What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super league 2018

adamkungl

Immortal
Good night in the Gong last night!

Sat with the Hull fans, they were good fun, couldn't understand a word of what they were singing but they were singing it proudly. Seemed to be a party atmosphere in and around the ground. Good on the fans for travelling. Not so good on the Aussie fans for their showing, could have been more.

The game itself was very entertaining for 60 mins or so before fizzling out in the last 20. Even with the amount of drop ball there was some great end to end stuff, particularly from Wigan who should have put on a bit of a score with the dominance they displayed at times.
Wigan will be hard to beat this year and seem intent on playing an up tempo attacking game. Hull didn't deal with the occasion quite as well but should be up there still, did well to hold Wigan to 24.

On Cecchin - the Hull fans around me were bewildered at how often he went to the video. Told them it was standard Aussie reffing. As usual, did his best to dull the spectacle.

adamkungl

Immortal
Anyone watch this mornings game? Catalans v St Helens.

When Lomax opened the scoring after 55 seconds with a neat assist from Barba i thought it was gonna be a horrid outing for Catalans but to their credit they really dug in. St Helens struggled to crack their defence from that point but their professionalism, star players and amazing scramble defence did the job slowly but surely.

Catalans had all the grit and effort you want from a top team but unfortunately none of the shape or composure. Attacking in the redzone they just couldn't organise themselves or give their backs any space to work. Their 2 tries were from sheer persistence rather than slick ball movement. They had enough ball to win three games and were given extra opportunity when Knowles got sent for a pretty nasty spear tackle. Not sure what happened to Walsh and Langi but Bird and Albert aren't the answer either. Pretty poor selection of halves to choose from and Mead at the back isn't known for his playmaking ability. Gigot returning will provide some added spark but they still lack the star power necessary. The likes of Barba has more spark in his pinky toe than Catalans have across the entire park.

On Gigot: anyone know what the story here is? He was banned, then appealed successfully, then his appeal was appealed and banned again, and now he's appealed his appeals appeal. Surely this should have been done and dusted after the first appeal.

Evil Homer

Staff member
What were they saying?
https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...88249e24d40d3c72777?__twitter_impression=true

Someone on TRL reckoned they wrote most of it before the match kicked off.
On Gigot: anyone know what the story here is? He was banned, then appealed successfully, then his appeal was appealed and banned again, and now he's appealed his appeals appeal. Surely this should have been done and dusted after the first appeal.
Gigot's ban has been overturned. Just the French doping authorities being idiots, the French fans suspect it's an anti-RL thing which wouldn't be a surprise. As for the match, no point really trying to assess it because they're probably going to lose every game until they get a new coach.

adamkungl

Immortal
Gigot's ban has been overturned. Just the French doping authorities being idiots, the French fans suspect it's an anti-RL thing which wouldn't be a surprise. As for the match, no point really trying to assess it because they're probably going to lose every game until they get a new coach.

I know it's been overturned but that's happened before. How many times can an appeal be appealed? Are the Franch Anti Doping mob gonna come at him again?

Catalans obviously improved a lot from week 1 and looked better than most of last year. I think McNamara has them on the improve. Most of the ingredients are there but their halves are a huge problem. 54 year old Greg Bird isn't the answer and Luke Walsh has never been the answer. Need to get someone quality in to mentor Lucas Albert.

adamkungl

Immortal
That article from Fox is rubbish. Both of these teams will likely handle next weeks NRL opponents with ease.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I know it's been overturned but that's happened before. How many times can an appeal be appealed? Are the Franch Anti Doping mob gonna come at him again?

Catalans obviously improved a lot from week 1 and looked better than most of last year. I think McNamara has them on the improve. Most of the ingredients are there but their halves are a huge problem. 54 year old Greg Bird isn't the answer and Luke Walsh has never been the answer. Need to get someone quality in to mentor Lucas Albert.
No, I think Gigot is in the clear now. Not sure he's actually contracted with Catalans ATM, I think everyone just assumes he will be back there but I could definitely see Castleford making a move if he's available.

As for McNamara, he picked up two wins over Leigh last year but apart from that he's now lost 17 straight matches against SL opposition. I seriously don't think they will win a game with him in charge, although I will happily eat humble pie on that one.

deluded pom?

Coach
That article from Fox is rubbish. Both of these teams will likely handle next weeks NRL opponents with ease.
I think Hull will obviously have injury concerns and will be playing a few fringe players next week and I expect them to get beaten by SGI.

T-Boon

Coach
Given the number of fans that travelled it would be interesting to see how a world club nines in Sydney mid january would go.

Stallion

First Grade
Given the number of fans that travelled it would be interesting to see how a world club nines in Sydney mid january would go.

Fair call. As the public clearly do not want a bar of the rugby union sevens in Sydney or tens in Brisbane. I think Wigan v Hull individually outdrew both of these well publicised (by Fox) union tournaments ! I keep stating "You can't make something that's ugly pretty no matter how much make up they put on. Some will be fooled but not the genuine sports fan!"

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
So the two games I have watched of ESL I am picking up on the absolute zero attempt to play the ball with the foot. They just step over it. It is more like touch footy than League. Have they gone so far sa to change a rule in the ESL or what? It is totally blatant and they are all doing it.

I am not really sure how I feel about it.

AJB1102

First Grade
I thought it was a roulette wheel to go with the Betfred sponsorship

You might be right I only caught a quick look on one of the referrals.

Either way it depicts the video ref as a lottery. That along with Spec Savers being the ref sponsor. I got a chuckle.

deluded pom?

Coach
So the two games I have watched of ESL I am picking up on the absolute zero attempt to play the ball with the foot. They just step over it. It is more like touch footy than League. Have they gone so far sa to change a rule in the ESL or what? It is totally blatant and they are all doing it.

I get a similar impression watching the NRL. I believe this year the NRL refs are going to be policing the PTB more closely because of the lack of foot on the ball.

http://www.watoday.com.au/rugby-lea...ckdown-on-play-the-balls-20180210-h0vw3g.html

Stallion

First Grade

Yes. It was noticeable. I was counting the efforts of play the balls with the foot. On average about 2 per set of six. Some sets of six had no effort from the foot! I'm thinking its a fundamental rule which should be embraced and adhered to. I noted a try close to the line happened after a 'no foot' play the ball . Had the ref(Australian ref at that)dissallowed the try he would have made a statement to all and the consistent play the ball with foot rule would have prevailed.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Super League hasn't ever enforced the play the ball by the book in the few years i've been watching it. That said, the SL ruck is a shit load tidier than NRL. Attackers don't seem to fumble it as much and defenders don't seem to get limbs caught in it as much. I believe its mostly deliberate attempts to milk from both sides.

Also the NRL has had a another problem creep up in the last couple of years, players using the ball as leverage and playing the ball before standing. It results in far more ruck mistakes and should be penalised each and every time.

Harrigan

Juniors
Every few years they make a deal out of the PTB and the refs start the season pinging guys for the lack of foot usage... Then it drifts away again.

The way I look at it is that it doesn't really effect the game at all if the ball is placed on the ground and rolled backwards.

The actual rule these days is that the foot doesn't have to touch the ball though. You just have to make the effort to make it look like you have, which is stupid anyway

DynamicRabbit1

Juniors
Quick question hoping someone knows.. what’s the story with Joe Burgess not in starting side for Wigan?
Is he injured or dropped?