What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swimming/breathing tips

God-King Dean

Immortal
Just got a 6 month pass to the pools & gonna start swimming regularly. Gonna start swimming with head submerged. Whenever I try this, I stuggle big time. Completely throws me off.

I'm wondering what the proper technique is for breathing, lifting my head to side etc.

(I'm looking at you Twizzle)

adamkungl

Immortal
I've never been much good at it...I could also use pointers here. I turn my head and take a breath every second stroke of my left arm, but i can never seem to get enough breath to last very long

Chook Norris

First Grade
I was a state swimmer a few years ago before i quit swimming.

technique? There is no technique.

Stroke Stroke Stroke gulp/gasp *repeat action* :sarcasm:

From what i remember, the key to swimming is balance. Perhaps its best to first get your legs pumping strongly and your arms correctly stroking.

By this, i mean doing these two separately. Kicking laps up and down the pool with board only and then using a pool buoy [tuck in between legs] and practicing your strokes. After you've mastered this should you then combine.

Of course you can completely disregard what i've said; tis just what i think.

Last edited:

Chook Norris

First Grade
You breath out the nose right?

yer, that'd be right. Breath out of the nose while you're facing downwards in the water. Try to remain relaxed if you're not. Swimming shouldn't be an erratic struggle in the water, everything should really be constant; even when you pause to breath, it shouldn't disrupt the momentum and pace you are swimming at too much.

I just find when I do it I'm not getting enough air when I breath in.
Just comes with a lot of practice i guess. How are you breathing though? What i do when i breath is rest my head on my arm (the bit close to the shoulder)

I'm not quite the expert in explaining as you can see :D

Last edited:

Dutchy

Immortal
Its not a straight lift to the side, roll your head onto the arm out in front, the one that just finished the stroke obviously. Looking towards your left side if your head is on the right arm or vice versa.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
You breath out the nose right?

I just find when I do it I'm not getting enough air when I breath in.

doesn't really matter how you breathe out, I breath out both nose and mouth

If you are having trouble with your breathing I suggest slowing it right down and slowly ramp it up till you get the hang of it, then you do it without thinking, may take some time though

whether you breathe to the left or right doesn't really matter, some people breather both sides

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I've never been much good at it...I could also use pointers here. I turn my head and take a breath every second stroke of my left arm, but i can never seem to get enough breath to last very long

take a breath every stroke not every second stroke, how long it it "lasts" depends on how fit you are

El Diablo

Post Whore
Just got a 6 month pass to the pools & gonna start swimming regularly. Gonna start swimming with head submerged. Whenever I try this, I stuggle big time. Completely throws me off.

I'm wondering what the proper technique is for breathing, lifting my head to side etc.

(I'm looking at you Twizzle)

lift head out of water before breathing

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
My two bobs worth on swimming.

Its a very good non impact way to stay fit, helps me enormously with my cricket and golf. My knees are wrecked from heaps of road running so I gave up jogging and got into swimming for fitness and never looked back. Mind you I also gym and play alot of sport and surf which also helps.

I do about 8ks a week.

I take it easy on Monday and build up to the longer distance by the end of the week.

Also vary the strokes as mush as you can, it works different muscles.

Sir Biffo

Bench
A few pointers:

1. Make sure you get rid of ALL the air while your head is submerged. It makes it waaay easier to get air in if your lungs are empty.
2. You need to learn to feel balanced in the water. Work on your core strength and don't try to fight the water by thrashing everywhere. Maybe use a pull buoy in your program, it helps to keep your body straight. A lot of beginners let their hips sink.
3. I know it sounds embarrassing but I'd highly reccomend investing in just a few lessons, or have someone who knows a fair bit about swimming come and watch you. The gains you'll make in a few lessons will stop you from re-enforcing bad habits.
4. Wear sluggos.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
for those who dont know, this is a pull buoy

7530007_628.jpg

you put it between your legs and it keep your legs afloat, while you work on the top half of your body

generally you would use it to do say half or a quarter of your work out, then use flippers for say half or a quarter depending on what strokes you're doing, which then works on your legs, bum and abs

Ridders

Coach
I've always followed the "breath every 3rd stroke" rule, but it's never worked for me. Always seem to be lacking in air.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Did a short swim today. Slowly getting better. I go for air on the 3rd stroke. My main trouble seems to be whenever my rythm gets thrown off I struggle to get back in it. Also need to work on my kicking. Sometimes I barely kicking focusing so much on the strokes so much.

Didgi

I was taught to breathe on both sides, every three strokes. So left/right/leftbreathe/right/left/rightbreathe. The important bit is to breathe on the side. Doing PE this year a group of us were breathing ahead, which raises the chest and greatly increases drag. A bit of help from a professional swimming coach got us back on track fairly quickly.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Did a short swim today. Slowly getting better. I go for air on the 3rd stroke. My main trouble seems to be whenever my rythm gets thrown off I struggle to get back in it. Also need to work on my kicking. Sometimes I barely kicking focusing so much on the strokes so much.

keep going, it will become easier then you wont even have to think about it and you can concentrate on other things like your stroke or your kicking

JoeD

First Grade
18 months ago i decided i wanted to do a half triathlon even though i struggled to do a couple of laps of the pool. I thought my technique was sound and i was reasonably fit but i still ran out of air very quickly. I found out i was trying to swim too fast. Once i slowed right down to a walking/jogging pace i discovered I could basically just keep swimming for as long as i wanted. So my advice : try and swim as slowly as you can without sinking.

Also on breathing i basically leave my mouth open the whole time so breathe out with my mouth and breath every stroke but swap sides every few laps.

Last edited: