What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sullivan to half Amone to 5/8 Sloan to Fullback

I must admit Jeremy, I am impressed that you take the time to trawl through my posts to find a comment I made about a game over 2 years ago. Not sure what relevance it has to do with my opinion today, but flattered that you cared so much. Nice to know you spend so much time thinking of me, although just a tad creepy.

And sorry, your importance to me is nowhere near the same level. I don't give a shit about anything you posted even yesterday, let alone 2 years ago.

Last edited:

Pro Dragons

Juniors
Comments by Wendell Sailor on MMM Friday‘s show about how the Dragons treat their young guns and Griffin coaching was quite damning. He said he keenly supports the Dragons but said the Dragons waste their juniors. He suggested that Almone and O’Sullivan’s manager should try to move them on inferring they are not treated well here. He also said the club should also move Griffin on. I find it hard to disagree on how these 2 players are treated and strongly agree about getting rid of Griffin before he destroys the confidence of other young guns who should be coming through in the next few years.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Comments by Wendell Sailor on MMM Friday‘s show about how the Dragons treat their young guns and Griffin coaching was quite damning. He said he keenly supports the Dragons but said the Dragons waste their juniors. He suggested that Almone and O’Sullivan’s manager should try to move them on inferring they are not treated well here. He also said the club should also move Griffin on. I find it hard to disagree on how these 2 players are treated and strongly agree about getting rid of Griffin before he destroys the confidence of other young guns who should be coming through in the next few years.
Yeah I heard that Del conversation on radio MMM and it certainly was damming as to the treatment of our young players.
It was both Sullivan & Sloan that Sailor suggested their managers need to get them out of the club to get an opportunity.
I particularly liked how he suggested the Dragons need to get rid of the coach.
He still loves the Dragons & has a soft spot, yet he can clearly see the problem.

Wendell still dirty about his son. Everyone jumping on the failed young ones bandwagon is starting to look very sheep like. For the record, I am not defending Hook, because I too think we could do better than him as head coach. But, all this talk about him ruining careers, ignoring the young talent etc. Our backline at full strength includes 4 young ones in Ramsey, Matt Feagai, Amone, and yes, Zac Lomax who is still a young one to me. They have shown they are capable of 1st grade. The other 2 in Sullivan and Sloan have not proven they are 1st grade ready. They have been given an opportunity and failed to show they can handle it. And injuries are what has stopped Sully and Max Feagai from more time, not Hook. Michael Molo has been given a shot and shown he can handle it, and hence, why he is given more opportunities. No other forwards are performing at levels in KOE Cup saying pick me, I'm ready.

So, that is 5 young ones given a shot and playing consistent 1st grade this year. How many more young ones does a team need?

SBD82

Coach
Wendell still dirty about his son. Everyone jumping on the failed young ones bandwagon is starting to look very sheep like. For the record, I am not defending Hook, because I too think we could do better than him as head coach. But, all this talk about him ruining careers, ignoring the young talent etc. Our backline at full strength includes 4 young ones in Ramsey, Matt Feagai, Amone, and yes, Zac Lomax who is still a young one to me. They have shown they are capable of 1st grade. The other 2 in Sullivan and Sloan have not proven they are 1st grade ready. They have been given an opportunity and failed to show they can handle it. And injuries are what has stopped Sully and Max Feagai from more time, not Hook. Michael Molo has been given a shot and shown he can handle it, and hence, why he is given more opportunities. No other forwards are performing at levels in KOE Cup saying pick me, I'm ready.

So, that is 5 young ones given a shot and playing consistent 1st grade this year. How many more young ones does a team need?
DFE744E1-BCEE-4C15-B6B6-CEF77837EC9C.jpeg

Mojo

Bench

4 - Sully, Mully, Max F and Sloane (note: agree re injuries affecting progress though).

4 - Sully, Mully, Max F and Sloane (note: agree re injuries affecting progress though).
So, your preferred backline would be:

1. Ramsey
2. Matt F
3. Lomax
4. Max F
5. Sloan
6. Amone
7. Sully

No room for Rav and Suli? Sorry, but can't see this backline being capable of competing for a couple of years yet. Would get absolutely flogged against most of todays teams.

I don't care where they come from, I just want some good young forwards thanks.
The discussion was about not giving our current juniors a go, and which ones do people want to see in 1st grade now.

Yes, buying them from another club is an easy fix, as long as they sign with us.

Mojo

Bench
So, your preferred backline would be:

1. Ramsey
2. Matt F
3. Lomax
4. Max F
5. Sloan
6. Amone
7. Sully

No room for Rav and Suli? Sorry, but can't see this backline being capable of competing for a couple of years yet. Would get absolutely flogged against most of todays teams.
I‘ve named young guys I reckon can play 1st grade. Not suggesting replacements for Suli and Rav. We’re getting flogged more often than not anyway. That’s why we’re running 11th.

I‘ve named young guys I reckon can play 1st grade. Not suggesting replacements for Suli and Rav. We’re getting flogged more often than not anyway. That’s why we’re running 11th.
Not all going to play 1st grade with Rav and Suli in the team, unless you intend to play a winger and centre in the forwards or bench.

Mojo

Bench
Not all going to play 1st grade with Rav and Suli in the team, unless you intend to play a winger and centre in the forwards or bench.
As I said, I nominted guys I reckon can play 1sts. I‘m not picking the line-up. For example, both Rav and Suli are injured. Having some depth in lower grades and challengers for the positions in the top grade is one thing we’ve got going for us, if only we weren’t carrying so many injuries.

As I said, I nominted guys I reckon can play 1sts. I‘m not picking the line-up. For example, both Rav and Suli are injured. Having some depth in lower grades and challengers for the positions in the top grade is one thing we’ve got going for us, if only we weren’t carrying so many injuries.
But the whole point argued by others was that these kids should not be playing reserve grade, but getting experience playing in firsts. I am all for the kids learning more in reserve grade, if they need it.

possm

Coach
You reckon Souths have no regrets over letting Reynolds go? Lots of people saying it was the wrong move.

As for letting the current Dally M leader go to not block the pathway of Bud "young talent on the rise", big gamble on what he has shown so far. I like the kid, and if he turns out with half the skills and talent of BHunt, he will have a decent career. If he shows that he is not up to it, not going to look like a clever move. If Hunt re signs and Bud moves on, the club has other talented kids showing potential to play in the halves who would jump at the chance to learn from BHunt.
The problem with Hunt is that he has been on big coin for years and only this season finally started to earn his keep. We have young guns coming through that aren't quite ready and as a result are prone to losing us games.

Hunt seems to believe he can get better coin elsewhere and if he did stay it would be at halfback only. The terms do not help with the development of Sullivan as our future halfback and also sets a bad president for other stars to follow in the future.

I say let Hunt go and buy Kyle Flannagan as one of our halfbacks. He and let Sullivan and Kyle Flannagan fight it out for the first-grade spot. Put the extra cap savings towards buying a couple of SOO standard props.

The problem with Hunt is that he has been on big coin for years and only this season finally started to earn his keep. We have young guns coming through that aren't quite ready and as a result are prone to losing us games.

Hunt seems to believe he can get better coin elsewhere and if he did stay it would be at halfback only. The terms do not help with the development of Sullivan as our future halfback and also sets a bad president for other stars to follow in the future.

I say let Hunt go and buy Kyle Flannagan as one of our halfbacks. He and let Sullivan and Kyle Flannagan fight it out for the first-grade spot. Put the extra cap savings towards buying a couple of SOO standard props.
As much as I think it would be a wrong move to let the current Dally M medal leader (ftr, I think he will not be the winner come season end) go, I would not offer him the same money he is on now for an extension. I would say around $700k-$800k per year for 2 years. If he decided to go elsewhere for more money, so be it. I would not up the offer. I agree we need to strengthen our forwards, and with quality, not those looking for a retirement package. But pretty sure we would struggle to find a SOO level prop wanting to sign with us unless we paid way overs. I am not a fan of doing that either. If we do that, it would have to be for a Haas or Tapine, but to me I think they are out of reach for us.

Mjab

Juniors
Just watching Mam from broncos
better than anything we have

I’ll compare him
to Amone tomorrow whom I’m sure will again disappoint

Sullivan totally unproven in first grade and injury prone , maybe at least play

at hooker with mybe for rest season

sloan needs first grade experience on the wing

Matt and Max also so far nothing to write home about in first grade

we need a more dynamic coach and a few more years of pain I suspect

Just on Sully, if Hunt accepts the extension and Bud requests a release to go to Bulldogs, or wherever, the club still has to grant that release for it to go ahead. They have every right to refuse it. Not saying they would, but it is an option they have if they want to keep him.

Latest posts