What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sunday afternoons channel nine game

j_tig

Juniors
really want to go out to see the tigers dogs game, but ive gotta go down the coast with the better half and her family,
what game is nine showing this week, [-o< please be tigers vs dogs

JK

And we see the problem with scheduling TV games so far in advance. Dogs have too many and are not playing well, nor are Tigers. The Manly-Melbourne game would be perfect.

Mr Saab

Referee
JK

in the AFL they schedule their games before the season starts...how bad is that? Some games could be complete jokes for TV.
Ch 9 do it much better with league.

Azkatro

First Grade
I disagree. I think the way Channel 9 schedules their games alienates the poor performing clubs, and encourages people to support the winning teams. I have no doubt that if they had a smarter rotation policy with regards to television matches on free-to-air, we would having seen clubs like the Cowboys have a few more Sydney fans before last year. I'm pretty confident that there's a few casual league fans out there with no Foxtel who would have watched a bit of Matt Bowen in action well before Origin 2003 and gotten behind him and the team.

Just like the lesser performing clubs this year, Souths have started winning but the strugglers will not get games on channel 9 but we know all teams have some exciting players who deserve to be seen by the viewing public.

As it is now the majority of league supporters have an "out of sight, out of mind" mentality with the struggling teams.

Mr Saab

Referee
i see where u are coming from azkatro, but if you win you will be on TV.
Look at your team, 2 weeks in a row they have been on TV.
Its the nature of the beast, you dont win you dont get on TV.

Matt M

Juniors
People should be lucky that games are scheduled this late, 5 weeks is a very short period of time for scheduling matches.

Personally I think the Manly v Melbourne match should be on, but how were the NRL and Channel 9 supposed to pick that Manly and Melbourne would be teams 1 and 2?

Tigerpete

Juniors
Yeah 5 weeks is VERY short really, when you consider the planning needing to be done. Glad the Tigers will be on 9 this weekend though as i have almost no hope of gettting out there for the game.

Moggles

Juniors
After watching the Penrith V Roosters match on Sunday I hope Parra do not get a Channel 9 game for a while.
The telecast was full of ad breaks and when there was footy on the screen, Phil Gould would not shut up.

I noticed there were comercial breaks at the 7min, 14min, 22min and 31st minute of the game. I am unsure of what happened after that because I started watching the Eels game on fox.

After missing 15 minutes of the cowboys game on Friday night and the continual commercial breaks during the suday game I gotta say that Channel nine really need to lift their game.

Mr Saab

Referee
they always have 4 ad breaks per half.
I usually watch the ch9 game on FOX later that night.

Scheduling 5 weeks in advance is a joke!! I am trying to organise my trip to Brisbane for the Storm v Broncos match in July, but I can't plan anything because I don't know what day we play... It's Bullshit!!! :evil:

JK

Charlie Saab said:
JK

in the AFL they schedule their games before the season starts...how bad is that? Some games could be complete jokes for TV.
Ch 9 do it much better with league.

That is what I get for writing in a hurry.

I mean that the 5 week gap provides too much space to select quality games but at the same time offers less exposure to struggling clubs (and therefore less sponsorship)

I prefer the AFL model with a minimum content clause for all clubs. You get pot luck but it is more equitable.

JK

steaming stormer said:
Scheduling 5 weeks in advance is a joke!! I am trying to organise my trip to Brisbane for the Storm v Broncos match in July, but I can't plan anything because I don't know what day we play... It's bullsh*t!!! :evil:

I have the same issue with storm-bulldogs.

Cheap flights need to be booked early NRL! :evil:

mr panama

Juniors
i think the nrl is the only major sporting competition around that don't schedule all their games in advance for the upcoming season. everybody else does it except league. it's a pain in the arse not knowing when your team is playing until 5 weeks beforehand as you want to plan everything in the one go.

i have heard the nrl are 'trying' to plan in advance but they say it's 'difficult' to do that. that's just another way of saying 'we couldn't be bothered doing anything like that and we are quite happy to continue to take orders from a tv network while receiving a pittance in return for what the game is really worth.' :evil:

Duff

Juniors
Well Channel 9 has decided to show the manly v Souths match as the Sunday game for Round 7.

Hopefully it's a really good game. What are others opinions?

mr panama

Juniors
well if manly keep up their good form and souths keep playing like did against us (eels) on sunday, then it should be a good game to watch.

and don't forget the manly-souths rivalry. always a lot of animosity between these two teams.