What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunday Night Footy

greeneyed

First Grade
Friday night 8.30 pm is prime viewing time, not as many viewers as Sunday nights, but it still gets so many viewers that it is amongst the top shows of the whole week.

ibeme

First Grade
Beaussie said:
Simo said:
I actually agree 100% with moffo.

First of all it isnt because we dont want to see a game live, its because alot of people have family and work to think of and a Sunday night is not the best night to take everyone out.

Oh yes, point taken. That would explain the piss poor crowds over the entire weekend, right throughout the rl season. :lol:

There wouldn't seem to be a good time to schedule matches of rl for lazy league supporters. Put simply, there isn't any passion or motivation for getting off the lounge away from the TV and supporting one's team.

No wonder rl already has one foot in the grave.

Beaussie, name one major sport that is played on a Sunday night. Difficult isn't it? Maybe that's because it doesn't work, for anyone, not just rugby league. Unless it's a long weekend, Sunday night is a stupid time to attempt to draw a crowd unless it's to a tv, or the olympic games.

60000 people marched through George St when Souths were given the boot. I can't think of too many sports that would inspire such a strong reaction.

Just out of interest, does the term 'syphon' mean anything to you?

Beaussie said:
There wouldn't seem to be a good time to schedule matches of rl for lazy league supporters. Put simply, there isn't any passion or motivation for getting off the lounge away from the TV and supporting one's team.

You sound like you want to be the new forum bitch and nobody's biting.

So I will.

I like AFL but the thing to remember is that it's based in Melbourne.

Melbourne is the arsehole of the planet. It's exactly what hell will be like except 20% more boring.

Thank Christ for AFL because if it didn't exist, all those pricks from that feckless dump of a city would be moving north. If it wasn't for Melbourne's penis envy of Sydney, AFL would never have been invented.

If you want to argue the relative merits of the two codes, try here...

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/viewforum.php?f=56&sid=d4070e9f984d712ace7cad3a531ab653

Back on topic, I prefer the replay at 6.30, gives me enough time to get back from a 2.30 kick-off match.

Razor

Coach
Sunday night fta is usually fairly average. I usually watch the movie on Movie One. Don't subscribe to Showtime, it's to expensive. But with the various pay TV channels now showing movies commercial free, and with the huge flux of DVDs there's little point watching a movie on fta.

Movie One used to show their premieres on Saturday night until 2 years ago, when the ratings they were getting didn't appeal, so they changed to Sunday night. Showtime did the same around 6 months later.

sunny

I have never understood the obession with Sunday night. To me, it's the most miserable time of the week- the weekend is over and all you can do is look foward, usually with trepidation, to another week of work or school. Yet people love this pap they put on on it- big brother, the block, etc., all throughly shithouse shows.

As for league on a sunday night (ie the actual game being played on a sunday night) they've tried it a little bit without much success. Sunday Night league used to be great on Channel ten from 6;30 to 8;30 (THE MMI BIG GAME!!!!!!!!!!!), shithouse on 9 with one hour highlights. Channel ten also used to have that show "late night league", which was good. As for a game or some sort of league show at 8;30 sunday nights now, I'd say 'no', because it just wouldn't work no matter what you put on, barring the gf or a state of origin.

Grantwhy

Juniors
Ok - Throwing an idea out to see what happens :shock:

What about bringing Monday Night Football back?

I'd only support it if the 2 teams involved were guarantee 6 days rest (that's no Friday or Saturday games the following week ;-) )

Could it work? Would it be supported? (by the NRL, the Clubs, whoever get's to broadcast it, the fans, the sponsors etc)

What do you think?

Simo

First Grade
Beaussie said:
Simo said:
I actually agree 100% with moffo.

First of all it isnt because we dont want to see a game live, its because alot of people have family and work to think of and a Sunday night is not the best night to take everyone out.

Oh yes, point taken. That would explain the piss poor crowds over the entire weekend, right throughout the rl season. :lol:

RL has a foot in the grave?

Yes sure mr o'neil, what ever you say say blah blah blah foots been in the grave for about 8 years now :roll:

ibeme he sounds like syphon used to but i have read some good posts that were not as biased from syphon in his later days. Havent seen him in a while though.

Sunday arvo is a great time for footy and i think it should stay.

Grantwhy,

Monday night footy is an interesting one.

I know it went alright for some matches in '95/96 i remember being at cronulla v manly and it was a good crowd.

But im not sure of regular monday night footy, particularly in bad weather which on a monday night there is very little chance of people to turn up.

They have to be advertised if they do it as the games that were played last year were because of stdium bookings and such and werent advertised very well to get much intrest.

I dont know, i think id rather the games on the weekend other than monday night, especially if the game you are taking away is an arvo game because as i said earlier we havent got many day games left!

Beaussie

First Grade
ibeme said:
60000 people marched through George St when Souths were given the boot. I can't think of too many sports that would inspire such a strong reaction.

Oh and where have them 60,000 people been since South's readmission :lol:

The majority of them 60,000 people simply marched for the sake of a protest. How else do you explain the continual lack of support for Souths. There broke again with no crowds, members or sponsorship. Seriously, where would South be with out the pokie gamblers of Souths juniors?

Hazy

Juniors
OK - lets get this back on track.

Everybody go back and read my original post.

The first one.

The one right up the top of the page.

NOW.

have you read it yet?

good

Ill paraphrase...

Apparantly the free to air networks are worried about losing viewers to to the "premier" movies on Foxtel channels, and they are thinking of moving away from showing movies on Sunday night.

They are looking for something different to get them back.

Hence - Channel Nine - the 'sports' network at 8.30pm, after 60 minutes, running a full length replay of a game played that day NATIONALLY.

Those who went to the game - be it in Sydney, Canberra, Brisbane, Newcastle or Melbourne. (Auckland being left out for obvious reasons...) could go home and watch it again, and have all their questions answered.

Was (player)'s try result of a forward pass?

Did (player) get completely f**ked by (player)'s step?

Those who didn't watch it, get a whole new game of footy to kick back and enjoy.

Even if they do know the score, so what???

How 'did' team A beat team B?

Was (player)'s tackle as huge as they said?

The NRL doesnt lose against the gate, and Channel Nine gets a 'relatively' cheap two hours to fill Sunday night.

Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Darwin get rugby league at a decent hour and its not up against AFL...

or am I making too much sense?

bender

Juniors
Hazy said:
OK - lets get this back on track.

Everybody go back and read my original post.

The first one.

The one right up the top of the page.

NOW.

have you read it yet?

good

Ill paraphrase...

Apparantly the free to air networks are worried about losing viewers to to the "premier" movies on Foxtel channels, and they are thinking of moving away from showing movies on Sunday night.

They are looking for something different to get them back.

Hence - Channel Nine - the 'sports' network at 8.30pm, after 60 minutes, running a full length replay of a game played that day NATIONALLY.

Those who went to the game - be it in Sydney, Canberra, Brisbane, Newcastle or Melbourne. (Auckland being left out for obvious reasons...) could go home and watch it again, and have all their questions answered.

Was (player)'s try result of a forward pass?

Did (player) get completely f**ked by (player)'s step?

Those who didn't watch it, get a whole new game of footy to kick back and enjoy.

Even if they do know the score, so what???

How 'did' team A beat team B?

Was (player)'s tackle as huge as they said?

The NRL doesnt lose against the gate, and Channel Nine gets a 'relatively' cheap two hours to fill Sunday night.

Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Darwin get rugby league at a decent hour and its not up against AFL...

or am I making too much sense?

If the replay had already been played on fox, I am not so sure that the ratings would be all that spectacular, although having said that they would be no worse than where they are now and they are pretty good so I guess it would work.

Still though, to me the answer is obvious. 60 minutes at 6:30 and rugby league at 7:30 and a movie at 9:30. That gives rugby league the prime chance to get as many viewers as possible.

Hazy

Juniors
Not everybody has Foxtel.

The only reason I got it is because league doesnt get much (any) of a run on FTA in Melbourne.

greeneyed

First Grade
The problem is, Channel 9 in Melbourne won't show rugby league on Saturday afternoons.... They won't even show it at 11.30pm... they show it at 1.30am... Half the time they won't even show it at all in South Australia and Western Australia. Today's WCC was NOT shown in WA at all by Channel 9..... it will only be on the Foxtel replay there.

Do we really think Channel 9 is going to show Rugby League at 8.30 pm nationally on Sunday nights? I am all for more national coverage, but we have to be realistic.. Saturday nights maybe if it were live (even then I doubt it very much)..... but Sunday night is the biggest viewing night of the week and the southern State Channel 9s just won't do it.

Hazy

Juniors
But if they are losing viewers to Foxtel movies, why not try something different?

Ive searched for the original news story on the net, but since I found it in the liftout entertainment section of the Herald Sun, I cant seem to locate it in cyberspace.

greeneyed

First Grade
I saw the original article about movies losing ratings on Sunday night. However, Channel 9 Melbourne won't show the Sunday afternoon league game at 10.30pm in place of the REPEAT Sunday late movie/other repeat programs....... It will never fly!