What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stripping rule

NPK

Bench
I agree with the ruling on Sonny-Bill's strip last night, but here is a hypothetical:

Bowen caught a bomb 5 metres out from his tryline, breaks a tackle, runs 70 metres, and gets the ball stripped by Williams. Is it play on, or a penalty, because there was an attempted tackle by another Bulldog at the start of the play? (albeit 70 metres back and 15 seconds ago)

Martli

Coach
Yeah, play on because there is only one man in the tackle. He broke free of one tackle and entered into another. Breaking out of a tackle dosen't make you ammune to getting the ball stripped by another person, that's just tough luck if you ask me.

nqboy

First Grade
This happened in Townsville earlier this year when a Newcastle player beat the first tackle and left the tackler behind. He then ran into RA who stripped the ball and ran 40m to score.

Azkatro

First Grade
Very good point NPK. Yet another reason why there are so many rules in rugby league that need to be simplified.

Ilya

Juniors
It's actually not that complicated. If he breaks free, and there's no one on him, the stripping rule is reset. So once there's no one on him, anyone's allowed to strip it one on one.

ngap

Juniors
lebanese-PlaYa said:
mate da dogs were haRd done by wif that ruling.

Crap you could see sonny tell the other player to drop off so he could strip. The exact reason the rule is written like it is

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
NPK said:
I agree with the ruling on Sonny-Bill's strip last night, but here is a hypothetical:

Bowen caught a bomb 5 metres out from his tryline, breaks a tackle, runs 70 metres, and gets the ball stripped by Williams. Is it play on, or a penalty, because there was an attempted tackle by another Bulldog at the start of the play? (albeit 70 metres back and 15 seconds ago)

It's a very grey area. I have seen players brake a tackle and make more meters then another player will strip the ball and the guy who stripped the ball gathers it and it's play on.

The ref ruled correctly on Sonny Bill last night...although I don't agree with the rule it was definitely used correctly last night.

:|

Anonymous

Juniors
Well I'm still confused......when SBW stripped the ball the other tackler HAD dropped off....it was 1 on 1, so why wasn't it legit? The other tackle had been broken.

[furrycat]

Coach
Even if the player drops off from the tackle, it doesn't make it one on one then. Patten was in the tackle, therefore it cannot go back to being 1 on 1. Stupid rule.

Frailty

First Grade
It's not a stupid rule.... only stupid people get caught not understanding it... The rule has been around for a while now, and its not new. So here it is in a nutshell.

One on One strip is allowed. One on One being defined as only one player ever attempting to effect a tackle. IF there are two in the tackle, and one falls off, the remaining player is NOT allowed to strip the ball.
If there is a two man tackle which is broken out of, one player may effect a one on one strip in a following attempt at tackle, as long as the player with the ball has had the opportunity to regain his momentum

Simple

Anonymous

Juniors
haha Frailty, I don't see how you can say that's simple. That's an astoundingly nonsensical and arbitrary rule. Are you saying that, had Sonny Bill let the tackled player go, and then grabbed him again and ripped the ball, it would've been ok?