What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

superman jerseys

Bengal

Juniors
The Warriors have to be creative to compete against the awesome marketability of the Victa Western Suburbs jerseys. I see them everywhere :sarcasm:
The Victa sponsored jerseys are one of my all time favorites. Back when I was younger I was a huge Wests fan off the back of their kiwi-like strips and big, bold Victa branding.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Should be allowed to change socks, and socks only for special charity reasons.

Should start a list of all the 'extra' jerseys teams have put out over the last 10 years.. see which clubs have really been bad at it. And by extra I mean other than the NRL approved home/away strip..

Broncos -
Bulldogs -
Cowboys -
Dragons -
Eels -
Knights - 1988 Heritage, 1908 Rebels Heritage, 1997 Heritage, Aboriginal Jersey.
Panthers -
Rabbitohs -
Raiders -
Roosters -
Sea Eagles -
Sharks -
Storm -
Tigers -
Titans -
Warriors -

Newcastle Knights:

1908 'Rebels' Heritage Jersey

kgidswh8.png

1988 'Establishment' Heritage Jersey

00002175-image.jpg

1997 'Grand Final' Heritage Jersey
1564898.jpg

'Indigenous Round' Jersey

6a00e0097e4e68883301157138b3f1970c-300wi

Flapper

First Grade
I am a fan of Rugby League clubs making money. If this helps them survive, so be it.

BunniesMan

Immortal
In a game where most teams struggle to break even financially, fans want to whinge about a strong revenue source that has about as much effect on the game as my lucky jocks.
FFS we're earning double what we earned before this year from tv rights.

It's the equivalent of a bloke going from 50k a year to a 100k a year and still cutting out coupons to save yourself 50 cents.

If you limited teams to 2 jersey sponsor slots, after you take into consideration the extra money you'd get for those because sponsorship space suddenly becomes more valuable (supply and demand) you would hardly be any worse off. Add in doubling tv revenue and you still have much more money than you did in 2012. And you have a jersey that looks more like a footy jersey and less like a corporate billboard.

1908 'Rebels' Heritage Jersey

kgidswh8.png

I didn't realise Saints had signed one back off Newcastle. :D

All jokes aside, why didn't the NRL do a deal for the WHOLE league to have the "S" shield emblazoned on all teams across one weekend to do a massive promo for the movie and the code - MEN OF STEEL ... with a small portion of the extra coin going to MEN OF LEAGUE?

The AFL actually have Superman t-shirts in ALL AFL club colours too.

Last edited:

Mr Spock!

Referee
Not the first time Rusty's done this.

But the lol@souffs crowd have to have something to whinge about.

DC_fan

Coach
Serious question.

Apart from sales of the jersey, did souths get any money for it?

I would hope so. Not sure a team would advertise a product on their jumper and not receive something for it.

Souths did something similar a few years ago where they had the name of a Russell Crowe appearing on their jumper.

Mr Spock!

Referee
In March (2005 - sic), Souths life member Russell Crowe made the Rabbitohs the first club team in Australia to be sponsored by a film, when he negotiated a deal to advertise his movie Cinderella Man on their jerseys

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_South_Sydney_Rabbitohs

EmpireOnline.com.au reports that the NRL team South Sydney Rabbitohs, co-owned by hefty actor and poetry reader Russell Crowe, has announced a sponsorship deal with upcoming political thriller State of Play .

The State of Play logo will be embroidered onto the sleeves of the Rabbitoh's jerseys for the first 11 weeks of the 2009 season. The movie (which looks awesome, by the way) will hit cinemas on May 28.

http://www.fliks.com.au/news/state-of-play-sponsors-crowes-rabbitohs/

Funny thing was, was sat there in the rain before kick off with the Man of Steel signage (and had not seen the webpage or member emails) saying Souths / Russell would have been a great combo for a tie in.

Neck minnit...boys run out to warm up and an ad goes up for the jersey. LOL!

eozsmiles

Bench
If they are going to wear a superman strip then it would be better if it was just that - red strides, blue jumper, big gold "S" on the front. That would be cool.

Just smudging a letter (or anything) on the front of the regular jumper is a bit silly. But it's a bit of fun and makes some dollars. When they design a whole new jumper for indigenous round, WIL, etc then it is more worthwhile IMO. It's a point of difference for the fans who like collecting jerseys.

At the end of the day, there is nothing to complain about. If you like the different jumpers then that's cool. If you don't, suck it up. It's just a jumper. No point sooking about other peoples fun.

Swarzey

Bench
I don't like it but as long as clubs are allowed to do it and you see other clubs doing it you understand your team getting it done to not give away any competitive advantage.

I'd like to see the NRL ban it. I'd also like the NRL to severely restrict jersey sponsorship but it'll never happen.

I'm fine with seeing the occasional special jersey for promotion but I do agree the NRL should restrict jersey sponsorship. A major sponsor on the front and one the back. Some have two on the front, two on the back and one on each sleeve. It really ruins the jersey IMO.

thorson1987

Coach
I'm fine with seeing the occasional special jersey for promotion but I do agree the NRL should restrict jersey sponsorship. A major sponsor on the front and one the back. Some have two on the front, two on the back and one on each sleeve. It really ruins the jersey IMO.

1 front, 1 back and 1 on the sleeves would be enough.

Loudstrat

Coach
F*ck me, I thought Souths joined Super League.

Lets be fair dinkum. Rusty found the secret jerseys George Piggins and John Ribot designed over a session on George's home brew. Proves that Piggins was secretly in the loop with Rupert.

Teddyboy

First Grade
att souffs: do you have to copy EVERYTHING the storm do?

seriously.. must clubs sell out like this?

the jersey is sacred... club colours and the jersey are what drives the most passion out of fans..

why bastardise it?

Most Rugby League and Union jersey's have been bastardise for the past 8 years and it's vry sad when you compare it with Soccer and the North American Sport's.
i haven't bought a new jersey since 2004 and won't until the get away from the ultra tight round neck Soccer/Cycling style tops.

Mind you the British Lions jersey is back to the old school with it's v-neck and collar and it's fitted but got a bit bag to it so let's hope other club's and countries will follow as sales must be down a hell of a lot between the both codes.

Lambretta

First Grade
Meh... Superman. Last night Canberra forgot their secret weakness for wooden spoons.

That got me thinking though, is there other movies you would like to have seen other club wear for a laugh?

For example if Bob Fulton was coach of Manly 2003-4, Kill Bill might have been a good. Hangover 3 should have been Canberra this year. The Storm could have used the Ocean 13 in 2007. Sharks, Forty year old virgin.

Broncos - The Third Man (in)
Raiders - Raiders of the Lost Ark or Hangover 3
Bulldogs - The 400 blows
Sharks - 40 year old virgin
Titans - Sin City
Sea Eagles - To Kill a Mockingbird
Storm - For a few dollars more
Knights - Dark Knight Rises (or Monty Python and the Holy Grail)
Cowboys - Brokeback Mountain
Eels - Twelve Monkeys (and Jaryd Hayne) or Apocalypse Now
Panthers - Once upon a time in the West
Rabbitohs - The Green Mile or Forrest Gump
Saints - How to train your Dragon or Downfall
Roosters - Million Dollar Baby
Warriors - 12 Angry Men (and a Beast)
Tigers - The Good, the bad and the ugly

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Broncos - The Third Man (in)
Raiders - Raiders of the Lost Ark or Hangover 3
Bulldogs - The 400 blows
Sharks - 40 year old virgin
Titans - Sin City
Sea Eagles - To Kill a Mockingbird
Storm - For a few dollars more
Knights - Dark Knight Rises (or Monty Python and the Holy Grail)
Cowboys - Brokeback Mountain
Eels - Twelve Monkeys (and Jaryd Hayne) or Apocalypse Now
Panthers - Once upon a time in the West
Rabbitohs - The Green Mile or Forrest Gump
Saints - How to train your Dragon or Downfall
Roosters - Million Dollar Baby
Warriors - 12 Angry Men (and a Beast)
Tigers - The Good, the bad and the ugly

Haha very good :)

chrisD

Coach
I would support tyrannical limitations on jersey design/changes/sponsorship by the NRL.

That said, this superman jersey was kind of cool.

***MH***

Bench
All the top teams had and "S" on their chest in 1997. It's about time South Sydney joined the fold.