What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm Shopping Players Around

Nemesis

Bench
It seems the Storm have salary cap issues and are looking to unload some players.

Its surprising we haven't been linked with any of them, as we normally are. http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24941149-23214,00.html

Salary cap sees Melbourne Storm forced to let more players go

By Dan Koch
January 21, 2009 MELBOURNE football manager Frank Ponissi has failed to deny his club has been desperately trying to off-load at least two more members of its senior squad in a bid to ease pressure on its salary cap for the 2009 season.
Storm officials have contacted rival clubs over the off-season, including North Queensland, Wests Tigers, Brisbane and St George Illawarra, to sound out their interest in picking up the contracts of fringe prop Scott Anderson and winger Steve Turner.
Like so many champion teams before them, Melbourne has become a victim of its own success, with coach Craig Bellamy's starting 17 this year bearing little resemblance to the one which powered to the 2007 premiership.
While no one could argue the success of the salary cap as a competition-equalising tool, many within the game have questioned whether penalising a club for excellence flies in the face of the most basic principles of professional sport.
Having pieced together and developed his squad into the competition's most dominant force over the past three years, Bellamy has been forced to watch on helplessly as his squad was torn apart.
With little compensation or reward for clubs that invest in junior development, securing the long-term futures of skipper Cameron Smith, half-back Cooper Cronk, full-back Billy Slater and five-eighth Greg Inglis has meant letting go a host of others including Israel Folau, Matt King, Antonio Kaufusi, Jeremy Smith, Michael Crocker and Ben Cross.
But it would appear Melbourne remains fearful of its current predicament, with Ponissi going as far as admitting the club was dealing with "some issues" regarding the salary cap.
"I am not going to be drawn into speculation about individual players and their respective contract situations," Ponissi said. "I will say that like a lot of clubs in the NRL, we are dealing with salary cap pressure.
"There is always pressure from the salary cap, particularly at this time of the year, when you are finalising your squads. We are not exempt from that."
When asked directly whether Melbourne would find itself in breach of the cap if the club was audited today, Ponissi replied, "No. Not at the moment."
Should nothing change in the coming days, that assertion looks set to be put to the most ruthless examination, with NRL auditor Ian Schubert confirming he would run a fine toothcomb over the Storm's books within the next two weeks.
"We do all 16 clubs between November and March," Schubert said.
The Storm has incurred several fines over the past seven seasons for minor breaches of the cap.
The Warriors, meanwhile, have scheduled a board meeting for Monday to discuss the future of Test halfback Nathan Fien.
Fien, 29, has requested a release from the final year of his deal with the Warriors to take a lucrative three-year contract with English Super League club Huddersfield.
Midway through last season Fien was advised he would not be offered a contract extension.
He then starred for the Warriors in their charge through the finals and played a pivotal role for New Zealand in its dramatic World Cup victory over Australia.
After initially targeting Fien, Huddersfield instead opted for talented but troubled former Raider Todd Carney. But, when Carney was last week denied a UK visa, new Giants coach Nathan Brown went back to Fien

Looks like Turner is going to get his come uppence,after all the sh*t he put the Titans through.Karma.Having said that,he is a good player.

OVP

Coach
Scott Anderson and Steve Turner..... Turner would be worth considering as a possible replacement for Hegs (that is, if Hegs is leaving).

You reckon any club would be interested in him ? He's very average and would probably cost a bit. He reminds me of Chris Walker's utter sh*tness :lol:

Nemesis

Bench
You reckon any club would be interested in him ? He's very average and would probably cost a bit. He reminds me of Chris Walker's utter sh*tness :lol:
Solid winger... certainly not a star (by last years stats anyway). Hmmm.. if he was cheap, I'd give him a go.

Steve Turner
DOB 10/10/1984
Season
App 25
Try 11
Gls 8
Pts 60
Mins 2000
LB 11
LBA 2
TryA 1
Off 4
TBrk 56
Average
Mins 80
Runs 12.3
Mtrs 110
Tcks 6.1
Miss 1
Inef 0.5
KR 1.6
KRM 15.5
Total
Runs 307
Mtrs 2749
Tcks 152
Miss 26
Inef 13
KR 39
KRM 387
Kicks
Kicks 5
Mtrs 86
40/20 0
Errors
Err 18
Pen 1

Steve Turner.... No thanks. He can FOAD for all I care. After all the sh!t he put the Titans through, he'll be lucky if another club go within 100 metres of him.

Dave Q

Coach
Tuner is a treacherous, contract-breaking nuffie.

Trading in Roy and Wing for turner is like trading in a Lamborghini and a Ferari for a datsun 180B.

That was the most stupid post ever on LU. Congrats.

Last edited:
1. i have all my teeth
2. i live in the Sutherland Shire [which mind you, i hate to admit it and i hate living here]
3. Thirdly, im not a redneck, we all dont go incest like you
4. Get your terms correct
Wikipedia said:
Australia and New Zealand

The term "bogan" is used in Australia and New Zealand to describe individuals from western parts of eastern cities, particularly Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. There is no one ethnic heritage that ascribes a bogan, most indeed are from Anglo-Celtic origins.

5. Im not from a lower SES, nor am i wealthy
6.I dont believe that one race is supirior or inferior. Im of Aboriginal and Italian descent and there is no way i feel that we are better than white australians or people or any other cultural background.