What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuart quits eels

parra pete

Referee
Ricky Stuart has quit Parramatta to return to coach Canberra.
After weeks of speculation, Stuart has activated a get-out clause in his contract with the wooden spooners and will return to the club where he made his name as a premiership-winning halfback.
The former NSW mentor has been tight-lipped about his future but it’s understood that family reasons, coupled with frustrations with a divided Eels boardroom, have prompted the move.
Raiders directors met to discuss the coaching position prior to Wednesday night’s presentation night and it’s understood Stuart was preferred in favour of outgoing Cowboys coach Neil Henry, Raiders interim coach Andrew Dunemann and Kangaroos boss Tim Sheens.

"The period I’ve been with the Parramatta Eels has been extremely challenging, not only for me, but for many people like Steve Sharp who clearly have the best interests of the club at heart,” he said.
“I sincerely hope the stability the club is entitled to will soon return and reward those people who have genuine commitment and passion for the Eels.”
Stuart informed Sharp about the decision on Wednesday night. ‘‘It’s effective immediately,’’
Stuart’s manager John Fordham said. ‘‘It ends speculation about his future at the club.A three-year deal with the Raiders is expected in coming days.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rra-raiders-20130911-2tl1u.html#ixzz2eaW8EaJ6

Kiwi

First Grade
I dunno this will be the first time Stuart has had a decent team since his roosters days. I'm certainly not gonna write the raiders off. They can attack that's for sure, if Stuart can sort out their defensive lapses the Raiders will develop into a pretty decent side.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I dunno this will be the first time Stuart has had a decent team since his roosters days. I'm certainly not gonna write the raiders off. They can attack that's for sure, if Stuart can sort out their defensive lapses the Raiders will develop into a pretty decent side.

I think you can almost dismiss the Sharks stuff, because at the time he was in charge, they could barely make pay roll, let alone run a functioning footy club, they were fighting off the debt collectors weekly

and at parramatta, he's fair dinkum got 5 at most NRL standard footy players. So im sure as shit writing results there off.

His work at the back end of the roosters is what worries me, good club, well run, plenty of cash and influence at his disposal and total and utter management and roster failure.

If he can find a halfback, hooker and fix our defense, we will be a very good team. No easy feat i know but that's his challenge.

Raider_69

Post Whore
As said, i am not really counting much going on at parramatta, he literally doesnt have more than a handful of NRL standard footballers on that roster. Doesnt matter how good your structures are, if your players arent FG standard, they'll get towelled up on a regular basis

parra pete

Referee
As said, i am not really counting much going on at parramatta, he literally doesnt have more than a handful of NRL standard footballers on that roster. Doesnt matter how good your structures are, if your players arent FG standard, they'll get towelled up on a regular basis

FIVE of NRL standard?..I can only think of 3...Hayne, Fui Fui and Tim Mannah....I think you were being too KIND...

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
I like the idea of signing Ricky.

Yes he had a bad year at the Eels, but I do not think anyone ever could have managed to salvage anything other then the spoon.

I do not like the idea on how we obtained his services, but in hindsight, the same happened with us when we had Neil Henry.

He should add some discipline to our team. Apparently it is a three year deal, so I am happy to see how he manages the team. He has some great juniors here at the club and at least a team that should be competitive. If he fails, well it was worth a shot.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
I don't agree that you can write off Ricky's Sharks and Eels form. Our squad really isn't that much stronger than those and we certainly don't have anyone near the quality of Hayne or Gallen.

Hopefully we can sort out McCrone, Campese, Tilse and to an extent, Shillington.

charlie shark

Juniors
Look where the raiders finished on the ladder this year and see where they will finish next year Ricky Stuart will f**k your club as well its never his fault its the board or the CEO or the cleaner. Paul Kent even said it who is his friend he can only coach good players so unless The raiders can get Cam Smith Billy Slater and the rest of the Australian Team. The raiders will be firm favourites for the wooden Spoon.
Good Luck because you f**king need it.

Last edited:

aussies1st

Staff member
Him being a club legend is enough for me to overlook his past at least until we actually see what he does with the Raiders.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Ha my thoughts.

Our roster is plenty times better then the eels. We finished 6th in 2012. As per expected this was our failure year.

We dominate the junior comp for a reason. We have depth and we have plenty of current fire power. Ricky won't need to sack the squad or use a shoe string budget or be worried that the bank will take over due to non payment.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I just find it strange that Raiders fans can think this is a good.

I understand he deserves to at least start the season before bagging him, but for so many years you guys have complained about nepotism & the 'boys club'. You finally get rid of Furner, McIntyre is stepping down. Things were looking like they were changing...... then you sign a club legend with a terrible record.

I just thought you guys would be blowing up about this, & I came in here for the lawls. I don't want to see any of this optimistic shit. You've ruined my weekend.

Delboy

First Grade
Look, you Conan expect Eels fans to be ropeable, but the simple fact he lied and placed the clubs roster and future in jeopardy

All this pie in the sky stuff about hard nosed will help, wait till you meet him, then have a think.

Most Raiders fans are decent people, hope he doesn't screw you over like he has his past 2 clubs and the Blues, no matter what you think of an opposition club, very ordinary behaviour and he should be condemned for a long, long time

Good luck

mongoose

Coach
I just find it strange that Raiders fans can think this is a good.

I understand he deserves to at least start the season before bagging him, but for so many years you guys have complained about nepotism & the 'boys club'. You finally get rid of Furner, McIntyre is stepping down. Things were looking like they were changing...... then you sign a club legend with a terrible record.

I just thought you guys would be blowing up about this, & I came in here for the lawls. I don't want to see any of this optimistic shit. You've ruined my weekend.

I don't know if Ricky is part of the boys club, wasn't he basically told to piss off after the 1998 season cause he was so broken and injury prone?

Spot On

Coach
Ha my thoughts.

Our roster is plenty times better then the eels. We finished 6th in 2012. As per expected this was our failure year.

We dominate the junior comp for a reason. We have depth and we have plenty of current fire power. Ricky won't need to sack the squad or use a shoe string budget or be worried that the bank will take over due to non payment.

It's been proven time and time again that dominating the 'junior comp' means absolutely nothing. Canberra have proven that theory to be correct year after year after year. Defensively inept bunch of juniors being put into first grade is the result.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
It's been proven time and time again that dominating the 'junior comp' means absolutely nothing. Canberra have proven that theory to be correct year after year after year. Defensively inept bunch of juniors being put into first grade is the result.

Well hopefully with the new coach they will practice defense at training cause I don't think the old coach ever did....

Latest posts