What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm 3 2 1s

Valheru

Coach
Sigh.... this game was just the perfect example of the 2023 roosters.

Despite what the cookers on the roosters facebook page will tell you, this was a decent performance. I thought we played very well in the first half and TBH were a 2 try better team than them in that period. The forwards made yards, our defence was quick and storng and we poked wholes in their defence but found ourselves 6-4 down at halftime. Because confidence is at an all time low, from there as soon as storm got a sniff in the 2nd half they went bang bang bang and the game was over.

I've said it before and i'll it again, defence is not the issue with this team. Overall it has been acceptable but ultimately it will always fail because we cannot score points. To prove my point, our defence is in the same ball park as Souths, Parra, Sharks and Raiders who are all in the top 8 but we have scored 200 less points than those teams. We know we can't score points, the opposition knows we can't score points and against the good teams we inevitably capitulate in the 2nd half when the opposition scores against the run of play. Against non top teams we find ourselves in low scoring battles and sometimes we win and others we don't. I have seen enough though in the last 3 games to believe things will turn around next season, the defensive pieces are there and hopefully after a proper off season we will be rejuvenated in attack. I am also very bullish about the Young and Leniu purchases which I think will do us a world of good.

Luck has also abandoned us which tends to happen when you go through these periods and confidence is low. We seem to have these good first halves and the opposition always seem to get a lucky try. This week it was an intercept, last week also an intercept, against raiders it was a kick that bounced sideways in to a raider's arms, knights it was that ricochet of a shit kick. We aren't getting any of that go our way at the moment.

On this game specifically, there is not too much I can criticise TBH, they put in and tried their best we just don't have what it takes to beat a side like Melbourne in 2023. I'm not going to bag young Sandon, that pass was there and Coates just happened to make a play. Radley tried a few short plays which didn't work but hey at least they are trying something which may come off against other teams.

If we play like we did the last 2 weeks we are good things to beat the titans and pretty comfortably IMO

3 Toops
2 Manu
1 N Butcher

A huge congratulations to Toops for equaling Mini as the club's all time try scoring leader.

Confidence seemed to crash when Jarome Hughes scored, and unfortunately that occurred due to a poor defensive decision by Nat Butcher. Butcher went in towards a decoy runner and left a massive hole between him and Keary that Hughes just steamd thru. It's those kinds of mistakes that are killing them, and because they happen to various individuals, the whole team's confidence takes a hit as a result.

Also I'm starting to think that a number of our players are suffering some mental burn out due to the sheer number of games some of them have played over the last 4-5 years (e.g. Manu, Tedesco) due to finals and rep games. When combined with injuries, and players having left the club, its lead to the storm of poor team form this year.

Valheru

Coach
Confidence seemed to crash when Jarome Hughes scored, and unfortunately that occurred due to a poor defensive decision by Nat Butcher. Butcher went in towards a decoy runner and left a massive hole between him and Keary that Hughes just steamd thru. It's those kinds of mistakes that are killing them, and because they happen to various individuals, the whole team's confidence takes a hit as a result.

Also I'm starting to think that a number of our players are suffering some mental burn out due to the sheer number of games some of them have played over the last 4-5 years (e.g. Manu, Tedesco) due to finals and rep games. When combined with injuries, and players having left the club, its lead to the storm of poor team form this year.
Yeah there have definitely been some poor instances of goal line defence and the one you mention is a great example. However. I think a large part of that is the extreme pressure the team is under due to not being able to score points and any error we do make is exacerbated by that fact as well.

Great point re: the workload as well. I really think a full off season for everyone to take a break, refresh and work on a new game plan is going to do this club the world of good.

Agree with all the above. I was expecting to get flogged from the outset tbh but they hung in there and could’ve gone into the break with the lead if not for our kicking issues. Two arsey tries and the Hughes try was enough to kill us off from there. Until then, I thought we performed well and Keary was looking dangerous with the ball. However, our last tackles options in the opps’ 20 left a lot to be desired, I must say.

Was discussing the game with a mate who had listened to Grandstand on the radio on the way home. He said Lewis was giving his thoughts on how much the club miss Fitzy. This makes a lot of sense to me and a revolving door of assistant coaches has been a massive hinderance. Anyway, Lewis said Fitz and Robbo had a good cop-bad cop kinda thing going at training. Apparently Fitzy was quite hard on the players and drilled them hard on discipline and doing the little things, the ‘one percenters‘ as they say. Then my mind turned to a break Keary made late in the first half with Billy Smith backing him for only about 10/20 yards before inexplicably backing off leaving Luke with no one to pass or at least dummy to before getting tackled. The 2018/19 Roosters would’ve had 3 or more players backing Keary all the way giving him options and confusing the defence. I’m hoping Friendy can instil some of his discipline into the boys. We get a proper off season now and no World Cups to lose focus on. I’m glad Robbo rested Teddy, he needed it and will be better for it next week. Also, I hope Teddy retires from rep footy and puts his all into the remainder of his Roosters career.

Disappointing crowd - not unexpected at the ShitCG. Our crowd average is gonna take a tumble from here on, unfortunately.

3. Toops - massive congrats on milestone
2. Keary
1. Manu

H.H

Juniors
I was on the beers from 1pm and headed to the game so not sure I'm in a position to give any points.

Anyway, I think your first line sums it up Val - just so frustrating for mine and I feel like we are such a dumb team at times with zero situational awareness.

Anyway, I'll keep backing them and hopefully they can maintain the effort that has been mostly good so we can jag a few wins before this wretched season is done.