What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney clubs' attendances - interesting stats.

fanatique

Juniors
So for this season the nine Sydney based clubs have played a total of 85 home games. I've been looking at the attendances adn noticing the discrepancy between average across the clubs when playing Sydney opposition and average with playing out of town opposition.

total games: 85. Average attendance 14,044.

Total Sydney "derbies": 45. Average attendance 16,228.

Total VS out of towners: 38. Average attendance 11,343.

Two sydney sides playing each other are good for almost 5,000 a game more than games VS other clubs because of large "away" attendance and old rivalries bringing out the crowds. Should we be fixing the draw to ensure that all Sydney clubs have at lest 8 "derby" homers against other Sydney opposition? I know it is not ideal but it will help us put people in the grounds.

Interested in opinions.

Eels Dude

Coach
Clubs now have the right to nominate between 1 to 15 the clubs they wish to play at home for season. They're not going to get all their preferences but it's a solid start.

It wouldn't work out mathematically as that would mean all non Sydney clubs would be playing a maximum of 4 games in Sydney and every Sydney club would play a maximum of 4 away and that wouldn't be possible.

Just gotta build on hometown support to get crowds up when playing out of Sydney sides.

Terry-Randal

Juniors
I would like to see the old sydney game return it was much more fun i wreckon if the more sydney clubs are axed the game will slowly die. there is so much history and tradition in the sydney clubs u cant just replace that

Just gotta build on hometown support to get crowds up when playing out of Sydney sides.

Exactly. The reason Sydney derbies draw bigger crowds is not because they are more interesting or matter more to the fans. It`s because those crowds include plenty of the away team`s supporters too.

If you had two Brisbane or NZ teams play each other, that would be a sell-out every day of the year.

fanatique

Juniors
Exactly. The reason Sydney derbies draw bigger crowds is not because they are more interesting or matter more to the fans. It`s because those crowds include plenty of the away team`s supporters too.

If you had two Brisbane or NZ teams play each other, that would be a sell-out every day of the year.

I'm not sure that's true attila. I know for me, a Roos fan, beating the likes of the Tigers or Dragons means more than beating say the Cowboys or Warriors. No offence to either team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
breaking news; Local Derbies draw bigger crowds!

Hardly startling revelations. Agree that the draw needs to be structured to give Sydney clubs more derby games, we wouldn't want them going bust because they can't draw their own crowds would we?

Last edited:
but cutting the number of sydney teams is the solution to all of league's ills

you are wrong...

its the eventual solution and where the game needs to be in 10 years or however long. ... just that right now its unfortunate the game can't do it.

ucantseeme

Juniors
ANZ Stadium clean sweeps NRL’s top 8; 5 millionth fans beckons
Friday, 25 July 2008

Following the bumper crowd of 21,818 that saw the Wests Tigers end South Sydney’s record five game winning streak on Sunday afternoon – ANZ Stadium now boasts the top eight crowd attendances for NRL games played in Sydney this season.

The Bulldogs v Roosters clash in Round 4 attracted a massive 36,526 fans to ANZ Stadium and remains the biggest crowd for an NRL game ever in Sydney.

Since opening in 1999, millions of fans have supported their teams at ANZStadiumand in the coming weeks ANZ Stadium will be celebrating a milestone with the five millionth rugby league fan through the gates.

“NRL fans have voted with their feet. Every team that has moved to ANZ Stadium has experienced increases in attendances. They also enjoy world class facilities, easy access to transport & parking, and a family friendly environment. We know these are the key ingredients for increasing fan support.” commented ANZ Stadium Managing Director & CEO Ken Edwards.

TOP 8 NRL Crowds in Sydney
4 April 2008 Bulldogs v Roosters 36,526

14 March 2008 Rabbitohs v Roosters 29,386

15 March 2008 Bulldogs v Parramatta 25,065

15 June 2008 Wests Tigers v Parramatta 22,107

21 March 2008 Bulldogs v Souths 21,839

20 July 2008 Rabbitohs v Wests Tigers 21,818

25 April 2008 Dragons v Roosters 21,596

30 March 2008 Wests Tigers v Bulldogs 21,546

http://www.anzstadium.com.au/News/L...ontentId=26d5e368-56b6-4605-92a0-f6d75b5d6f4e

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe they can celebrate by pulling it down and using the seats to build two decent RL stadiums?

Still crappy crowds compared to the AFL. They really need to look at ticket prices to make it more affordable for people and especially families. Rugby league is supposed to be a working man's game but it can hardly be that if it costs and arm and a leg to attend a match.

Maybe look at bringing in a Saturday afternoon (as opposed to evening) game as well.

TheDalek079

Bench
ANZ Stadium clean sweeps NRL’s top 8; 5 millionth fans beckons
Friday, 25 July 2008

Following the bumper crowd of 21,818 that saw the Wests Tigers end South Sydney’s record five game winning streak on Sunday afternoon – ANZ Stadium now boasts the top eight crowd attendances for NRL games played in Sydney this season.

The Bulldogs v Roosters clash in Round 4 attracted a massive 36,526 fans to ANZ Stadium and remains the biggest crowd for an NRL game ever in Sydney.

Since opening in 1999, millions of fans have supported their teams at ANZStadiumand in the coming weeks ANZ Stadium will be celebrating a milestone with the five millionth rugby league fan through the gates.

“NRL fans have voted with their feet. Every team that has moved to ANZ Stadium has experienced increases in attendances. They also enjoy world class facilities, easy access to transport & parking, and a family friendly environment. We know these are the key ingredients for increasing fan support.” commented ANZ Stadium Managing Director & CEO Ken Edwards.

TOP 8 NRL Crowds in Sydney
4 April 2008 Bulldogs v Roosters 36,526

14 March 2008 Rabbitohs v Roosters 29,386

15 March 2008 Bulldogs v Parramatta 25,065

15 June 2008 Wests Tigers v Parramatta 22,107

21 March 2008 Bulldogs v Souths 21,839

20 July 2008 Rabbitohs v Wests Tigers 21,818

25 April 2008 Dragons v Roosters 21,596

30 March 2008 Wests Tigers v Bulldogs 21,546

http://www.anzstadium.com.au/News/L...ontentId=26d5e368-56b6-4605-92a0-f6d75b5d6f4e

thats out of date. roosters topped 22,000 against manly a couple of weeks ago

big games involving sydney teams at anz stadium can get massive crowds.

tigers, dogs, parra and souths at that ground should get 20,000 minimum, and i expect some 40,000 crowds soon.

36,000 for an ordinary nrl game is fantastic

Loudstrat

Coach
Interesting stats, Fanatique. I guess Newy was counted an a non Sydney team.

I'd bet that Newy and Brisbane account for the lions share of those figures too.

I'ts not about local derbies, Parra v Saints isn't a local darby. However, can ANZ explain why they still have all those empty seats? To look good, ANZ needs at least 28K. There are still too many sub 12k crowds there - which if transferred to Kogarah, Leichhardt, Penrith etc would provide atmosphere.

I still reckon the best atmosphere to a TV audience came when the Tigers played the Titans at Leichhardt, with big games at Newy, Robina, Lang Park and Townsville coming close.

And remember the Chooks jagged over 30k at the SFS a few year back 2 weeks running against Manly and Brisbane. Just a pity the SFS wasn't at Homebush

Terry-Randal

Juniors
tickets should be 5 dollars and pies should be only 10 dollars not 50 lool . Families cant every weak afford to spend 250 bucks at the footy

ucantseeme

Juniors
tickets should be 5 dollars and pies should be only 10 dollars not 50 lool . Families cant every weak afford to spend 250 bucks at the footy

$250? Maybe for the Grand Final. Season tickets for some Sydney clubs are under $200.