What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

superman jerseys

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
att souffs: do you have to copy EVERYTHING the storm do?

seriously.. must clubs sell out like this?

the jersey is sacred... club colours and the jersey are what drives the most passion out of fans..

why bastardise it?

BunniesMan

Immortal
I don't like it but as long as clubs are allowed to do it and you see other clubs doing it you understand your team getting it done to not give away any competitive advantage.

I'd like to see the NRL ban it. I'd also like the NRL to severely restrict jersey sponsorship but it'll never happen.

magpie4ever

First Grade

the jersey is sacred... club colours and the jersey are what drives the most passion out of fans..

why bastardise it?

Mate, that disappeared many years ago; take the "Sheepshagger" warriors - they have a new one every fortnight; about 20 in total.

Charlie124

First Grade

why bastardise it?

The rabbits have done this several times since Rusty took over and decided to use their jerseys to promote his shitty movies.

The superman jerseys must have superpower properties. However, Souths should at least be original. I read that wonder woman will be included in the next superman sequel.

DC_fan

Coach
It's called MONEY. Clubs will do just about anything to get more of it, while ever fans buy the merchandise clubs will continue to put out different style of jumpers.

Last night at ANZ the lineup to buy the Superman jumper was quite long. No I did not buy one.

thorson1987

Coach
And for muzbys first question, we will find out in a few years if a disgruntled employee goes to the NRL

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Meh... Superman. Last night Canberra forgot their secret weakness for wooden spoons.

That got me thinking though, is there other movies you would like to have seen other club wear for a laugh?

For example if Bob Fulton was coach of Manly 2003-4, Kill Bill might have been a good. Hangover 3 should have been Canberra this year. The Storm could have used the Ocean 13 in 2007. Sharks, Forty year old virgin.

Bengal

Juniors
I'd like to see the NRL ban it. I'd also like the NRL to severely restrict jersey sponsorship but it'll never happen.
I liked the jersey but nonetheless, the game has gone overboard on its use of different jersey designs. Likewise, given the big fat media payday the game has netted, it is disappointing that they couldn't use that money more wisely and pare back on the amount of sponsorship both on jerseys and on the field of play. It's overkill and detracts from the game as a spectacle.

Card Shark

Immortal
It's $ in the pocket, so good on Souths for doing it.

I noticed when they were warming up & took no more notice of it for the rest of the game. It's no big deal .

Jason Maher

Immortal
At least they just added a big S, instead of wearing a jersey that mimics the Man of Steel Superman costume like Melbourne did, or like the various abominations Canterbury have come out with.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I liked the jersey but nonetheless, the game has gone overboard on its use of different jersey designs. Likewise, given the big fat media payday the game has netted, it is disappointing that they couldn't use that money more wisely and pare back on the amount of sponsorship both on jerseys and on the field of play. It's overkill and detracts from the game as a spectacle.

I can't see how jerseys detract from the game as a spectacle but there is certainly overkill in the amount of jerseys teams wear. As I have said in the jersey thread, the most important brand on a jersey is the club colours and emblem. Clubs seem to forget that sponsors get on board because they are willing to be associated with the club, not the other way around.

As for superman and souffs, wasn't rusty Jar -el in the new series?

Big Sam

First Grade

why bastardise it?

Good point.

514933-jersey.jpg

Bengal

Juniors
I can't see how jerseys detract from the game as a spectacle but there is certainly overkill in the amount of jerseys teams wear.
Having players plastered in sponsorship lacks class in my book thus cheapens the sport overall. Reckon the main sponsor can't be too enthused with their brand having to compete with others now days also.

Likewise the football pitch - sponsor signage here, there and everywhere, its not a good look and again cheapens the game in my eyes. One big sponsor on the half way and sponsorships in the in-goal zones should be all that's allowed.

As I have said in the jersey thread, the most important brand on a jersey is the club colours and emblem. Clubs seem to forget that sponsors get on board because they are willing to be associated with the club, not the other way around.
Sponsors are their to drum up or maintain awareness. Association means jack if their end goals aren't met.

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
In a game where most teams struggle to break even financially, fans want to whinge about a strong revenue source that has about as much effect on the game as my lucky jocks.

Iafeta

Referee
Mate, that disappeared many years ago; take the "Sheepshagger" warriors - they have a new one every fortnight; about 20 in total.

The Warriors have to be creative to compete against the awesome marketability of the Victa Western Suburbs jerseys. I see them everywhere :sarcasm:

Bengal

Juniors
In a game where most teams struggle to break even financially, fans want to whinge about a strong revenue source that has about as much effect on the game as my lucky jocks.
Yep, it seems foolish to want to limit certain revenue avenues. That type of logic doesn't make a lot of sense. However, if we monetize every bit of space on a playing strip and every bit of free space on football field then how long before most folk think the sport has gone too far in pursuit of chasing a dollar! This is where we're heading. Myself, I think we've gone too far already while others may think similarly a little further down the line or never care about this at all.

If we have sponsors queuing up then we should be charging them more rather than going for everything we can get our hands on.