What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunday Roast on the Johns Move

A few good points were made today about the Andrew Johns move to Warrington at the end of the season.

First of all, I agree that allowing Johns to do this, opens up a doorway for other players to go through. Like they said, what is to stop someone like Minichiello, Fitzgibbon, Rooney, Buderus, Priddis etc who are no longer in finals contention to sign similar deals in the ESL? Players next season could be more aware to the possibility of these type of signings happening, and so will ESL, which means more and more players could go overseas purely to play a finals series.

If this incident is going to be a 'once off' then what makes Johns so special that he is the one who gets the opportunity, whereas others don't.

However, all that aside, it isn't all negative as it will add a lot to ESL. The hype will bring interest to the sport and will help the game internationally.

Try to keep all the talk of Warrington vs Australia in the other thread.

aussies1st

Staff member
Some very good points made in the Roast. Never thought about other players moving over. I don't think it should be allowed as if it is the NRL sets the trend which could mean other players wanting to do this have the agruement that if Johns can do it why can't I.

Misty Bee

First Grade
I can't see the problem with a player missing a test for a grand final.

If the stupid ARL didn't schedule the clash, there would be no problem.

What's the fuss about a player playing a few games in the UK anyway?

~knights~

Juniors
Who ever organised the schedule should be shot

I wish they could change the date

it would solve a few problems

Woods99

Juniors
Surely it all depends on the individual player's contract with his main employer, his NRL club.

If an NRL club allows a player to play in the off-season for another entity, presumably that is the end of the story.

If the ARL refuses to pick a player for a representative team for any reason, that is also the end of another story.

I doubt that a player could go to play for somebody else unless his NRL club allows him to, and I doubt that anybody could sue selectors who failed to pick him for a team at any level.

G_G

Juniors
JoeysChiropractor said:
Like they said, what is to stop someone like Minichiello, Fitzgibbon, Rooney, Buderus, Priddis etc who are no longer in finals contention to sign similar deals in the ESL?

I really don't see this being a problem as Johns' situation is a unique one. Newcastle would have given him anything he asked for to get him to resign. Somehow I don't see other clubs being as understanding.

Jono078

Referee
Misty Bee said:

Exactly right, who ever scheduled it is a dropnut. Im suprised they dont have AUS vs. GBR on the Super League Grand Final day, imagine all the pommies missing out then :roll:.

Kiwi

First Grade
Bob McCarthey ( sp? ) was on the radio today and didn't sound like he would support Johns missing the first test and being selected for the rest of the tri nations.

eelandia

Juniors
Kiwi said:
Bob McCarthey ( sp? ) was on the radio today and didn't sound like he would support Johns missing the first test and being selected for the rest of the tri nations.

Another dinosaur in high places with rose coloured glasses on. It would never of happened in his day, of course.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Misty Bee said:

Most people have no problem with him playing in the UK, but for him to miss a test for his COUNTRY is a bit far stretched. We can't be in a situation where players put club before country!

Razor

Coach
lockyno1 said:
Most people have no problem with him playing in the UK, but for him to miss a test for his COUNTRY is a bit far stretched. We can't be in a situation where players put club before country!

That coming from a Broncos fan? Where all of the players in the team put club before country 10 years ago?

lockyno1

Post Whore
Razor said:
That coming from a Broncos fan? Where all of the players in the team put club before country 10 years ago?

That was 10 years ago. It is a different situation now. Especially when we are trying our hardest to get International League back on track! You can't let players decide what they want to do!

Razor

Coach
lockyno1 said:
That was 10 years ago. It is a different situation now. Especially when we are trying our hardest to get International League back on track! You can't let players decide what they want to do!

So it was okay 10 years ago, but not today? And it was okay when Webcke did it in 2001, but not now?

markstan

Juniors
JoeysChiropractor said:
First of all, I agree that allowing Johns to do this, opens up a doorway for other players to go through. Like they said, what is to stop someone like Minichiello, Fitzgibbon, Rooney, Buderus, Priddis etc who are no longer in finals contention to sign similar deals in the ESL? Players next season could be more aware to the possibility of these type of signings happening, and so will ESL, which means more and more players could go overseas purely to play a finals series.

For a start it's the biggest load of rubbish I wouldn't mind betting that now all the clubs in contention for the finals would have a full allotment of INT players. They cant just cancel contracts otherwise there will be massive implications for the clubs that do! There's probably only 1 or 2 spots that are possbily left, there mightn't be anymore infact.

Razor

Coach
markstan said:
For a start it's the biggest load of rubbish I wouldn't mind betting that now all the clubs in contention for the finals would have a full allotment of INT players. They cant just cancel contracts otherwise there will be massive implications for the clubs that do! There's probably only 1 or 2 spots that are possbily left, there mightn't be anymore infact.

Not to mention they still have to have room under their salary cap. Not many clubs do. Warrington is one of the few that did.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Razor said:
So it was okay 10 years ago, but not today? And it was okay when Webcke did it in 2001, but not now?

Last time I looked Webcke has never played in the ESL! I said that we are in a situation where we need to improve the game internationally. To do that you can't have players deciding to put club before country. 10 years ago international football was dead so it did not matter if players missed test matches, becuase AT THE TIME that was common practice!

Razor

Coach
lockyno1 said:
Last time I looked Webcke has never played in the ESL! I said that we are in a situation where we need to improve the game internationally. To do that you can't have players deciding to put club before country. 10 years ago international football was dead so it did not matter if players missed test matches, becuase AT THE TIME that was common practice!

10 years ago when all these players turned the back on their country there was in that year - 3 tests against the Kiwis and a World Cup planned. They avoided all of those matches when they said that they didnt' care about playing for Australia. They missed a lot more than 1 match.

I didn't say Webcke played in the ESL, he decided he didnt' want to play in matches but play in later ones.

Misty Bee

First Grade
The precedent was set during Super League,when half the comp put their wallet before their country.

Besides, Joey wants to miss one test for a GRAND FINAL. Back then they even forfeited because of their wallets, showing they had no loyalty even to their sport.

dontmakemeangry

Juniors
If he decides to play in the English Super league GF over a test match then as far as i'm concerned he should never be allowed to don the jersey again. A statement that wouldn't bother him in the slightest i feel.

Misty Bee

First Grade
To say that after all the discussion that has gone before leaves only 1 possible conclusion.

You are a moron.