What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sutton hoping to stay with Souths

spacer.gif

Wednesday, 16 February 2011:

South Sydney playmaker John Sutton wants to stay a Rabbitoh for life, but recognises salary cap issues at the star-studded NRL club could spike that ambition.

The gifted five-eighth comes off contract at the end of the coming season, as does halves partner Chris Sandow.

With superstar back Greg Inglis coming on board this year and the likes of Great Britain forward Sam Burgess also commanding considerable coin, there is no guarantee Souths will be able to keep all their longer-standing players like Sutton.

A local boy, Sutton is the longest serving back at the club, having made his first grade debut in 2004.

"I'd love to stay at Souths, but the way things are with the cap these days it's pretty hard to stay a one-club man," Sutton told reporters on Wednesday.

However, he wasn't fearful of being overlooked for a decent deal at the Rabbitohs.

"I'm not really worried about that, I know if I keep playing good football, things will go my way and that's what I'm aiming for," Sutton said.

A City Origin representative, Sutton is striving to add an element of consistency that will sway NSW Origin selectors in his direction.

"I've been a little bit inconsistent over the last couple of years, so that's probably been my downfall," Sutton said.

"Hopefully I'm just playing consistent, good footy for Souths and hopefully get some luck."

The Rabbitohs stalwart acknowledged he had at least one formidable rival ahead of him in the pecking order for the Blues Origin five-eighth jersey.

"Definitely Todd Carney, seeing he was Dally M player of the year last year, he had a tremendous year, he's probably going to get first look," Sutton said.

He was adamant he didn't feel under any extra pressure to deliver, with Souths considered one of the major premiership threats and himself coming off contract.

"It's pretty much the same as last year, we got talked up last year as well, but the only way you get to play finals footy is you win matches," Sutton said.

"So hopefully we just win more matches than we lose and we get there.

"I'm probably feeling fitter and stronger than I have the last couple of years, seeing that I had that neck operation last year.

"I'm confident in what I can do out on the field and I'm just going to back myself."

Tried occasionally at lock, Sutton was adamant he wanted to be a fulltime five-eighth, though coach John Lang was looking to give Sandow more of the playmaking responsibilities.

"I reckon he (Sandow) is going to get probably more ball than he usually gets and hopefully take a bit off pressure off me," Sutton said.

Meanwhile, Souths will welcome back David Taylor and Nathan Merritt when they take on the Gold Coast in Coffs Harbour this Saturday - but Lang is still missing some big names.

There is no sight of major off-season signing Inglis or Sam Burgess, Issac Luke or veterans Luke Stuart and Michael Crocker.

"We've just got to keep improving and hopefully we get some combinations going and come out firing by round one," Sutton added.

http://www.racingandsports.com.au/s...00973&story=Sutton_hoping_to_stay_with_Souths

boo_boo

Juniors
The signing of Greg Ingliss will see many players leave the club as his payments will be increased every year & we cant keep everyone.
One man doesn't make a team so i just hope that in some way the decision to sign Ingliss will benefit the club on the field & make us a more competitive team.

Honkiest_Honky

Juniors

spacer.gif

"Hopefully I'm just playing consistent, good footy for Souths and hopefully get some luck."

The harder you train John the luckier you will be. I would start with kicking a rugby league football at least an hour a day outside of normal practice everyday, actually you should of been doing this after mad monday, watching the charity shield it appeared that you haven't practised kicking a ball at all.

Reading between the lines our owners boast on Leno has cost us heaps, at least a centre and a few lesser players.

rabbs

Juniors
Sutton is too inconsistant,only averages one good game in every five.He had better pull his finger out this year.

DC_fan

Coach
For me, whether Souths even try to re-sign Sutton depends a lot on how Matt Mundine performs this season.

Mundine has a lot of work to do with his fitness and his game before Souths could even consider him for 1st grade. But miracles do happen and if one happens with Mundine then Souths maynot see a reason to keep Sutton.

Galeforce

Bench
I think the sequence of contract negotion closure should be
1) Luke
2) Sandow
3) Merritt
4) Lowe
5) Sutton
Wesser and Stuart end this year and gone . Crocker , we should sell his 2012 contract ( even at loss ) regardless of how well he goes. We need to free up salary cap.
Luke and Sandow both young and coming into their primes. Sutton , if he has a good year in 2011 , will command too much money and will not be good value for his possible his last 3 year contract.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Personally, I'd like to see him retained, but I hope to see better from him in 2011.

The Bunnies' depth in the halves is so poor that I don't think cutting experienced players from those positions is overly desireable.

Last year, Sutton got injured and Capewell was used. This year, Capewell is gone. The back up is either Inglis or a debutant.

Galeforce

Bench
i agree , the last couple of years , i believe we have missed finals , due to injuries to Sutton. Saying that , however , Sutton is getting older (27 next year) and he would need a stellar year to justify continuation of big money from souths.the club should leave his contract for last , any time after we have a confirmed place in grand final. let him justify it in 2011.
meantime time for Mundine to step up this year and show he is real replacement for sutton.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Souths had a hard time keeping anyone before John Sutton re-signed last time. I think Souths should show him some faith and loyalty as he has shown them.

BranVan3000

Coach
Sutton needs a 1-2 extension, frankly he's at his best when he has something to play for (like his contract/position)

1MTDaz

Juniors
Any one know wot this is all about??? The Isaac Luke thing?? Found this posted in a forum in NZ

Isaac Luke will resign in the near future.
John Sutton will be let go at the end of the year and....
Wayne Bennett will coach the Bunnies next year.

hunters

Juniors
Any one know wot this is all about??? The Isaac Luke thing?? Found this posted in a forum in NZ

Isaac Luke will resign in the near future.
John Sutton will be let go at the end of the year and....
Wayne Bennett will coach the Bunnies next year.
Pretty sure it's meant to be taken as "Isaac Luke will re-sign in the near future"

hennessy

Juniors
I am fed up hearing things like how good Sutton is and just you wait he will come good soon - he has great potential. We have been waiting for a few seasons and I could count his good games on one hand. So far in the pre season he has shown very little.

BranVan3000

Coach
Sutton still needs his forwards to fire, no playmaker in the world could be at their best if the forward pack isn't doing their job. He looked red hot last year before our injuries struck

Galeforce

Bench
given sutton is coming back from injury , i would expect him to take it easy and get his playing and timing confidence back during preseason. i will continue save any positive criticism back until season proper.

Stagger Lee

Bench
I so hope Souths sign sutton to a very long contract. Then Sign Sandow for even longer, they entertain other NRL teams like no others. :)

Last edited:

hunters

Juniors
I so hope Souths sign sutton to a very long contract. Then Sign Sandow for even longer, they entertain other NRL teams like no others. :)
Hard to imagine the need to edit a post that lacks anything. Unless you chose to delete thought.