What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Supporters Club

Just wondering if my fellow Jets fans think that it might be a good idea if we set up a supporters club? Based on the success of the trip to Canberra and the St George game where we all sat together, made a mess and cheered the boys home in one group, I reckon that we should make it a regular event at away games next year.
Plus there maybe some use if we the supports of the Jets can go to the club as a single voice and say this is the direction we want the club to go. Rather than just people voiceing their opinions one at a time.
I've thought of a name as well. The "Jets Independant Supporters Movement" as a name sums up what we are all about.

Anyone else think that it is a good idea and willing to join? I've no idea about how to start a supporters club or what would be involved but I'm willing to give it a bash, all in the name of the Mighty Bluebags!

Cheers.

Jeffles

Bench
There is no 'a' in independent.:p

Newtown used to have a supporters club in the 1990s but it fizzled. I undertsand they gave out an award at the presentation night.

Manfred Moore

Juniors
Mate ive been an avid reader of the forum for years now but thats such a good idea ive decided to join into the fun and have my say.

Long live the mitey bluebags!!!

Ive often felt very alone at away games particularly this year at shark park (supposed home game pffft get me to henson!!!)

Manfred Moore

Juniors
BTW the atmosphere created at those last two games at SFS and Telstra tell you how good it is when the jest fans are organised and sit together.

(Beating those dragons and the camraderie afterwards is up there with any recent great jet memories)

Jeffles said:
There is no 'a' in independent.:p

Thanks for that Jeffles, looks like I've gone to the Fanny Batter school of English!!!

So are you keen on joining up? Your last post didn't really say...

The Supporters Club (good people one and all) voted to dissolve itself a few years back to keep from dividing the club / supporters' efforts.

Some of the folks got more active with the running of the club / game day work, others limited their involvement to flying the Jets flag at home and away games.

I would say a seperate entity isn't needed. Maybe all it would take is just an avid supporter to act as a designated liason person - working with the club and organising the fan activities / transport /seating etc. for home and especially away game days.

Jeffles

Bench
I don't know how "independent" I would be but I love to sit and cheer for the Jets on away games (when permitted).

I guess the club is a lot bigger now than it was before. There are people that want to get involved and you can't just put any old sod on the board because you like them. Maybe there is room for a fan club.

The politics of it all I am not sure about. As this forum has established, it is not productive to divide. That's not to say that opinions and feedback are not welcome. I like the idea of a fans liason.

HPH elaborate more on your idea.

Excellent idea ,HPH, I felt most alone surrounded by thousands of Newcastle rednecks when the Jets came up to Energy Australia stadium and Gosford to play the knights this year.
I hate to bring up a negative point at this early stage,but the acronym of Jets Independent Supporters Movement is JISM.
Thats not gonna sound too good when opposition supporters say " look,those seats have jism all over them!"
Just a thought or have I got it wrong?

bucks1972

Juniors
I think that the supporters club is a SENSATIONAL idea!

I have been a Jets for all my life and having 2 young kids it has been awesome to see them develop a love for the Jets. My 4yo daughter sings the Newtown theme song every night in the bath and my 2yo sons chants NEW-TOWN everywhere he goes! I took both the kids to all the Home game this year and travelled to most of the away games myself. However, took both the kids to each Semi-Final and they loved every minute of having all diehard Jets fans in one location making a lot of noise. Lets make this happen and give the boys the support they deserve!

greg

Juniors
Two new names on the forum! Welcome Manfred Moore and Bucks1972. We have more contributors now than some NRL team forums. Good to see.

westie

Bench
colcaseysheadband said:
Excellent idea ,HPH, I felt most alone surrounded by thousands of Newcastle rednecks when the Jets came up to Energy Australia stadium and Gosford to play the knights this year.
I hate to bring up a negative point at this early stage,but the acronym of Jets Independent Supporters Movement is JISM.
Thats not gonna sound too good when opposition supporters say " look,those seats have jism all over them!"

:lol:

colcaseysheadband said:

Could possibly work if Seimens was a major sponsor.

Jeffles

Bench
Maybe HPH had JISM in mind when thinking of the name.

The merchandise opportunities are endless.

Trucker caps saying "I've got JISM on my mind"

Shot glasses "I swallow for the JISM"

Ladies T-Shirts "I wear JISM on my chest"

Face masks??

Imagine Rabs Warren calling the finals series....

"the stands are overflowing with jism!"

"...and some jism has spilled onto the field!"

bluebag43

Juniors
I think it would be GREAT to have an organised group for away games. It would not be surprisng for it to grow quite big given the fun and excitement we all had being with a passionate group of Newtown fans in the semi finals series. I say bring it on! I'll be there and I will bring along as many other fans that I can muster.

I actually co-ordinated the former Supporters Club that was mentioned and it had about 120 members.

Good to hear a lot of support for the idea.

Before I start, yes I was wondering which clever person would pick up on the JISM name!

Basically I just thought that as the club gets bigger and the more fans we get going to away games we should start organising ourselves so that we can sit/stand together and cheers the boys on. As we showed at the Saints semi at the SFS we can make a differance to the team.

Also, it might be good to for the fans to a unified single voice, so that in dealings with the club we can say that the members of the supporters club think that the club should be doing this or that to move the club forward.

Jeffles, they were the two main ideas for the formation of the supporters club.

As for the "politics" of it all within the club, I'm not sure how who/what/where/why etc however if it's done correctly I feel that it can not only benefit the Jets fans but also whole of the Newtown club.

Finally any other suggestions for the name?

Henson

Juniors
JISM is a bit hard to swallow,but i think the fan club is a great idea HPH,maybe a meeting at the HPH is needed to get the balls rolling for JISM!