What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

stop the origin madness

skeepe

Immortal
I was under the impression that Origin referred to your footballing origins, not your birth origins as some in here seem to think.

johns_reds

First Grade
El Diablo said:
not under the current SOO qualification rules

Info from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Inglis
Inglis began playing rugby league at a very young age for the Bowraville Tigers in NSW. At only 15 years old after being seen playing at a junior carnival on the NSW North Coast he was signed by Iain Mclennan who was associated with the Melbourne Storm. He went to live in Brisbane where he began playing for the Norths Devils in the Queensland Cup.

Under State of Origin rules players are selected for the state in which they first played senior (or registered) rugby league. Players must also be eligible to represent Australia at international level.

So in fact under current SOO he is a QLDer

El Diablo

Post Whore
johns_reds said:
Info from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Inglis
Inglis began playing rugby league at a very young age for the Bowraville Tigers in NSW. At only 15 years old after being seen playing at a junior carnival on the NSW North Coast he was signed by Iain Mclennan who was associated with the Melbourne Storm. He went to live in Brisbane where he began playing for the Norths Devils in the Queensland Cup.

Under State of Origin rules players are selected for the state in which they first played senior (or registered) rugby league. Players must also be eligible to represent Australia at international level.

So in fact under current SOO he is a QLDer
nope. it even says he's not a Queenslander on your wiki link

This proved fortunate for Inglis, as despite his NSW roots, he had always wanted to play for Queensland in State of Origin. It later came out that he played for Newcastle's, Hunt Sports High in 2003, This was revealed on the news with images of him playing

hrundi99

First Grade
fourplay said:
What if you were born while your parents were holidaying in Mongolia.. does that mean u arnt allowed to play rep football until Mongolia gets a RL team ?

Well a heavily pregnant woman shouldn't really be travelling in Mongolia, should they?

;-)

hrundi99

First Grade
ShadesOfTheSun said:
I grew up in New South Wales, and I love watching the Blues, but I'm really not all that interested in the fortunes of the Australian team because my entire extended family originated overseas, and I've never developed a passion for Australia or its culture.

Love it or leave it...

:p

hrundi99

First Grade
mxlegend99 said:
It's State of Origin. I's going to be impossible to have rules and exclusions that work for everyone in every scenario. Definitely.

My opinion though:
You should play for the state you were born in, or atleast grew up in (as a baby, not an adolescent). You shouldn't be able to just pick which state you want... it just defeats the purpose of the competition IMO.

I also feel that players shouldn't be tied to Australia if they play Origin. A Kiwi born in NSW or QLD could definitely feel an alliegance to his state, but still want to represent his heritage.

Just my opinion. I think Origin would be much better if it was based on where you were born, as the name of it suggests.

If they're born in NSW or QLD, then unless they emigrate, they're Australian, regardless of their heritage.

johns_reds

First Grade
El Diablo said:
nope. it even says he's not a Queenslander on your wiki link

I know he is not born in queensland but according to SOO rules he is, he played his first representive match at the age of 16 in QLD

El Diablo

Post Whore
johns_reds said:
I know he is not born in queensland but according to SOO rules he is, he played his first representive match at the age of 16 in QLD

No, he played it in NSW in Newcastle.

It was on the news last year and your wiki link even states it.

Fatdog

Juniors
A friend of mine is currently playing PL for a sydney club. He was born in QLD and played all his junior football in the Logan district. He moved with his family to Perth when he was 14. He played in th WA league till he was 17 and recruited to the NRL. Who is he eligible for?

By my understanding he would be eligible for NSW.

Also his brother is playing PL. He was born in NSW. Moved to QLD as a toddler, played in the Logan district till he was 16. Moved to Perth played WA league till he was 18 and now plays for a NSW PL side.

Eligible for QLD.

Does this mean two brothers who have lived together their whole lives would be eligible for diferent states?

johns_reds

First Grade
El Diablo said:
No, he played it in NSW in Newcastle.

It was on the news last year and your wiki link even states it.

i apologise then for not reading the whole thing

shaggy

Juniors
Fatdog said:
A friend of mine is currently playing PL for a sydney club. He was born in QLD and played all his junior football in the Logan district. He moved with his family to Perth when he was 14. He played in th WA league till he was 17 and recruited to the NRL. Who is he eligible for?

By my understanding he would be eligible for NSW.

Also his brother is playing PL. He was born in NSW. Moved to QLD as a toddler, played in the Logan district till he was 16. Moved to Perth played WA league till he was 18 and now plays for a NSW PL side.

Eligible for QLD.

Does this mean two brothers who have lived together their whole lives would be eligible for diferent states?

the first brother who you thought eligible for nsw is actually ineligible for soo because he is state of origin is wa and yes the second brother is eligible for queensland

what year did greg inglis move to the norths devils

nqboy

First Grade
I think we can all agree that thee's no clear cut solution when players have moved from one state or country to another before they played their first senior football.

As a proud maroon, I am happy to claim anyone that has always supported Qld and always wanted to be a maroon. While that's easy for me to say in the case of Inglis, equally, any Qld kid, including any kid as good as or even better than Joe, that wants to go over to the dark side can go IMO. If he doesn't want to be here, we don't want or need him in our side.

It's the old chestnut about the proud maroon heart beating within our chests. If you haven't got it, you're no good to us.

Latest posts