What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm exodus begins - trio to Wigan 2011

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Melbourne Storm has tonight confirmed three members of its 2010 NRL squad, Ryan Hoffman, Jeff Lima and Brett Finch, have agreed to terms with English Super League club Wigan.

Hoffman, Lima and Finch will depart Melbourne at the end of the 2010 NRL season, reuniting with ex-Storm assistant coach, Michael Maguire, the current Wigan head coach.

Hoffman has secured a one-year deal at Wigan, with an option for a second, while Finch, 29 in August, has signed a two-year deal and Lima a three-year deal. Hoffman said the decision to leave Melbourne was a reluctant yet exciting one.

“Melbourne's been my home for the past eight years,” he said. “It was a very tough decision to go but hopefully, with me taking this opportunity overseas, it will give someone else the chance to have the same great experiences that I have had here.

“I'm proud and honoured to have been able to play for the Storm.

“Likewise I'm excited about playing for one of if not the most famous rugby league clubs in the world and becoming part of that club's already great history.

“Playing overseas is something that I've always wanted to do so when the opportunity to join a club that is on the verge of something special was too good to refuse.”

Finch added: “I've loved my time here in Melbourne. “It's been a difficult year, but if I had to go through it, I'm glad it was with this group.

“This club gave me an opportunity to continue in the NRL after I left Parramatta but playing in England has always been in the back of my mind.

"I've always wanted to play there and I'm extremely glad I'm going to such a strong club with a strong value set and a proud tradition.”

Finch will play his 254th NRL game against Penrith at AAMI on Saturday while Hoffman, 26, has played 163 NRL games – all for the Storm.

Lima, 28, has played 93 NRL games, 91 for the Storm.

Lima said: “It was Melbourne that threw a lifeline to me back in 2006 and I won't forget what this club has done for my family in that time.

“I'll be leaving with a lot of great memories.”

Storm coach Craig Bellamy said it was always tough to farewell players who had made such a mark in their time in Melbourne.

“It's always a sad time when you have to say farewell to one player, let alone three,” said Bellamy. “Ryan, as an example, has been here for eight seasons since he was 18, and in that time I've been fortunate enough to watch him develop from a boy to a man.

“I played with his father, Jay, at Canberra and he's of the same ilk, a really good person.

“These three players will forever be remembered by all at the club for the contributions that they have made both the Melbourne Storm and to the game.

“We have seven weeks now to send them out of this club on the right note. They've been great servants of rugby league in this country.”

http://leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=19604

stormbati

Bench
The club has lost a lot of quality players over the years but this time it hurts a whole lot more.

bartman

Immortal
Inevitable.

Only the boneheaded ex-Directors and the fans they led down the garden path believed this day wouldn't come.

United we... leave.

lturner

Juniors
Great to see the salary cap is working so well at spreading the playing talent around.

To other countries.

bartman

Immortal
Aw, poor Bellamy... :lol:. If he had any personal pride he'd walk out on the corrupt joint as well, quick smart.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...storm-stars-quit/story-e6frg7mf-1225894277468
Craig Bellamy shattered as Storm stars quit

• Dan Koch and Stuart Honeysett
  • July 20, 2010 12:00AM

THE player purge at Melbourne has accelerated with Greg Inglis tipped to sign with Brisbane as early as today
In addition Brett Finch, Jeff Lima and Ryan Hoffman announced last night they were heading to English Super League giants Wigan.
Of the quartet, Inglis's departure will have the greatest impact on the club's ability to squeeze under the salary cap for next season and will end the faint hopes the Storm and its supporters had of keeping the big four - Inglis, Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Copper Cronk.
The loss of all four players is a result of the club's salary cap scandal this season. An independent report by accountancy firm Deloitte found the club cheated the system by $3.17 million over the past five years.
A host of rival NRL clubs, including Brisbane's south-east Queensland rival, the Gold Coast Titans, had expressed an interest in securing Inglis' services. But Titans officials have been told the big centre will be in Broncos colours next season. The money on offer in Brisbane is well short of the $650,000-a-season package he is on at the Storm, however, Inglis's manager, Alan Gainey, admitted the commercial opportunities open to his client as the face of the Broncos will be far beyond those available to him in Melbourne.

Inglis's move has been greeted with excitement in Brisbane, where his centre combination with fellow Test star Justin Hodges is expected to make up for the loss of Israel Folau to the AFL.
Broncos backrower Corey Parker said yesterday: "You only have to look at what he has done and what he can do in the game to know he would be a boost to our backline.
"With Izzy leaving there is obviously a hole there and it would be pretty scary to think we could have Hodges and Inglis in the same side."
Storm coach Craig Bellamy issued a statement last night admitting it hurt to lose Finch, Lima and Hoffman at once.
"It's always a sad time when you have to say farewell to one player, let alone three," Bellamy said.
"These three players will forever be remembered by all at the club for the contributions that they have made both to the Melbourne Storm and to the game."
The fallout from the salary cap scandal continued on another front yesterday with the club's interim board appointing Melbourne lawyer Howard Obst to conduct a review of the Storm's legal battle against the NRL over the penalties it faces.
The action in the Victorian Supreme Court was initiated by the club's four independent directors - chairman Rob Moodie, Gerry Ryan, Peter Maher and Petra Fawcett - who were all sacked by the club's owner, News Limited (publishers of The Australian) last week.
Ryan admitted last week the court action, which allegedly has cost $450,000 to date, had been terminated and Obst will present his review to the board for consideration tomorrow night before it returns to court on Thursday.
However, given the club will need the NRL's assistance to get under the cap for next season and there are question marks about the validity of the case, it will be officially thrown out of court on Thursday.
While Melbourne has begun the process of shedding players, Penrith was yesterday celebrating the retention of star centre Michael Jennings, who signed a five-year deal with the club worth more than $2 million.

thorson1987

Coach
That takes away about half of what we are over for next year. May still be able to keep Inglis provided he doesnt sign with Brisbane.

StormChaser

First Grade
Oh well it had to happen. Still going to support the team no matter who plays for them.
Bring on 2011!!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would imagine the loss of these 3 and Inglis would put them very close to the cap. May need to shed a few fringe players at worst.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Wasn't the 1.3 mil the "projected" amount they were over for 2011?

If that's the case then how does Finch, a player off contract, save them anything?

Apey

Staff member

Aenemus

Juniors
:)

seriously, this is f**ked 2 1/2 quality players leaving for SL the NRL should do more to keep them in our game.

This is what's starting to bug me...

The Storm at the moment are allowed to pick and choose who is allowed to go where... basically preventing the players being able to go to NRL teams who have the cash and could use the players, also keeping them in the NRL

.. no suprise the only team allowed any leeway is Brisbane with GI.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
these figures were published on the smh website today.

STORM DAMAGE

Departed

• Ryan Hoffman (Wigan) - $250,000
  • Jeff Lima (Wigan) - $250,000
  • Aiden Tolman (Bulldogs) - off contract
  • Ryan Tandy (Bulldogs) - off contract
  • Brett Finch (Wigan) - off contract
  • Total saving - $500,000
Potential departures

• Greg Inglis (Brisbane, Gold Coast) - $660,000
  • Brett White (Canberra) - $300,000
  • Anthony Quinn (Huddersfield, Wigan) - $290,000
  • Adam Blair (Warriors) - $220,000
  • Sika Manu (Cowboys, Knights) - $200,000*
  • Kevin Proctor (Cowboys) - $100,000*
  • Dane Nielsen (Sharks) - off contract
Potential saving - $1.77 million

* estimated annual salary

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...inglis-is-not-one-of-them-20100719-10hvx.html

Springs

First Grade
Wow. Salary cup is implemented to help poorer clubs, so three go to Super League's best team Wigan and the Golden Boot winner to the team that has made the NRL finals 18 years straight...

Spitty

Juniors
Wasn't the 1.3 mil the "projected" amount they were over for 2011?

If that's the case then how does Finch, a player off contract, save them anything?

Never thought of that, great point. I know Tolman was off contract and I'm pretty sure Jeff Lima and Ryan Tandy were too. Not sure on Hoffman though, I'm pretty sure he signed a long term deal not that long ago. But I don't imagine they've actually saved themselves that much on next years cap at all.

I thought they'd all end up in Super Leage, AFL or Union because they're the only places their players can go without Storm topping up contracts and having that top up figure come out of there salary cap.