What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuart Fielden

Has signed for Wigan in a world record 450k ( sterling ) transfer fee. Shame really..would have liked him to have tested his self in the nrl to see how good he really is. Wigan and the salary cap:^o

nadera78

Juniors
Transfer fees aren't included in the salary cap.

Not entirely sure but I think an external source can be used to pay players outside of the cap. For example, a player is paid 100k, half is paid by a sponsor then only 50k is included in the cap. It could be done that way.

Or maybe he has a small wage but JJB Sport (Dave Whelan's firm) have given him a nice, big private sponsorship deal.

Either way, it's a shame he hasn't gone to the NRL to test himself, but really, he wanted to leave Bradford and being on a long contract they would only let him go if someone paid a big fee. Wigan are the only club in the world who could pay such a fee.

theboyem

Juniors
And if they go down his contract will be null and void and he'll be a free agent. The NRL in 2007 is still a distinct possibilty.

nadera78 said:
Transfer fees aren't included in the salary cap.

Not entirely sure but I think an external source can be used to pay players outside of the cap. For example, a player is paid 100k, half is paid by a sponsor then only 50k is included in the cap. It could be done that way.

Or maybe he has a small wage but JJB Sport (Dave Whelan's firm) have given him a nice, big private sponsorship deal.

Either way, it's a shame he hasn't gone to the NRL to test himself, but really, he wanted to leave Bradford and being on a long contract they would only let him go if someone paid a big fee. Wigan are the only club in the world who could pay such a fee.
My club Warrington, like Wigan have a multi millonaire owner who is also a fan of the club and even now sometimes stands on the terraces with the fans..and has spent over 300k on transfers in the last couple of years. So make that two clubs in the world that could pay such a fee ;-)

DeeGan

Bench
I believe the move gives a hint to the fact that Wigan will some how avoid relegation with the help of the powers to be running the Super League competition which has been a rumour for a while now. A world class prop who is only 26 y.o. is not going to a club to test himself against inferior opponents in the lower division for an entire season.

IF Wigan are relegated (unlikely IMO), does he have a "get out clause" in the contract?

Kiwi

First Grade
But wait, I thought he was Rooster bound according to certain rooster boosters

innsaneink

Referee
DeeGan said:
I believe the move gives a hint to the fact that Wigan will some how avoid relegation with the help of the powers to be running the Super League competition which has been a rumour for a while now. A world class prop who is only 26 y.o. is not going to a club to test himself against inferior opponents in the lower division for an entire season.

IF Wigan are relegated (unlikely IMO), does he have a "get out clause" in the contract?

For a team thats signed, Fielden, Barrett, Bailey & Morrison they dont sound like a team thats looking at relegation.....they must have something up their sleeve.

hutch

First Grade
innsaneink said:
For a team thats signed, Fielden, Barrett, Bailey & Morrison they dont sound like a team thats looking at relegation.....they must have something up their sleeve.

i thought morrison signed with bradford. i dont think wigan will go down, they regularly pull 10-15000 a game, super league cant afford to lose that many supporters.

PARANoIR

Bench
innsaneink said:

Theyll buy their way out of it.

Latest posts