What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sullivan to half Amone to 5/8 Sloan to Fullback

To date I think Hook has refrained from throwing in Sullivan/Amone and Sloan together because:

1. Our forwards have been dominated in virtually every game this year, barring the Parra and Newcastle game

2. The juniors are still transitioning to playing against men.

3. They would be better protected when Molo, Sua and Burgess arrive as we will not be constantly attempting to run the ball back from our 10 metre line.

4. They would benefit immensely from a full pre-season of training to build their bodies up to NRL level.

They undoubtedly have the talent and together with the Fegai’s have played premiership winning football.

The boys may be better served being given the opportunity of a fresh start after the train wreck of a season 2021 has proven to be.

As Wayne Bennett has often said, “when you listen to the supporters and follow what they want, you end up sitting in the stands with them.

Please note I would play them all against the Roosters, which just goes to show I am a supporter of the club, not an NRL standard coach.

Dragon David

First Grade
To date I think Hook has refrained from throwing in Sullivan/Amone and Sloan together because:

1. Our forwards have been dominated in virtually every game this year, barring the Parra and Newcastle game

3. They would be better protected when Molo, Sua and Burgess arrive as we will not be constantly attempting to run the ball back from our 10 metre line.

4. They would benefit immensely from a full pre-season of training to build their bodies up to NRL level.

They undoubtedly have the talent and together with the Fegai’s have played premiership winning football.

The boys may be better served being given the opportunity of a fresh start after the train wreck of a season 2021 has proven to be.

As Wayne Bennett has often said, “when you listen to the supporters and follow what they want, you end up sitting in the stands with them.

Please note I would play them all against the Roosters, which just goes to show I am a supporter of the club, not an NRL standard coach.
This is exactly how I see it Saints Forever. Next year we will be a much improved team. We have got to maintain consistency each week and build accordingly to not fade away in the second half of the comp.

denis preston

First Grade

Yes, you make sense but how about Hook gets these kids together and tells them they have a "free pass "and any errors they make will just be part of 3 games valuable experience. Best to go into a pre season after at least experiencing game time at the highest level and to know what they need to work on. Again i say it's scary the limited game time these kids have had against men let alone senior football.

mickeylane

Bench

I actually don't rate Sullivan - he doesn't control games like a 7 should (he's more an attacking half rather than a game manager which is what you need nowadays from your 7)......I do think we need a 7 so to push Hunt to 9 and take the team to the next level as Hunt would undoubtedly be a weapon at hooker (McCulloch is a handbrake at 9)...i do like Nikorimas game management but not sure if there are any halves out there worth looking at....I would try and go for Canberra ex UK half George Williams...I reckon he would re-consider Oz again...worth a try...

PS: Convinced Amone is the solution at 6 even w the glimpses last night...he actually plays very similar to Parras Dylan Brown...a

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes, you make sense but how about Hook gets these kids together and tells them they have a "free pass "and any errors they make will just be part of 3 games valuable experience. Best to go into a pre season after at least experiencing game time at the highest level and to know what they need to work on. Again i say it's scary the limited game time these kids have had against men let alone senior football.
I wonder if the Gus Gould suggestion for a summer competition for those many players not able to play any footy is getting any legs from the NRL and the Commissioner.

I think teams in zones should play a couple against each other and the best two go into play the best two in another zone and so on to make it competitive rather than just having a run for the sake of it.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I actually don't rate Sullivan - he doesn't control games like a 7 should (he's more an attacking half rather than a game manager which is what you need nowadays from your 7)......I do think we need a 7 so to push Hunt to 9 and take the team to the next level as Hunt would undoubtedly be a weapon at hooker (McCulloch is a handbrake at 9)...i do like Nikorimas game management but not sure if there are any halves out there worth looking at....I would try and go for Canberra ex UK half George Williams...I reckon he would re-consider Oz again...worth a try...

PS: Convinced Amone is the solution at 6 even w the glimpses last night...he actually plays very similar to Parras Dylan Brown...a
3 games is wayyyyy to early to have decided exactly what type of player he is going to be long term. It is laughable every time I have watched him play lower grades he is pretty much the one controlling everything. Including the GF they won. Are you really expecting him to come in at 18-19 with a truckload of injuries and completely control our side? Amone is 8 games or so in and has due to fortune ended up getting a bit more of a go this year with injuries etc along with his versatility. He has the jump now for sure especially given that Hunt our captain is a 7 and he is a natural 6 but don't count out Sullivan yet. He has lost two years of reserve grade remember.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
That seems okay at surface level but if all three had shocking games and got smashed playing against men where do we go from there? We would spend the off season looking for some more money ball replacements.

If you look at how Amone has been blooded I think the blue print will be similar for Sullivan (20 mins or so from the bench at a time when the game is a bit slower than normal).

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Especially being able to string together 3 in a row together to build some combos without fear of getting dropped, just try some things have some fun and give us something to cheer for.

mickeylane

Bench
3 games is wayyyyy to early to have decided exactly what type of player he is going to be long term. It is laughable every time I have watched him play lower grades he is pretty much the one controlling everything. Including the GF they won. Are you really expecting him to come in at 18-19 with a truckload of injuries and completely control our side? Amone is 8 games or so in and has due to fortune ended up getting a bit more of a go this year with injuries etc along with his versatility. He has the jump now for sure especially given that Hunt our captain is a 7 and he is a natural 6 but don't count out Sullivan yet. He has lost two years of reserve grade remember.
Why is Sam Walker different at 18, what about Cleary at 19 when he came on, I'm not going to mention Dylan Brown at 18 when debuted...we have to stop giving Sullivan a soft ride ..I've never known a player in the NRL needing to break himself in...you do that in the lower grades when you get to the NRL there's points on offer and no place for 2nd chances or trials.......Sullivan is either ready for 1st grade or not...if he is show us what you got ...at this stage he has very little compared to what Sloan has shown in 2 games and Amone in 8 ..He may be a slow one who knows... one time Dragon junior Damien Chapman was an absolute gun in reserves and a flop in 1st grade...there's plenty of those types going around Jackson Hastings anyone..

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Why is Sam Walker different at 18, what about Cleary at 19 when he came on, I'm not going to mention Dylan Brown at 18 when debuted...we have to stop giving Sullivan a soft ride ..I've never known a player in the NRL needing to break himself in...you do that in the lower grades when you get to the NRL there's points on offer and no place for 2nd chances or trials.......Sullivan is either ready for 1st grade or not...if he is show us what you got ...at this stage he has very little compared to what Sloan has shown in 2 games and Amone in 8 ..He may be a slow one who knows... one time Dragon junior Damien Chapman was an absolute gun in reserves and a flop in 1st grade...there's plenty of those types going around Jackson Hastings anyone..
Cleary wasn’t killing it straight away, Walker is a freak and has been talked up for years alongside both playing in great systems with great coaches. Cleary got to learn off Maloney, Walker off Keary and Tedesco. Sullivan in his first game for us won the game for us, the second was off the bench and the third was vs South’s in basically a reserve grade side vs a Bennett coached premiership top dog. Vastly different situations. This is the epitome of what is wrong with our supporters and club as a whole. No patience, no planning.

Like us to make a play for Tannah Boyd. You want a game manager at half, he is one.

possm

Coach
Our forwards are a major problem at the moment. I doubt adding Molo, Burgess, and Su'A to the pack will do the trick; we need another top-grade prop if we are to compete.

Personally, after seeing Hunt play hooker in SOO, I would rather he and McCullough share the hooking role. Sullivan and Amone are our long-term halves and so, should be used in the halves for the remainder of the season. Bird to left-center.

The problem with growing your own players is that so many times they are not ready for first grade when you need them. Right now I can't pick a fullback in our 17. Bird is not the answer and Dufty is moving on. Sloan is not quite ready and neither are any of our other young guns, including Ramsey.

Our season is over so let's just test some of our youngsters. Bive Stuart and Schiller a run, let's see if either of them are up to it.

mickeylane

Bench
Cleary wasn’t killing it straight away, Walker is a freak and has been talked up for years alongside both playing in great systems with great coaches. Cleary got to learn off Maloney, Walker off Keary and Tedesco. Sullivan in his first game for us won the game for us, the second was off the bench and the third was vs South’s in basically a reserve grade side vs a Bennett coached premiership top dog. Vastly different situations. This is the epitome of what is wrong with our supporters and club as a whole. No patience, no planning.
I'm not arguing, I'm just saying I personally don't think he's anything special and seriously cant see one thing in his game that cries out 'I'm special'...anyhow lets wait and see.. Amone and Sloan on the other hand...you can see something there its as clear as day...

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I'm not arguing, I'm just saying I personally don't think he's anything special and seriously cant see one thing in his game that cries out 'I'm special'...anyhow lets wait and see.. Amone and Sloan on the other hand...you can see something there its as clear as day...
Ramsey also killed it in his first few games (outside Lomax though) but after a full season NRL takes it's toll, same could easily happen to Amone, Sloan and Sullivan should they get that many games in a row. Who knows which one of them will succeed and which wont but 2.5 games is way too early to write off, just 2-3 games is way too early to lock in as the next David Peachey for Sloan. I believe with the right development they will all succeed. None of them will be flawless and will all have shockers in their journey that the fans will berate them for. They wont be the finished product for at least a couple of seasons. On Amone, sure he had a good game last night but he also come on late when the opposition was tired to put it in perspective what is the difference between last nights game which is 8 games in to his career and Sullivans debut where he setup Friz to win the game for us vs Melbourne after not having played footy all season due to the Covid 19 situation?

thebigredv

First Grade
We simply wont know how good our wingers are until Norman makes way for someone better, and our forwards do their job properly.

I'm still holding out hope for Ramsey.

Watching Garrick and Saab put on another show with Turbo just toying with Parra as he always does.

Last edited:

Latest posts