What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League Crowds 2012

Wilson1

Juniors
I think basically those attendances are massive understated. I don't see why anyone is surprised it is the same way every year.

deluded pom?

Coach
It seems the Brits have embraced the GF but not the playoff system. The constant chopping and changing doesn't help and the fact that teams with a record of more losses than wins qualifying for the playoffs doesn't help either.

fanatique

Juniors
It seems the Brits have embraced the GF but not the playoff system. The constant chopping and changing doesn't help and the fact that teams with a record of more losses than wins qualifying for the playoffs doesn't help either.

I think you are right about the chopping and changing.

Its also true that for the likes of Wigan or Leeds both of who failed to reach 10,000 at home the fact is that reaching the palyoffs is an annual event. it is no big deal. IN fact it would stun the rugby world if either of them or Saints failed to qualify. Its too samey.

pcpp

Juniors
The Brits seemed to embrace the playoffs when it was a Top 6 system.

I think the playoff system needs an overhaul, 8 out of 14 rewards mediocrity and the first week of finals really means nothing for the Top 4 teams since they are almost certainly in all likelihood to progress to Week 3 eventually anyway. My ideal system would be a Top 7:

Week 1:
2 v 7
3 v 6
4 v 5
Team 1 bye

Week 2:
1 v Lowest ranked winner
Highest ranked winner v 2nd highest ranked winner

Week 3:
Grand Final

Every game is sudden death. Minor premiers get a massive advantage (compare to current system where Top 4 get all get the same double chance), and 2nd, 3rd and 4th are rewarded with home finals, possibly 2 for the highest ranked winner.

fanatique

Juniors
The Brits seemed to embrace the playoffs when it was a Top 6 system.

I think the playoff system needs an overhaul, 8 out of 14 rewards mediocrity and the first week of finals really means nothing for the Top 4 teams since they are almost certainly in all likelihood to progress to Week 3 eventually anyway. My ideal system would be a Top 7:

Week 1:
2 v 7
3 v 6
4 v 5
Team 1 bye

Week 2:
1 v Lowest ranked winner
Highest ranked winner v 2nd highest ranked winner

Week 3:
Grand Final

Every game is sudden death. Minor premiers get a massive advantage (compare to current system where Top 4 get all get the same double chance), and 2nd, 3rd and 4th are rewarded with home finals, possibly 2 for the highest ranked winner.

Excellent suggestion.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Not fond of the toP 8 system in super league at all, its simply to watered down and pretty much guarantees the larger clubs will be their annually its no wonder fans dont turn up.

I think going back to a top 6 would be the way to go, to increase the quality of the post season

Also the club call was a step to far and has to go

On attendances in general this year, warrington and Hull FC have underacheived IMO, the rest not far off where expected

WireMan

Bench
On attendances in general this year, warrington and Hull FC have underacheived IMO, the rest not far off where expected

With regards to Warrington, the crowd is up so not sure why they have underachieved?

The only reason the crowds were not higher is the number of away fans has dropped this year. Onlt Saints have sold out the away end.

The playoffs are rubbish. Despite being hyped all over the place no one bothers or cares enough to watch it. All they have achieved is make the league one long pointless competition.

It should be a top three. 2nd vs 3rd in the semi and the first in the final. That or just scrap the whole thing. Top 8 is a total joke.

Gambass

Juniors
It should be a top three. 2nd vs 3rd in the semi and the first in the final. That or just scrap the whole thing. Top 8 is a total joke.

You're too football-centric. I'm sure that even in England, you have longer play off that works just fine (ice hockey, basketball ?)

Super League is a closed league, you can't simply have 75% of the teams having nothing to play for after 4 months.

fanatique

Juniors
You're too football-centric. I'm sure that even in England, you have longer play off that works just fine (ice hockey, basketball ?)

Super League is a closed league, you can't simply have 75% of the teams having nothing to play for after 4 months.

Fact is soccer has play offs as well only they are called European competition and are postponed to the next season but most soccer teams are playing for a Euro ( de facto play off ) place rather than to winthe EPL which can only be done by at most 3 teams.

I think the play offs do not work because frankly everyone expects the big 3 of Wigan/Saints/Leeds to be in the final 4 every year anyway and guess wht.....they are again.

Now that all the unconvincing build up has stopped and the Big clubs are about their business watch Wigan and Leeds draw a big crowd.

BODISGOD

Bench
The playoffs are rubbish. Despite being hyped all over the place no one bothers or cares enough to watch it. All they have achieved is make the league one long pointless competition.

Devalues the CC as well.

fanatique

Juniors
Devalues the CC as well.

The way the CC as been devalued is to my mind pure vandalism. What 20 or 30 years ago was one of the great finals in world sport never mind rugby is now so devalued partly because of the play offs which no one is interested in.

deluded pom?

Coach
The way the CC as been devalued is to my mind pure vandalism. What 20 or 30 years ago was one of the great finals in world sport never mind rugby is now so devalued partly because of the play offs which no one is interested in.

If the alleged plans to allow Championship clubs to become feeder clubs to SL teams materialises then the Challenge Cup will be devalued even more. They couldn't allow the chance that the parent club may draw their feeder team so possibly ten or more teams will have to drop out.

Big Sam

First Grade

I have a radical idea - why not a Top 4 mini league instead of the playoffs?

Top 4 from the regular season qualify. All 4 teams play each other once over 3 weeks. 1st place in the regular season plays every game at home, 2nd has 2 home games, 3rd 1 and 4th none. Top 2 teams after the 3 rounds play the Grand Final. It's the exact same length as the current playoffs.

fanatique

Juniors
If the alleged plans to allow Championship clubs to become feeder clubs to SL teams materialises then the Challenge Cup will be devalued even more. They couldn't allow the chance that the parent club may draw their feeder team so possibly ten or more teams will have to drop out.

If that step was taken the right thing to do would be scrap the competition in the way the old county cups were scrapped 20 years ago.

Latest posts