What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swans-Giants Battle of the Bridge contest to span the city

Dresden Dan

Juniors
Important that Sydney's biggest derby fixture now has a marketable clash name. Playing at Easter show time is a good sign they are starting to think properly about timing & crowds.

Swans-Giants contest to span the city

Date February 3, 2013 Adrian Proszenko

MATCHES between AFL rivals Sydney and Greater Western Sydney are about to be officially known as the Battle of the Bridge. We can reveal the tag line, which was first coined by Giants coach Kevin Sheedy, has been approved by the league and will be used for marketing purposes before their Easter Saturday clash on March 30. The fixture will be played at the new twilight time of 4.40pm at ANZ Stadium, a day after the NRL blockbuster between the Bulldogs and the Rabbitohs. Sheedy is keen for the rivalry to develop into the biggest one in Australian sport, even bigger than the traditional feud between Collingwood and Carlton. The Battle of the Bridge concept refers more to the Anzac Bridge than the Harbour Bridge, with the landmark providing battle lines for supporters of the respective teams. ''We're expecting to make an announcement soon as we approach the lead-up to the game,'' a GWS spokesperson said. The gulf between the sides is huge, with the Swans taking out the premiership and the Giants the wooden spoon in their debut season. However, Sheedy is hoping his idea will help cement an enduring rivalry.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/swansgiants-contest-to-span-the-city-20130202-2drab.html

LESStar58

Referee
So they are calling it the Battle of The Bridge this year? I thought that's what they were calling it that last year.

More ANZAC Bridge than Harbor Bridge? LOL. What's on the other side of the ANZAC Bridge? Balmain and Leichardt. How do they expect to win the hearts and minds of Blacktown, Rooty Hill et all in millionaires row!

Big Sam

First Grade
They started at Blacktown, moved to Breakfast Point, and are now using a Glebe landmark to market themselves :lol:

'Greater' Western Sydney my arse...

Flapper

First Grade
Its almost as if the AFL want everyone to know that they have literally no idea about Sydney :lol:

The Great Dane

First Grade
"Sheedy is keen for the rivalry to develop into the biggest one in Australian sport, even bigger than the traditional feud between Collingwood and Carlton."

It might develop into a bigger rivalry then Collingwood vs Carlton, but it will never be bigger then the biggest rivalry in Australian sport, NSW vs Queensland State of Origin, and anybody that thinks that the SOO isn't the biggest rivalry in Australian sport is a stupid moron.

AuckMel

Bench
Why the f**k doesn't Deadbeat Dan post this in the AFL forum?

No one gives a f**k Dan.

Good point. The great pity of this section is, alleged fans of Aussie Rules spend more time in TFC than actually promoting the game in the right sub-forum.

Munro_Mick

Juniors
Good point. The great pity of this section is, alleged fans of Aussie Rules spend more time in TFC than actually promoting the game in the right sub-forum.

I wouldn't have thought 'promoting' the game is nearly the point as ensuring that somewhere called 'The fight club' actually had a fight put up rather than a one sided @h!tting contest.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't have thought 'promoting' the game is nearly the point as ensuring that somewhere called 'The fight club' actually had a fight put up rather than a one sided @h!tting contest.

in English please

Pete Cash

Post Whore
It always makes me laugh the battle of the bridge. Shows how dumb the afl is. I can see the Anzac bridge from my balcony and I don't live in the gws region

Diesel

Referee
I'm pretty sure I used to be able to see the ANZAC Bridge from Pyrmont. HQ in Melbourne wouldn't know the difference from Pyrmont to Parra or Penrith

In-goal

Bench
"Sheedy is keen for the rivalry to develop into the biggest one in Australian sport, even bigger than the traditional feud between Collingwood and Carlton."

It might develop into a bigger rivalry then Collingwood vs Carlton, but it will never be bigger then the biggest rivalry in Australian sport, NSW vs Queensland State of Origin, and anybody that thinks that the SOO isn't the biggest rivalry in Australian sport is a stupid moron.

Is that a double negative? Aka gay homosexual? If so, I'm tipping a large number of Australians would argue your point.

Haffa

Is that a double negative? Aka gay homosexual? If so, I'm tipping a large number of Australians would argue your point.
I remember when you used to pretend to be a sharks fan. Ahhh they were the days...:lol:

Latest posts