What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suppliments when starting.

Rebel

First Grade
Im about 10-12 kgs overweight and really want to lose some fat and gain some muscle.
I have signed up to a gym, got a personal trainer, nutritionist etc so I have started to do everything right on paper (just need to put everything in practise!)

My questions is, is it advisable to take muscle gaining supplements when you are trying to lose fat also? I have heard that they should only be used when you are trying to gain mass and since I want to get rid of some fat also, Im not sure if I should start with them.

Thoughts? And any advise as to what type of supplements may be good?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
As a beginner your body is going to give you all the supplements you need. It will work overtime in getting stronger. That said using a little bit of protein powder isn't going to make you fatter and might help you towards your overall goal but its going to be a lot cheaper just to get your protein from food.

I'd just focus on eating right, sleeping right and lifting hard in that order in the short term. Give yourself a few months and revisit this later. The only supplements that work A LOT better than just eating right are the naughty ones. Like starting a cycle of Clenbutherol but don't do that because your heart might go all funny.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Also just out of interest what has your personal trainer got you doing because a lot of them push really weird and esoteric stuff just to act like what they do is tricky.

So a lot of personal trainers are useless is what I am saying.

Rebel

First Grade
Right. So In summary, work out hard with a mix or cardio and weights, diet, and revisit the possibly of supplements in a few months.

I think thats probably the best option :)

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Your first results will just come from learning to use your nervous system. Which I think is crazy interesting. A lot of the strength you will first gain you always had just didn't know how to access. So thats why beginners get pretty good results first up.

Here is a handy abstract on it

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3057313

Its why everyone really should be doing strength training.

shaggs

Coach
I agree with everything Pete had said.

I wish I knew 10 years ago when I had the time to train more what I knew now

So many hours and money wasted on bad advice and useless supps.

Train hard with weights, throw in some cardio, some flexibility work, but most importantly, make the lifestyle choice of improving your diet.

Diet is king. You can't outrun a bad diet, just like you can't grow if you don't eat right.

Last edited:

Rebel

First Grade
Also just out of interest what has your personal trainer got you doing because a lot of them push really weird and esoteric stuff just to act like what they do is tricky.

So a lot of personal trainers are useless is what I am saying.

Basically he is going through a range of different excersises and theres alot of educating going on.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I reckon using protein powder is useful, as it enables you to get the optimal amount of protein in a quick, convenient form without too many additional calories. I'd also argue that it's actually pretty cheap as long as you stick to basic no frills whey concentrate (WPC) avoid all the fancy supps with added magic ingredients, they're a rort and won't make any difference compared to the basic stuff. Avoid buying from places like GNC too, WAY overpriced. The only other supplement I'd use initially is fish oil capsules which are good for general health. Creatine and BCAAs are definitely useful too, but thats something you'd want to look at a bit further down the track rather than as a beginner.

Snoochies

First Grade
I strongly suggest to head to the nutrition thread and look up the website I recently posted. I am guessing you have a new years reso and have a ton of will power but please read this site, it will help. Would paste it for you but am on a phone so no idea how to. :)

Rebel

First Grade
Thanks for the advice guys. Im doing ok at present. have dropped a kilo and am mixing my workouts wih a combo of cardio (sprints) and weights with a focus on cardio (as my prime goal is to lose weight.

Food the only kicker though. Its sooooo hard to knock out those cravings!

GB!

Juniors
Hi All

i just started working out again a week ago after about 16/17 months off (dislocated shoulder, then surgery).

a mate has got me on to a few supplements - just wanted to see if anyone else had tried them and what did they think?
i tried this one pre-workout pill called FUBAR, took one pill as he directed me, did nothing. i took two and felt a mild energy increase. he recckons 1 get him flying!

he also got me to try these energy supplements called silver doves, again 1 didn't do anythng for me but kept my mate 'alert' for ages... said he crashed once it wore off!

and getting some stuff called thermo burn, anyone tried that?

cheers

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Hey GB,

I'm halfway through a tub of pre-trainer called "Craze". Definitely has you "focused" and keen for a good workout. Plenty of 'energy' throughout and after. As with most of these supplements they have caffeine in them and to take them late in the arvo can have an adverse effect on some people's sleep. Also using a creatine product called 'con crete' in conjunction. Like them both.