What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super 12 impact

joshreading

Staff member
If Melbourne were to get a Super 12 side, what sort of impact would it have on the Storm.

Please only respond if from Melbourne or lived in Melbourne recently.

the club may take a bit of a hit later in the season but knowing how rare super [insert number] home games are, i doubt it'll make much more of an impact. CMIIW but don't their finals come during mid year?

i did hear that bracksie is campaigning to upgrade OP just for an S12 team. damn shortsighted fool.

Surandy

Bench
Thunderstruck said:
i did hear that bracksie is campaigning to upgrade OP just for an S12 team. damn shortsighted fool.

How typical of the Victorian politicians, they'll throw money at a rugby union team but they won't do anything for the Storm!!!

GRRRRR :x :x :x

Surandy

Don't worry it won't happen. 8)

Those pollies would do anything to milk the RWC publicity wagon. :-&

They will not put thier money where there moth is. [-X

GO Storm !!!!!
yellow.gif

joshreading

Staff member
What (if any) percentage of Storm fans would stop going to the Rugby League and start going to the Union?

Also how big is the HARDCORE fan base of the Storm?

Dunno about Union

We averaged about 10,500 to our home games so I rekon that our "Hardcore" (love that word) fan base would be about 9 - 10 thousand give or take a few.

GO Storm !!!!!
yellow.gif

XXXX

Juniors
People just dont switch codes like that .The Storm wont loose any supporters .The AFL wont loose supporters .Each has it's own market .
Any effect will be in the sponsorship dollar thinning out .More teams =less dollars to go around .

olympic park

Juniors
there would be some impact yes, but with the lack of games that onion play in their super 12 season (each team gets only 5-6 home games per year in a 12-team comp, so a 14-team comp would give them only 6-7) as opposed to the storms 12 home games (13 if gold coast is entered into the fold in 2005) plus storm finals at home the storm would still certainly be competitive out there.

the AFL just dont realise that people won't just follow one code of footy and that diversity can also work in their favour. maybe if onion does come to melbourne the AFL will put all their efforts into derailing them and leave the storm to grow!!!

XXXX

Juniors
" The AFL just dont realise that people won't just follow one code of footy "

Yes most people follow one code intently .

"and that diversity can also work in their favour."

Yes the AFL got a lot of rugby followers to watch the International series with Eireland .

"Maybe if RU does come to Melbourne the AFL will put all their efforts into derailing them and leave the storm to grow!!!"

Worst logic I've ever seen .The AFL is interested in growing AFL by advancing AFL .It can in no way "derail" another spot .All it can do is increase it's efforts like advertising funding and promotion etc.

joshreading

Staff member
A thought - maybe the presence of RU will help raise the profile of Rugby League as a distinct and BETTER Sport. So often people simply know of Rugby and it causes issues, also those that do try going to the Super ? in its initial hype could be lured to watch the Storm (even if it is after the Union season)?

Surandy

Bench
joshreading said:
What (if any) percentage of Storm fans would stop going to the Rugby League and start going to the Union?

Also how big is the HARDCORE fan base of the Storm?

I know quite a few Storm supporters, mostly New Zealanders, whose favorite sport is Union so it may well have some impact.

Personally I think that if the rumours are true of a revamp to the facilities at Olympic Park if Melbourne were to get a Union team would be good for the Storm. My argument is that at present a lot of people are turned off by the fairly ordinary facilities at OP. Thus improving the facilities may cause old fans to return and would help retain new fans. How many people are sick of going to get a drink at the start of half time only to miss the kick off for the second half because the caterers are so slow and there's no viewing facilities other than the big screen?

Where I sit in the western terrace you have the guys going around trying to sell food and drinks calling "hot pies, cold drinks" and everyone around me, and sometimes I join in, shout back "cold pies, hot drinks".

With regards to the core of support for Storm, well if this is measured by members then the core would be about 5,000 and has remained relatively constant for the last 4 years.

Surandy

Surandy said:
Where I sit in the western terrace you have the guys going around trying to sell food and drinks calling "hot pies, cold drinks" and everyone around me, and sometimes I join in, shout back "cold pies, hot drinks".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

being an eastern stand member i've never heard this but it's damn funny

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts