yes it was a bad decision but seriously if Hornby had of kicked on the 5th then everyone would have bagged him because he is not as an of effective kicker.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
6. Why kick on the 4th?

Well said. This is why you could never write for the Telegraph Willow.

Latest posts