What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm Broncos Trial 18 February Hobart

elbusto

Coach
Hi

I will be able to release all details about the Trial match shortly.

There will be a luncheon on Friday the 17th, the Trial on Saturday the 18th and some further fun organised on the Sunday morning.

Tickets to the trial are only $15 for adults, under 16s get in free.

roughneck

Juniors
I hope both teams have some of their big names in, this will be a great day out for the people in Hobart.

elbusto

Coach
Clash may nurture infant code

ADAM SMITH | January 30, 2012 12.01am

rugby1.jpg
Tasmanian Rugby League president Justin Kearney.

TASMANIAN Rugby League president Justin Kearney hopes next month's pre-season clash between the Melbourne Storm and Brisbane Broncos will have a flow-on effect on the sport locally.
The two biggest NRL clubs will battle it out at North Hobart Oval on February 18 in the last pre-season fixture for both outfits. Line-ups near full strength are expected.
Rugby league is played in summer in the state to avoid clashing with its brother code AFL, a move Kearney believes can help lift the profile of the sport.
And with names such as Billy Slater, Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk set to match up against Justin Hodges, Sam Thaiday and Jharal Yow Yeh, a jump in numbers could be expected.
"They are two of the biggest rugby league clubs in the world, playing in the biggest rugby league competition in the world," Kearney said.
"We don't compete with the other codes, we want to see more players at the senior level.
"We want to move our competition to the north as well, and we want to increase our junior base. One of the most important aspects is the Melbourne Storm are bringing down their community carnival, which is a festival of junior rugby league.
"In three years we have managed to maintain our senior competition and that's getting stronger.
"Certainly the standard of play is getting stronger, we have a junior development officer getting into the schools, just taking small steps.
"This is a real big event for us because it will give us momentum to build the game, but we are being very careful.
"When you are building a new competition like this you have got to make sure you don't go too quickly because it can fall over."
The TRU is working with TSL side North Hobart to help promote the event.
Kearney said it might seem peculiar that two competing codes were assisting one another, but getting more national sport into the state was a win for the community.
"We are not interested in any code wars or competition. From our point of view we are a summer alternative.
"I want to model ourselves on AFL, I don't want to compete with them, and I'm excited about the partnership with the North Hobart Football Club."
Tickets for the match can be purchased online from the NHFC website.
http://www.themercury.com.au/article...sport-news.htm
progress.gif

roughneck

Juniors
How are ticket sales going E? I am thinking of heading down to check out MONA (although I probably shouldn't admit that around here). It would be pretty cool to get to a game down there the same weekend.

roughneck

Juniors
Wow, 11,000 at the game, that crowd would put some Sydney teams to shame. A great result for rugby league in the apple isle.

sheet_ed

Juniors
Can anyone who attended the match give some player comments/ ratings for us poor slobs who stayed at home and mowed the lawns?

elbusto

Coach
Can anyone who attended the match give some player comments/ ratings for us poor slobs who stayed at home and mowed the lawns?
I was flat chat busy all afternoon. All I can tell you is the Storm have a lot of work to do on the edges as that is where the Broncos found them out.

Slater was brilliant.

StormHi

Juniors
Yeah I thought our defence was he hit the lead was pretty poor towards the end. Normally the shifting sliding coverage and communication is pretty flawless but there was deffinately a breakdown in communication late game that led to some pretty soft tries but in saying that we did rest 2 of our busiest talkers so I wouldnt read to much into it.

Bellamy will be able to address those issues. TBH Just happy to get through the game without to many Injuries so glad Petero got pinged for that hit in Hinchy Diddnt seem deliberate but brutal nevertheless.