What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

supplement advice

Alehana

Juniors
been working out for about a year now, and i have decided to try some supplements, i did a bit of research and found out that personally i need a pre work out supplement, as i start early in the morning and motivation can be an issue i found black powder, USP jack3d and gaspari superpump, a protein shake compsoed of mainly whey so optimum serious mass, as i read it helps in recovery, and i decided to either go with animal stak or optimum nutrition as a growth hormone/ nutritional drink

my workout composes of running/cycling to the gym- which is just over 4km away, followed by a workout, which i focus mainly on building strength and loosing unnecessary weigth rather than looking to get big, altho i dont mind if its a 'side effect' of my workout, then run or cycle home,

with this combination of cardio and weight training be suitable for the supplements i'm looking at? any advice would be awesome.

cheers

The Joker

Juniors
whey protein
multi-V
flaxseed oil
fish oil
Jack3d

These are the staple supplements I use along with creatine but that's more for assisting muscle mass. There's other stuff you could use like BCAAs, dextrose PWO, l-glutamine etc but they are not really necessary and the results are negligible compared to the cost. Just make sure you're eating well before your workout so you have the energy to do everything you need to and a good post workout shake with why protein and a simple carb like fruit for the insulin spike.

I've found that if you use Jack3d constantly before your workout its affect wears off as your body gets use to it. It's better to use it when you don't feel like training or cycle off it for a few weeks before using it again.

Gallus Gallus

Juniors
If your looking to put on muscle mass, nutrition is paramount. Your diet must consist of high carb, high protein and high calories. You must eat 4-6 meals a day to feed your muscles. Try optimum serious mass and have 2- 3 shakes a day (preferably between meals and post-workout) only have half servings though as it is a very large serving size. Up your workout intensity for 2-3 weeks, lift heavy i.e 5 sets of 5 and focus on your compound lifts, i.e deadlifts, bench press, squats, military press, chin ups, modified olympic lifts ect. No explode is a good pre workout if you can stomach it, but dont over do it, as it can mess with your body. Follow this plan and u will notice results in a month.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
Please ignore Gallus Gallus...hes completely ignored your goals.

BCAA and Whey are a must!

A good quality BCAA and Whey protein is all you need. Stay away from this crap No-explode rubbish and Opt Nutrition is a rort, with poor quality protein! Sadly alot of people with only a limited knowledge of supplements get roped into their marketing. Ive been there and done it myself..certainly gave myself a slap for it after I got through my first bag and learnt the game.

Look up Protein Direct. Whey straight from the factory, nothing added except favouring, if you go that way. Top price and top product.

BCAA are a must if you train early! Have before training, or whack them in your water and drink em while you are working out. Id get the flavoured kind first up, because the natural can be a scary thing and some cant keep it down. But again its a MUST

Id also get a good multi and salmon tablets for general well being.

I wont touch this subject too much as we arent talking this side of thing. But Id certainly look at GIANT SETS as a good form of training for what you are wanting to achieve. But maybe go more indepth later.

Alehana

Juniors
thanks for all the advice, much appreciated,
i am looking to build strength and endurance rather than pure muscle mass like the turbos down at the beach, i've got a good fitness base which helps alot, however its still early days and i've got a long way to go,

i see your point about bcaas and protein and it seems like a good alternative, would bcaa's cover for pre workout supplements that get you motivated and amped?

as for training i do super sets, and do 12 reps of 5 sets, mainly focusing on large muscle groups like chest, arms, shoulders, legs, core, back. i have a few types of super sets that i mix up to keep it fresh each session.

The 18th Man

Juniors
Whats your diet like?

Improve your diet before worrying about supplements. All the supplements won't help if your core diet is poor. Trust me.

Alehana

Juniors
well my sis and mother are nutritionists, so i've grown up eating pretty well, lots of carbs, protein and fruit and veg, they dont have a diet plan for me, but they've taught me how to eat well,

Cavin

Juniors
I am not in favour of the supplements for the exercise or pre workout supplement for the strength.
I advise you for the natural things for the workout like honey and milk for the strength. Try to improve
your diet for healthy nutritions.

Latest posts