What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm team of the decade

Ice777

Bench
Here are the players that were last night named as Melbourne Storm's team of the decade. Do you think they got it right? Do you think someone else should've been named instead?

Personally i think Robbie Ross was extremely unlucky to miss out on a spot, he was an excellent player for us in the early years and if it hadn't have been for injury cutting his career short we would've only seen him get better.

In saying that Billy is more than worthy as well to have his spot in the side IMO and if he had've missed out i would've considered him unlucky as well. One of them had to get the spot and i'd imagine the selectors had a sh*t of a time trying to spilt them.

1. Billy Slater
2. Matt Geyer
3. Matt King
4. Greg Inglis
5. Marcus Bai
6. Scott Hill
7. Brett Kimmorley
8. Glenn Lazarus - (C)
9. Cameron Smith
10. Robbie Kearns
11. Ryan Hoffman
12. Stephen Kearney
13. Tawera Nikau

Interchange:
14. Rodney Howe
15. Dallas Johnson
16. David Kidwell
17. Cooper Cronk

Coach: Craig Bellamy

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:lol:

Looks about spot on.

Should've had Matt Rua in there somewhere :fist:

azzah72

Bench
Good team, looks about right.

hehe i can just see it now, a sharks supporter will see this and say that team would bomb because kimmorley is in the team!!

strewth_mate

Bench
Used to love watching Tony Martin and Marcus Bai play together; though I suppose there's someone called Greg Inglis now...

Eels Dude

Coach
I'd have Richard Swain ahead of Cronk on the bench. Crock is going well right now, but Swain's effort and long term consistency gets my vote.

Cronk - Out
Swain - In

Steve Bell was also unlucky...

Orford - should have been the tackle bag for the dressing room !!.

Razor

Coach
Personally i think Robbie Ross was extremely unlucky to miss out on a spot, he was an excellent player for us in the early years and if it hadn't have been for injury cutting his career short we would've only seen him get better.

Robbie Ross was very over-rated. He only made the 98 Australian team, because about 5 players were injured.

Remember Ross left the Knights because he couldn't get into first grade.

Slater is by far the better fullback

keeney

First Grade
In the context of the Storm he was a very handy player, key to their premierhsip success.

DeeGan

Bench
Leaving all the off-field BS out of it, Chris Anderson's name should be there as coach. Craig Bellamy is a good coach who has the potential to be great, though his record doesn't stack up to Opes Anderson's IMO. The job he did in putting a competitive team together which went on to win the competition in 1999 is an amazing coaching feat and played a significant part in swaying some powerbroker's who didn't believe in a Melbourne franchise in a pro-AFL market.

Chris Anderson's first three seasons at Melbourne

1998 - Semi finalists - 3rd (17w, 6L, 1D)
1999 - Premiers - 3rd (16w, 8L)
2000 - Quarter finalists - 7th (14w, 11L, 1D)

* Three finals series appearances, a premiership - 50+ wins incl. finals games

The sour taste of the 2001 disaster (which saw Anderson leave after the round seven 42-18 loss to Parramatta to be replaced by Mark Murray) lingers with some at Melbourne. I don't know the full story down there, though the 2001 season should not take away from three successful years as coach of the Storm. If I was naming a team of the decade down Melbourne way, Chris Anderson is my coach.

Craig Bellamy was not able to manufacture a Grand Final win in 2006 despite being the overwhelming favourite after one of the most dominante regular seasons of all-time. Since Bellamy took over in 2003, his record has been impressive and he has made the semi-finals each year with out being able to get his side across the line.

As I have suggested before, if Bellamy cannot get the 2007 version across the line - questions will start being asked of the former Bennett mentor. I am a HUGE fan of Craig Bellamy as well, though I cannot select him ahead of Chris Anderson here.

Iafeta

Referee
A little more Richie Swain for me off the bench. He'd tackle a freight truck for his team if he needed to.

Captian_Klutz

Juniors
azzah72 said:
Good team, looks about right.

hehe i can just see it now, a sharks supporter will see this and say that team would bomb because kimmorley is in the team!!
He was awesome for the Storm.....

Must be something in the shire's water.

Captian_Klutz

Juniors
DeeGan said:
Leaving all the off-field BS out of it, Chris Anderson's name should be there as coach. Craig Bellamy is a good coach who has the potential to be great, though his record doesn't stack up to Opes Anderson's IMO. The job he did in putting a competitive team together which went on to win the competition in 1999 is an amazing coaching feat and played a significant part in swaying some powerbroker's who didn't believe in a Melbourne franchise in a pro-AFL market.

The sour taste of the 2001 disaster (which saw Anderson leave after the round seven 42-18 loss to Parramatta to be replaced by Mark Murray) lingers with some at Melbourne. I don't know the full story down there, though the 2001 season should not take away from three successful years as coach of the Storm. If I was naming a team of the decade down Melbourne way, Chris Anderson is my coach.

Craig Bellamy was not able to manufacture a Grand Final win in 2006 despite being the overwhelming favourite after one of the most dominante regular seasons of all-time. Since Bellamy took over in 2003, his record has been impressive and he has made the semi-finals each year with out being able to get his side across the line.

As I have suggested before, if Bellamy cannot get the 2007 version across the line - questions will start being asked of the former Bennett mentor. I am a HUGE fan of Craig Bellamy as well, though I cannot select him ahead of Chris Anderson here.
Belamy > Oaps easy

No sour grapes from me either.

D.Williams should be on the bench And I'd have picked Ross Over Slater.

Razor

Coach
The job he did in putting a competitive team together which went on to win the competition in 1999 is an amazing coaching feat and played a significant part in swaying some powerbroker's who didn't believe in a Melbourne franchise in a pro-AFL market.

But he didn't put the team together; he was given the team.

Brett Kimmorley made it quite clear that he did not want to go to the Storm. He wanted to go to Illawarra, and had an agreement with them. But he still was contracted to News Ltd, and News forced him to go to Melbourne. Other players didn't express their anger in public, but it's likely other players were told likewise.

Dani

Immortal
Melbourne has gone a bit League mad this week. It's pretty awesome to see.

DeeGan

Bench
Razor said:
But he didn't put the team together; he was given the team.

Brett Kimmorley made it quite clear that he did not want to go to the Storm. He wanted to go to Illawarra, and had an agreement with them. But he still was contracted to News Ltd, and News forced him to go to Melbourne. Other players didn't express their anger in public, but it's likely other players were told likewise.

:lol: Soooo ... Chris Anderson had no say in the team he wanted to put together for the Melbourne debut season? :lol:

Latest posts