What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm in frame as King eyes exit (Sun-Herald June 1, 2008)

Poppa_Clay85

Juniors
Hi, My name is Carl and I'm 23 years old. I'm only new to the website but I am a Storm fanatic that lives in canberra.

a few days ago on Sunday June 1, 2008 I got the weeks addition of The Sun Herald. On Page 92 there is a photo of Matt King in his Warrington Wolves Jersey.

As quoted from the paper:

Storm in frame as King eyes exit Page 92 June 1, 2008 Th Sun-Herald.

MATT KING is believed to be trying to break his multimilliion-dollar with English Super League Club Warrington to return to Australia.

The big winger stunned NRL Last season when he turned his back on premiers Melbourne and NSW Origin side and Australian team to play in England on a four year deal estimated to be worth $3million.

The international joined former NRL players Adrian Morley, Michael Monaghan, Chris Hicks and Paul Rauhihi at the Wolves, but he's struggled to produce his best form yet.

A Sun-Herald sourse in the UK said that despite a public assurance from King that he's commited to Warringston, it's widely accepted he wants to return home - and Melbourne Storm are in the frame.

We're starting to hear his girlfriend isn't adjusting to the lifestyle here," the source said. "It's a concern because that is the kind of thing we've heard from the other Aussie such as Trent Barret and Danny Nutley... Barret's wife is homesick, Nutley's wife ands kids had trouble adjuction to life here. "It is a familure tune."

In Mid May the 27 year old admitted to the British media to being "embarrassed" by some of his earlier season efforts.

In comments that could concern the next batch of Australians to hit England, including the top-flight Danny Buderus (Leeds) and Michael Crocker (Hull) and Brett Hodgson (Huddersfield), Kind said he underestimated how challenging a move to Super League would be.

Carl says (HUGE ARTICLE AY)

"There have been times when I've walked off the field with my head in my hands because I've played at a standard I'm very embarrassed with,"he told the English media. "I think I thought I'd come over here and it would be like it has been for the last 4 1/2 years in Melbourne.

"I suppose I was comfortable I knew what I had to do with the footy team, I knew what my obligations were with the club.

"But it's been a whole new way of life for me over here. Without sounding like a big girl, I didn't anticipate the move was."

King rejected claims he was poised to break his contract saying it would go againts his nature. However, that was said before he suffered a bad head knock after a high tackle by Wigans Fullback Richie Mathers.

King would be the subject of a massive bidding war if he did sever ties with Warrington. While it's believed there has been dialogue between Melbourne and King, other clubs would kill to sign a player of his calibre.

Castleford's football manager Australian Michael Robinson while not in as position to comment of King's situation - said even the promise of massive amounts of money did not make the transition to Super League easy.

"England isn't all roses for everyone... some blokes find if very hard not to ave the sun on their back for 10 months a year,'

There is an argument that Kiwi players acclimatise a lot easier to Super League - the weather in Auckliand is similar to here.

Carl says Finally last paragraph....

"In many cases it is easier for a young single player to handle the switch than a player who comes over with a partner. The player walks into a ready-made family of 40 blokes, his partner doesn't have is so easy." King said.

Gosh finally, that's over... What do you guys think?
It would be good to get King back, but I highly doubt considering the pay and clause he probably has, I don't think they will let him go to easily.

It would be like Sonny-Bill switching to Union now, it would goto court and be all over papers and his reputation would be in shatters.

Anway guys, leave your messages and I hope to see what you all think.

From Carl